Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

That's not something I'd say out loud.

That's why I typed it. : 😝

This is just a case of a broken clock is right twice a day. And that is giving Hawley a lot more credit than he deserves!

Barron Trump will serve as a Florida delegate at the GOP convention​

Barron Trump, the youngest of the former president's children, will make his political debut this summer as a delegate at the Republican National Convention.

His name appears on a list of Florida delegates — along with other members of the Trump family — at the GOP convention in Milwaukee in July. The list, released Wednesday, also includes Eric Trump, Donald Trump Jr. and his fiancée Kimberly Guilfoyle, and Tiffany Trump and her husband, Michael Boulos.

So it's official: the "leave their children alone when it comes to reporting on politicians" gloves can come off when not only are they 18+, but also actively involved in the politicking, right?

Barron Trump declines to serve as a Florida delegate at the GOP convention​

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/09/1250277468/barron-trump-delegate-republican-national-convention

Prior commitments? Right, sure, whatever you say.

Tax revenue jumps 22% in April, but U.S. deficit still looms large​

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/10/1250541183/tax-revenue-irs-treasury-deficit-surplus-us

Extending the 2017 cuts will add an estimated $5 trillion to the deficit.

Texas: white man pardoned for shooting black man who legally carried gun while black.

You have a second amendment and if that person is scary you can kill em...

I caught this on the news feed earlier. It is unfortunate if it is just a crash, but I sense it is not, or will be spun into something it isn't.

Some reports that Iran has had difficultly buying and servicing helicopters since the Shah fell in 1979 with all the sanctions.

Iranian state TV has confirmed the death of the president, see the BBC link above.

Though I am sure that many would like to see a less hardline politician follow him, I imagine that any power struggle will be strictly internal. And the final say in any political decision will remain with Khamenei anyway.

So.... today marks the 75th birthday of the German Basic Law, or as other countries would call it, our constitution. Hurray! :)

Incidentally, that also means that tomorrow is the 75th anniversary of the founding of the Federal Republic of Germany. The Basic Law came into effect at the end of the 23rd of May 1949, so with the beginning of May 24th, the country came into existence.

... we really should have a holiday on this day of the year.

So.... today marks the 75th birthday of the German Basic Law, or as other countries would call it, our constitution. Hurray! :)

Incidentally, that also means that tomorrow is the 75th anniversary of the founding of the Federal Republic of Germany. The Basic Law came into effect at the end of the 23rd of May 1949, so with the beginning of May 24th, the country came into existence.

... we really should have a holiday on this day of the year.
Congratulations! It should be a day of celebration! 🎉

By comparison, 17.05 which is our national day, commemorating our constitution from 1814 is a national holiday in Norway, flag waving, national-anthem singing and all...