Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

Just a pity they decided to make the second ammendment about guns, and not caffene/alcoholic drinks.
Heh, given how perpetually shit-faced our founding fathers were it's surprising that such an amendment wasn't included.

"Apparently the prosecutor ran out of patience." (Assange's lawyer) No shit? Funny how touchy authorities get when you've been accused of a serious crime and then not only avoid talking to them, but leave the country entirely. If the charges really are trumped up garbage, then Assange shouldn't have anything to worry about.

It looks like politics. The Swedish government has shown their villingness to take instructions from Washington before, and there's nothing really wrong in charging someone. It's up to the court to decide guilt.

Another point is that this probably is the best investegated rape case in Sweden for the last.. five hundered years. So there's a higher chance of case coming to court.

This is not just a rape case. It's a rape case with high visibility, there's politics involved. And there's one of Sweden's most prominent allies for the last 60 years pushing it.

It might be true. It might not. I don't think the latter would stop the Swedish government from prosecuting him if it was true.

A friend doesn't slap his children around because a friend asks him to.

No shit! :p

On to other things......

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/spy-talk/2010/11/pot_growers_portrayed_as_terro.html

Pot growers portrayed as terror threat

By Jeff Stein
What were they smoking?

Federal, state and local officials carrying out a counter-terrorism drill in Northern California Wednesday played out a scenario in which local marijuana growers set off bombs and took over the Shasta Dam, the nation?s second largest, to free an imprisoned comrade.

According to an account in the Redding (Calif.) Record Searchlight, the 12-hour drill was part of the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation's Critical Infrastructure Crisis Response Exercise Program, begun in 2003.

?More than 250 people from more than 20 agencies took part,? said Sheri Harral, a spokeswoman for the Bureau of Reclamation, according to the paper.

Harral said the drill took 18 months to plan and cost the bureau alone $500,000. The other agencies covered their own costs.

The paper made only passing reference to the scenario's designation of pot growers as terrorist villians.

In the otherwise realistic mock-terror scenario, the marijuana growers? ?red cell? set off bus and car bombs as distractions, took over the dam with three hostages, and then ?threatened to flood the Sacramento River by rolling open the drum gates atop the dam,? according to the paper.

No matter how worthwhile a drill, said marijuana legalization advocates, envisioning pot growers as a terrorist threat in laid-back Northern California was ridiculous.

"That was so stupid," said Dale Gieringer, head of the California chapter of NORML, the decades-old National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

"I don't know what inspired it,? Gieringer told the Drug War Chronicle. ?I can see the need to do better pat downs for air travelers to make sure they're not holding joints in their underpants, but this? It sounds like something some yahoo redneck county sheriff would dream up."

Harral did not return the Chronicle?s call for comment and could not be immediately reached by SpyTalk.

In a confidential catalogue of terrorist threats, uncovered by Congressional Quarterly in 2005, the Department of Homeland Security did not include the region's marijuana growers.

In August, however, the Big Valley News in Madera, Calif reported that the federal High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas program "has been studying the escalating violence associated with the growing of cannabis throughout California."

It said, "The increasing involvement of highly organized drug trafficking organizations protecting their investment or competing for territory and market share has elevated the dangers surrounding cannabis growing from 'pot users merely growing their stash' to...a 'marijuana war.'"

Seriously? Have they ever meet a grower? Most are laid back peeps. The only reason most of them are committing any crime is because the plant they grow is illegal. In my opinion, they need to stick to the real terrorists, they are the ones trying to feed us bullshit.

You ever met a large scale commercial grower? There are areas of national parks around here you don't go in because of them. Not all are relaxed stoners. CA is worse in this regard then up here.

Agreed. The large commercial operations backed by the cartels use lethal booby traps and armed guards to defend the crops. I've known guys out riding single-track trails on their adventure bikes get chased out of areas. Guys started coming out of the woods at the sound of the motorcycle and the riders took off, not wanting to stick around to find out what was up. Only later that day they were warned not to travel in that area because of the growers.

yes, I do know all about them. They are not the average grower. Most of them are Mexican cartel operations, and they don't go out and cause problems like those protrayed in that exercise. It is more propaganda. If they would of said "Mexican cartel" or something similar, I wouldn't of said anything. There is more than enough proof that they operate on both sides of the border.

The fact that the sate and federal forests/lands are being used for illegal growing is just one more reason to end the prohibition and legalize and regulate Marijuana and other "drugs". (Marijuana is not a drug, it is a plant)

So is opium and cocaine.

yes, I do know all about them. They are not the average grower. Most of them are Mexican cartel operations, and they don't go out and cause problems like those protrayed in that exercise. It is more propaganda. If they would of said "Mexican cartel" or something similar, I wouldn't of said anything. There is more than enough proof that they operate on both sides of the border.

The fact that the sate and federal forests/lands are being used for illegal growing is just one more reason to end the prohibition and legalize and regulate Marijuana and other "drugs". (Marijuana is not a drug, it is a plant)
Except your talking about Redding, CA not MI. Average grower out here is different than in the Mid-East.

Speaking of the Mid-East. How annoying is it that areas that are East of the central corridor of the states are referred to as 'Mid-West'. No. Damn it, you're the Mid-East. The Mid-West is Colorado. And we're the Pacific god damn Northeast. Doubt me? Look at a map.

/drinking

Flat states are the Mid West. Once you hit the Front Range you get to The West. By the time you hit Utah, Wyoming, and Idaho you are in the Intermountain West. Anything west of the Intermountain West is Crazy Town.

Intermountain West? WTF is that? Mid-West. It's like NNW. Somewhere between NW and North. You are Mid-West. STFU with your Intermountain crap. :|

Yeah. I'm gonna censor myself and step away from FG before I get drunk. I'm just feisty and tipsy right now. No need to upset Blind...

You need to do way more than that to upset me. I'm just giving you shit right now.

Except your talking about Redding, CA not MI. Average grower out here is different than in the Mid-East.

You are buying into the hype. That is the group that is used to exploit public fear. I highly doubt that most of the growers in California are using public land.

And I agree about the mid east thing. but the phrase stuck after the Louisiana Purchase, and was extended later on.

A lady at work today belives that if euthanasia is legalized we'll end up killing all 80+ year olds, that we should not give teenagers the pill and that homosexual marriage is wrong because she heard stories of gay couples whom pay some woman in Africa to bear their child.

Yeah....

Last edited:
A lady at work today belives that if euthanasia is legalized we'll end up killing all 80+ year olds, that we should not give teengares the pill and that homosexual marriage is wrong because she heard stories of gay couples whom pay some woman in Africa to bear their child.

Yeah....
See Europe, it's not just Alabama. Or Kentucky. Or Idaho. Or Montana. Well...it's not just America.

See Europe, it's not just Alabama. Or Kentucky. Or Idaho. Or Montana. Well...it's not just America.

No, it's just the second most communist-hating nation on earth.

:p