Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

I read a very nice comment last year in regards to all the conspiracy theory bullshit making the rounds regarding covid and the protests etc... and the main point it boiled down to was basically people are protesting for their right to be overstrained* [intellectually] by modern society. I feel this is pretty much in a similar vain.

May be lacking a bit here, but it was rather nicely put...

* not sure about the choice of words here. meaning in the sense of being asked too much of

So they unconsciously want to be mentally taxed, so they seek out easily debunked ideas and defend them with their life (say in the case of the Q driven January 6th US Capitol insurrection)?

Is there a certain type of person this effects more than others? Or is it fairly universal?

So they unconsciously want to be mentally taxed, so they seek out easily debunked ideas and defend them with their life (say in the case of the Q driven January 6th US Capitol insurrection)?
Oh no, they don't quite understand how the world really works, so they fall prey to everything that looks like an easy and obvious explanation - even if that is riddled with holes and crazy conspiracy theories. It's a combination of not being able to properly ask the right questions (education) and not wanting to...
I think the defending the stuff with their life is just human nature - a coping mechanism or not wanting to admit you're wrong :dunno:

Yes there is a certain type of person that is affected... of course... :| You'll also find those people in well-educated circles, but there's a definite (shall we say) imbalance... ugh...

Oh no, they don't quite understand how the world really works, so they fall prey to everything that looks like an easy and obvious explanation - even if that is riddled with holes and crazy conspiracy theories. It's a combination of not being able to properly ask the right questions (education) and not wanting to...
I think the defending the stuff with their life is just human nature - a coping mechanism or not wanting to admit you're wrong :dunno:

Yes there is a certain type of person that is affected... of course... :| You'll also find those people in well-educated circles, but there's a definite (shall we say) imbalance... ugh...

I understand now. It is more likely to effect your crazy uncle rather than your well educated cousin.

I personally know a guy that was at the capital on the 6th. He didn't go into the capital, but did walk up and look through the windows.

I wonder how much these types are emboldened by their leaders ignoring reality and feeding them the BS they love so much? Specifically I am thinking of the January 6th insurrection and the need of the GOP to downplay the events so they don't loose their base. It's like the worst feedback loop ever.

Is there a certain type of person this effects more than others? Or is it fairly universal?
I think it’s fairly universal, but not always political. Since it’s impossible to know a lot about every subject you come across, everyone will be insecure about something at some point.

Depending on the perceived importance of that subject, the person in question (upbringing, values, health etc.) and their surroundings (availability of necessities, peer pressure, job issues etc.), that insecurity will show in different ways.

When lots of Germans were insecure about the very important issue of their own livelihoods and their surroundings looked more than bleak after “Black Friday”, the Nazis had it easy and weaponised the already widespread antisemitism.

Something something Godwin's ;)

I agree with you though. though we cannot chuck it all to intellectual laziness and a contempt for professionalism, it is unsurprising that people will unconsciously seek out the easy explanation for things that he wishes to know about, but not enough to have a genuine interest of. This will create gaps in knowledge that will be easily filled by the first result in google or the shared post by a friend or coworker.

A general increase in critical thinking and a reduction in overall laziness would do wonders to solve these issues. It creates another ones in which an argument can become even more polarized as people find different and objectively true facts to support their reasoning (see the recent increase in fuel prices as an example in current affairs or the "Airplane on a treadmill" problem for one that isn't) but I would argue that the nitpicky stereotype is a better opponent than the "lazy ignoramus" stereotype.

Though since I'm asking for things, I want a US Visa :p

This is extremely dark for a guy with his finger on the button.

I think I stumbled across that quote from Putin on reddit. Don't really know what to make of it myself, but someone argued that this may be a remnant from the cold war / soviet era (ofc may still be relevant today): People "on the other side" seem happy and content, but they're really not. It's all an illusion, so better get on with your bleak life and the comforting feeling of knowing better.

So I feel this is political in how it's being used.

Stay with me

In an article headlined:
Screenshot_20210622-172903.png

Fox News post a tweet by the FOP without fact checking

Screenshot_20210622-173040.png

Now that line on Portland sticks out. At first glance I knew something was wrong. Fox News doesn't have this basic skill.

Screenshot_20210622-173102.png

2017 -63 homicides
2018 - 64 homicides
2019 - 35 homicides
2020 - 57 homicides
2021 so far 38 homicides

So it hasn't increased 500% has it. In fact its still relatively low... So why are they gaslighting the public to fear crime?

Last edited:
The data is certainly cherrypicked. The first 5 months of 2021 have had 5x-7x more homicides than the first 5 months of 2020. But...the first 5 months of 2020 were...well...basically unlike any other 5-month period in modern decades. Shooting, though, compared to the same time period in 2019, are up considerably. Not sure if 2019 was an unusually-low outlier, though, so I don't have that context.

It's a con and In the greater appreciation of time crime is still at a historic low over the last 50 years.

Which reminds me of the use of lead in gasoline. Is the fall in crime related to that or is just a coincidence?
I'm sure the growing use of antipsychotic contributed as well though look at prison documentaries that say half their inmates deserve a psychiatric care facility. It seems were good with catching criminals but the punishment of time out only temporarily restrains them till returning them to commit crimes. We need a system that would build a life they wouldn't want to throw away but considering Republicans view on helping people...

Unhinged squared :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A statement from NSA:

Hopefully they will be able to also find all the communist and critical race theories running around taking potato heads too.

Where are the people with the funny white coats?

Capitol rioter accompanied members of Congress on trip to US-Mexico border​

A conservative YouTuber who participated in the January 6 riot accompanied Republican members of Congress on a trip to the border Tuesday night, serving as a translator at times.

Stone shady:

Broke Roger Stone’s Very ‘Shady’ Condo Purchase​

Roger Stone somehow secured a $400,000 mortgage while facing a $1.5 million federal lien and owing the IRS roughly $2 million.