Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

That's true. But the role of the media, as outlined by our very Constitution is a watchdog of government and in practice, the watchdog of business. Stewart's whole bent was that CNBC, the network that's supposed to be all about business, was completely ignoring these problems. Cramer himself was advising people to do things he knew could cost them, while his show's slogan was "In Cramer We Trust".

I mostly just think it's funny that a guy running a comedy/pseudo-news program showed himself to be more of a real journalist, a real media professional than a lot of people claiming those titles.

Last edited:
That's true. But the role of the media, as outlined by our very Constitution is a watchdog of government and in practice, the watchdog of business. Stewart's whole bent was that CNBC, the network that's supposed to be all about business, was completely ignoring these problems. Cramer himself was advising people to do things he knew could cost them, while his show's slogan was "In Cramer We Trust".

I mostly just think it's funny that a guy running a comedy/pseudo-news program showed himself to be more of a real journalist, a real media professional than a lot of people claiming those titles.

That's what i like about Stewart, Leno, Colbert and others, they outline the sheer stupidity, basically referring to common sense, which was abandoned by US years ago. Fortunately now in the time of a crisis it's coming back, everywhere, people are starting to ask questions, the govt. machine starts to roll, suddenly you have 10 and 50 billion scams, bonuses, frauds, all on top, and what i really like about it, people are taking action, like that group that that RBS pension banker's mansion.

Most important now is not to sit around, do whatever you can, blog, riot just keep digging into the system, who knows what you could find...

i just saw this on BBC News and made me smile a bit... guess it brings whole new meaning to the 'power to the people' mantra. basically some workers in france for a US Coporation have barricaded their boss inside his office and won't let him come out until he agrees to better working conditions.
found a report on it at the bbc website.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7964122.stm

I strongly oppose religious nutbags who try to place a whole university in their vice for a movement that doesn?t really originare FROM the campus and give a shit about secularism or at least dialogue with People who think different ...
Notre Dame is the largest and most visible Catholic college in America. It is religious nutbags (okay, mainly just drunken douche bags who 30 years from now want to be pious).

i just saw this on BBC News and made me smile a bit... guess it brings whole new meaning to the 'power to the people' mantra. basically some workers in france for a US Coporation have barricaded their boss inside his office and won't let him come out until he agrees to better working conditions.
found a report on it at the bbc website.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7964122.stm
The French always find someone/something to protest and blame right? I have a hard time believing 3M had these people working in shitty conditions or for measly pay. Sounds like they're just being their normal bitchy selves.

The French always find someone/something to protest and blame right? I have a hard time believing 3M had these people working in shitty conditions or for measly pay. Sounds like they're just being their normal bitchy selves.

I believe the strike is due to the bit where the article says :

Technology firm 3M is firing 110 out of 235 workers at the plant.

And, by the by, there is a difference between "I whine and bitch all the time" and "I stand up for workers' rights". The former would be one of those teen-drama characters who waste oxygen by moaning all the time (hello, cast of Twilight).

When the French protest, they tend to do it to improve their working conditions, or to protest against changes to their working conditions that might be a bad thing.

The most recent strikes in France were because unions believed that the President wasn't doing enough to protect French businesses and workers during the credit crunch. One article I read suggested 78% of the French people agreed with him. Previous strikes have been on the subjects of pay, firing government workers and changing hours (among other things).

Compare that to the UK, where the police have to hold a vote to change the fact that legally, they are not allowed to strike, where Parliament has banned any protests within a radius of the Houses of Parliament, and when people do come out en masse, the Government just decide to completely ignore them (see : the huge numbers out against the war and against the fox-hunting ban).

Given a choice between a country when the workers protest too much or a country where the workers don't protest at all, I would choose the former.

Last edited:
I just think the French over-protest. And in this particular instance, I think it's a hugely inappropriate response. You got laid off so go pick your chin up, get a few unemployment checks, and update your resume. Don't lock your former boss in his office (Yes I know he gets food and piss breaks and he ran in their and hid). That's not okay...

10400 the site says now ... wich is as impressive as it is meaningless ... the university has about 11000 Students and 1200 staff, their word should be the only thing that counts on that matter (as it is their big celebrations, not someone elses), not some 10000 (or whatever number) People from "somewhere" ...

While I can understand why you wouldn?t want an American President there (I would hate the security at something like this event, wich should be a celebration for the students), I strongly oppose religious nutbags who try to place a whole university in their vice for a movement that doesn?t really originare FROM the campus and give a shit about secularism or at least dialogue with People who think different ...

Notre Dame is a Catholic university.

http://img14.imageshack.**/img14/3054/500pxnotredamesealsvg19.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Notre_Dame

You see the problem with inviting Obama?

Last edited:
[...]You see the problem with inviting Obama?
No. Even if the Pope himself was the headmaster and the professors were all bishops ... dialoge between people with working brains should always be possible. It?s called civilisation. You talk to People, not "ban" them. I know for a lot of religious People, that?s a strange concept when it comes to People who think differently ... but even Notre Dames President (a catholic priest on top of everything) doesn?t think so narrowminded.

Maybe you should read what this catholic priest has to say on the matter:
http://president.nd.edu/events-and-...enkins-statement-on-2009-commencement-speaker

Last edited:
Notre Dame said:
Dear Class Leaders:

As you know, the University recently announced President Barack Obama will be the principal speaker and recipient of an honorary degree at Notre Dame?s Commencement ceremony this May. President Obama will be the ninth U.S. president to be awarded an honorary degree by the University, and the sixth to be the Commencement speaker. . . .

. . . .

The University does not support President Obama?s positions on specific issues regarding the protection of human life, including abortion and embryonic stem cell research. Notre Dame?s positions on these issues are firm and unwavering. The invitation to the President to be the Commencement speaker shouldn?t be taken as condoning or endorsing his positions that contradict the teachings of the Catholic Church.

Rather, the University has invited the President to campus for what he?s done for racial equality, and for his stands on poverty, health care, immigration, education, infectious disease, and seeking peace. These are causes dear to the heart of Notre Dame, and he has elevated these causes and made them his own.

It adds special significance that the Notre Dame family will hear the Commencement address from our first African-American president, a man who has spoken eloquently on the issue of race in this nation.

That said, presenting a Commencement speaker with an honorary degree does not imply approval of all a person thinks or does. We recognize that the University has differences with the President on specific issues of protecting life, and we hope his visit to campus will provide an opportunity to address our concerns in a dialogue that can deepen over time, and ultimately lead to better policies for protecting life. A policy that is never discussed is policy that is never changed, and we?re going to get more discussion on these issues because of his visit to Notre Dame.

Also, I want to mention that Fr. Hesburgh spoke last Friday evening (3/20) to a group of alumni, parents, and friends who had gathered on campus for the Academic Recognition Weekend. Someone in the group raised the question: what did Fr. Hesburgh think of the University?s announcement of Obama as Commencement speaker? ?No speaker who has ever come to Notre Dame has changed this University, he explained. We are who we are. But, quite often, the very fact of being here has changed the speaker.?

Do we expect President Obama to reverse his stance on life issues after visiting campus? No, but we do expect that the national attention drawn to these matters by virtue of his being here will open up the conversation around these critical issues?and shed light on Notre Dame?s and the Catholic Church?s firm opposition to abortion and embryonic stem cell research.

Your devotion to Notre Dame is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your support and all you do for Our Lady?s University.

For Notre Dame,

Charles F. Lennon Jr. ?61, ?62 M.A.
Executive Director, Notre Dame Alumni Association
Are you kidding me, I live 15 minutes away from Notre Dame and I didn't even think this was enough of an issue to post here.

By the way Father Hesburgh is the most level-headed, common sensical person ever. I don't think I've ever heard him say something that didn't make immediate and perfect sense. Even though I'm a die hard Wolverines fan, Notre Dame is a great school, what sets them apart is the fact that they are very grounded in values and ethics, which they take into their different areas of study. And that's not a bad thing, ever been to one of those liberal studies schools?

Plus this way Obama is only a twenty minute flight to Chicago.

Last edited:
By the way Father Hesburgh is the most level-headed, common nonsensical person ever. I don't think I've ever heard him say something that didn't make immediate and perfect sense.
I'll second that, after reading that letter and reading some more about him. It's quite warming to hear of such level-headedness in this day and age of fundamentalism.

That's what i like about Stewart, Leno, Colbert and others, they outline the sheer stupidity, basically referring to common sense, which was abandoned by US years ago. Fortunately now in the time of a crisis it's coming back, everywhere, people are starting to ask questions, the govt. machine starts to roll, suddenly you have 10 and 50 billion scams, bonuses, frauds, all on top, and what i really like about it, people are taking action, like that group that that RBS pension banker's mansion.

Most important now is not to sit around, do whatever you can, blog, riot just keep digging into the system, who knows what you could find...

For Brits, I present Charlie Brooker's Newswipe. Brilliant stuff.

Also on Youtube, I believe.

My colleagues and I at Reprieve are delighted that the attorney general has done the right thing and referred Binyam Mohamed's case to the director of public prosecutions.

Ever since the government referred the matter to the attorney general, there have been complaints about the appropriateness of such a move. It was a problem of "neither fish nor fowl". The attorney general was not the director of public prosecutions, nor was she an independent inquirer. Further, her inquiry did not seem to be moving fast. Reprieve, which probably has more documents on this case than any other organisation, except possibly the intelligence services, offered Baroness Scotland access to those documents in December. To date, she has still not requested to see any of those documents.

So, it is extremely welcome that she is now handing the matter over to the DPP and the police. Indeed, it is right ? the British intelligence services were complicit in Binyam's torture and such a serious case should be referred to the DPP, so that the police can investigate and the DPP can consider whether or not prosecution is needed.

Any investigation will need to have access to classified documents. Central to the inquiry will be those referred to by the British court, which comprise the correspondence between the US and UK intelligence services. These will be vital for any prosecution to establish the requisite knowledge on the part of the UK intelligence services. These documents include the lists of questions the UK intelligence services sent to the CIA to be put to Binyam after they knew that he had vanished from the jail in Pakistan.

It is, above all, crucial that the police investigation has proper scope. As Binyam himself says, we shouldn't just blame the "little guys". We believe that Agent B and his direct superiors were involved in illegal behaviour, but the investigation should not stop there. It seems very likely that Agent B was acting with authorisation and the question must be how far up the line that authorisation went, both in the UK and the US. Agent B must not be the scapegoat: if his actions were sanctioned, the person at the top of the chain of command who sanctioned those actions must be held responsible and accountable. For the investigation to be meaningful, questions will need to be asked about who knew about the intelligence services' questioning of Binyam.

And this does not remove the need for an independent review of the government's conduct generally in the "war on terror". The investigation of this individual case will not cover the question of whether or not the government has been involved in the systematic rendition and abuse of prisoners. One only has to look at the way in which parliament has been misled on this ? first, in relation to whether or not Diego Garcia was used to enable rendition, and second, the admission from Defence Secretary Hutton that British forces were involved in the rendition of prisoners from Afghanistan to Iraq. An independent inquiry is necessary to bring all of this into the open and restore confidence in this government.

Finally, if it is the case that highly-placed UK and US personnel were also complicit in Binyam's torture, there is the question of what happens then. Will those people be prosecuted? Will the US personnel be extradited to the UK for prosecution? This situation could be an embarrassing illustration of the weakness of our extradition treaty with the US. Under that treaty, we are allowing British national Gary McKinnon to be extradited to the US for hacking into the Pentagon looking for UFOs. It is somewhat unpalatable that the same treaty will very likely not allow US personnel guilty of war crimes to be extradited to the UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/mar/26/binyam-mohamed-torture

Best comment:

So millions of British taxpayers' money are going to be spent on investigating claims made by a man who isn't British, who was apprehended in a country that isn't Britain, and imprisoned in another country that isn't Britain where he was allegedly tortured by some non-British people to whom some British intelligence officers may or may not have supplied a few questions.

Utter madness.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentis...ommentid=570e1e58-3153-4d9b-ba85-01dfe2add9e0

I fail to see what all the outcry is about. So they may have roughed a few people up, so what? As mentioned previously I really have no problem with torture as long it is done right. Some fail to remember that we are indeed in a conflict.

I'm mostly of the opinion that this guy was doing something fishy, you don't go jumping around in pakistan and intelligence nabs you for just a being in the wrong place in the wrong time. Its possible that he was doing something that he didn't want on the radar. They can do a 'independent enquiry' as much as they want but i highly doubt that MI5 or the CIA will be willing to give up any of their secrets.
As for torture, like the previous post i'm all for it if its done right and terrorists are the ones being tortured. They don't have the same respect for life so i don't have any problem with them having simulated drowning.
What annoys me even more is the politicians using this for their political gain. Yesterday David Cameron was saying that the enquiry should look and clarify if Britain used torture... he just wants the higher moral ground. If a few religous zealots have to have their balls shocked in order to prevent another 9/11 or London Bombing, i'm all for it. As Eric Cartman would put it... "Tree hugging bunch of hippies!"

I fail to see what all the outcry is about. So they may have roughed a few people up, so what?
Yeah, due process, habeas corpus, whatever. That's just a bunch of liberal crap. I mean, obviously someone did something wrong if they're in the custody of the police or an intelligence agency, right? So they probably deserve to get the shit kicked out of them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090327/ap_on_re_us/hamas_iran_lawsuit

WASHINGTON ? A federal judge on Friday ordered Iran to pay $25 million plus interest to the family of Israeli soldier Nachshon Wachsman, who was kidnapped and executed by Hamas in 1994.
Wachsman was a 19-year-old U.S. citizen and Israeli army corporal when he was taken by four members of Hamas, designated a terrorist organization by the United States. His abduction damaged Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations at the time, as he pleaded on videotape for his life.
Wachsman's mother and six brothers filed the lawsuit in 2006 against Iran and its ministry of information and security, saying Tehran was responsible for the death because it provided training and support to Hamas. Iran has refused to respond to the lawsuit, resulting in a default judgment in favor of Wachsman's family.

Utter bullshit. The judge needs to be thrown off the bench.

The court found that several of the Hamas members instrumental in Wachsman's abduction and execution either received terrorist training by Iran's Revolutionary Guard or were related to those who received the training.

"The financial support, tactical training and political direction that Iran provided to Hamas proximately caused the abduction and execution of Nachshon," Urbina concluded.
The court says it can issue a ruling against Iran from Washington for several reasons, including that this case involves a hostage taking of a U.S. citizen; that the plaintiffs are U.S. citizens; and that similar conduct by U.S. agents within the United States could be subject to a similar lawsuit.

Didn't a US court handle the suits against Libya after they shot down that flight in the '80s?

Yeah, due process, habeas corpus, whatever. That's just a bunch of liberal crap. I mean, obviously someone did something wrong if they're in the custody of the police or an intelligence agency, right? So they probably deserve to get the shit kicked out of them.

The man was neither British nor American. As such our Constitution does not apply and neither does the laws of the British government. I would never advocate torturing an American citizen.

What about in a ticking bomb scenario? American citizens have bombed their own country before, so why wouldn't you torture them?

The court says it can issue a ruling against Iran from Washington for several reasons, including that this case involves a hostage taking of a U.S. citizen; that the plaintiffs are U.S. citizens; and that similar conduct by U.S. agents within the United States could be subject to a similar lawsuit.

But he was fighting for a foreign army.

Still hadn't forfeited his US citizenship (don't get me wrong, when you join another nations army you should automatically forfeit your American citizenship). And the other points still stand concerning his family and the relative illegality on American soil.