Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

Apparently, the 14 Senate Democrats have fled from Wisconsin rather than show up for today's session. Holy fucking shit, I live in Egypt!

Something similar happened in Texas a few years ago. The Republican legislature was going to gerrymander the federal and state legislative districts so badly that it would disenfranchise many voters and shut democrats out of office for a decade.

Tom DeLay ended up getting convicted of money laundering in relation to this scheme so the Democrats used unorthodox methods to delay/prevent something that they thought was illegal.

Turned out it was related to illegal acts.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/11/nation/la-na-tom-delay-20110111

Reporting from Austin, Texas ? Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay was sentenced Monday to three years in prison for his role in a money-laundering scheme that helped Republicans reshape Texas politics nearly a decade ago.

State District Judge Pat Priest rejected a defense request for probation and said he agreed with a jury's November verdict that DeLay illegally helped funnel $190,000 in corporate money to Republican candidates for the Texas Legislature in 2002, a violation of state law. That money helped the GOP gain control of the Texas House, a power the party used to redraw congressional boundaries following a plan DeLay helped engineer.

They're just trying to accomplish their own political goals. I can't blame them for it, since I'm on their side. I suppose you could say that it's even more disrespectful to worker's rights and possibly even human rights, to allow such a despotic piece of legislation through. The fact that the governor has flinched in the face of this opposition is evidence that he realizes that it's not union-supporters who are in the wrong (disrespectful), but he himself.

It is also a common conservative rallying cry that public employees are overpaid plus just over compensated in general and by reducing that the deficit can be vastly reduced. The thing is it just isn't true. The state benefits are a little on the high side when compared to private counterparts, possibly too high yes, but the pay is a lot less. You see those surveys that public employees make XXX more then private employees but it is conveniently left out that most jobs for the state require some kind of higher degree. Lots of low end private jobs don't so of course the pay for gov't employees is higher when those jobs are factored in.

Typically the conservatives want to eliminate these jobs or fill them with private contractors. The problem is private contractors typically cost more then the regular gov't employees they replace. I don't have any stories about WI in particular but there are plenty about the federal gov't and I am sure the results for WI are similar.

http://www.npr.org/2010/11/11/131250179/gop-eyes-cutting-federal-bureaucracy-to-save-money

Interpreting The Numbers

Organizations have reached different conclusions about how much government employees make in comparison with workers in the private sector. Here are links to:

* The Heritage Foundation's take, which found that the current federal system "provides total compensation on the order of 30 percent to 40 percent above similarly skilled private sector workers."
* An Opposing View From The Center For American Progress, which says overall comparisons are often flawed because "federal workers on average not only are better educated than those in the private sector ... but also more experienced."
* The National Institute On Retirement Security And The Center For State And Local Government Excellence's look at local and state workers' wages, which they say are "lower than those for private sector workers with comparable earnings determinants."

With deficit reduction one of the top priorities of Republican leaders in the new Congress, the debate over where to cut government spending is likely to get heated in the coming months. One area where GOP leaders are already pointing is the federal workforce, which some Republicans believe is too big and overpaid.

The nation's 2 million federal workers are a tempting target for Republican deficit cutters, including the man likely to be the House majority leader in the next Congress, Eric Cantor.

The federal bureaucracy has grown at a pace unseen, certainly, in the private sector," he said on CNN the morning after voters swept his party into power. "We've seen pay scales for federal employees grow nearly double in some cases to those market rates. We've got to bring those down to a level which reflects the marketplace today. That will save billions of dollars as well."

How many billions of dollars could be cut from the budget if federal salaries were capped or cut? According to the Heritage Foundation, taxpayers would save $47 billion if federal workers were paid at the same rate as private sector employees.

James Sherk, a researcher with Heritage, says the federal pay system is badly broken.

"On average, the government is paying a typical employee 30 to 40 percent more in total benefits ? both wages and salaries ? than a similarly educated and skilled private sector would receive," he says. "But ... there are, in fact, some federal employees who are getting underpaid because the federal pay system doesn't reward experience or hard work ? it's basically entirely seniority-based."

But not everyone agrees with the Republicans' numbers on federal wages. The government itself, in a recent report by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, said federal workers actually make about 22 percent less than their private sector counterparts.

It's widely accepted by both sides that the government's highest-paid employees ? government prosecutors, Veterans Affairs doctors and researchers ? do earn much less working for Uncle Sam than they would be likely to in the private sector.

Republican Jason Chaffetz of Utah may have a big say about what Republicans in Congress do about federal salaries this year. He is now the top Republican on the subcommittee with oversight of the federal workforce and could wind up as chairman of the panel. Chaffetz says private employers have tightened their belts, and it's time for the federal government to do the same.

"We're going to have to figure out how to do more with less, and a significant portion of our budget is the federal payroll," he says. "So, as a Republican, I want to live up to the obligation made in the Pledge to America, and that is to freeze the hiring and cap federal pay."

But John Gage, president of the American Federation of Government Employees, the largest union for government workers, says most government workers are not getting rich.

"Some of these wages ? I mean, people really have to look at it," Gage says. "You know, a border patrol agent makes $34,000; meat and poultry inspectors, $31,000; VA nursing assistant in Chicago, $27,000. So there's really a lot of misinformation. But going after federal pay is more ideological rather than a fiscal solution."

Paul Light, a professor of public service at New York University who specializes in the federal workforce, says cutting federal salaries or jobs has been tried before. It doesn't usually save much, he says, and may end up costing taxpayers even more.

"Largely because the jobs migrate to contractors or the jobs are eventually filled in other ways," he says. "It's not a way to save money. It is a way, if done well, to improve government performance. But that may involve significant injections of new money for things like better technology, better training and so forth."

Light notes that there are already three times as many government contractors as there are direct employees.

The chairman of the federal deficit commission, meanwhile, added more fuel to the fire Wednesday, suggesting a three-year freeze on federal salaries and a 10 percent cut in the number of federal workers.

For the federal gov't at least the vast majority of the budget and the vast majority of the deficit is defense, medicare, medicaid and lastly social security. Think of the federal gov't as an insurance company with an army. You could fire the rest of the gov't but as long as you leave those four parts alone it would barely change the federal budget at all.

http://www.rand.org/publications/randreview/issues/spring2009/cost1.html

Beyond identifying the key causes of rising costs, we offer suggestions for reducing government expenditures while enhancing government effectiveness. We summarize our conclusions here:

* Curtail the overuse of contractors. The U.S. government needs to bring the unfettered use of private contractors under control. The overuse of contractors appears to be costing taxpayers more money rather than saving it, and shortages of government employees limit the government?s ability to monitor those same contractors.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/02/eye_opener_homeland_security_h.html

Happy Wednesday! Officials at the Department of Homeland Security have told lawmakers in recent weeks that it employs more private contractors than government employees, a revelation that shouldn't surprise close observers of the department's seven-year history.

The department estimates it employs 200,000 contractors and roughly 188,000 federal employees, a total that does not include uniformed members of the Coast Guard.

It seems the Republican leader in Wisconsin sent State Troopers to the house of the Democrat leader to remind him of his obligations. Apparently freedom to do what you want - including freedom of movement - doesn't apply in all cases, then.

I'm no expert in Wisconsin state law, but I think that sounds a lot like some sort of illegal use of power.

I think they are within their rights(legally, not morally) to send an over paid public servant, who is most likely in a union, on an errand to deliver a message that could be more cheaply delivered by a private company. However, they can not force them to show up.

Probably, but we all know that a state trooper won't be sent if you don't want to intimidate the recipiant.

I need to call my parents to see what they think of what is going on in Madison; they have lived there for now 51 years and had witnessed first hand the protests in the 1960's.

My Father was the Southern Wisconsin DOT contractor, and if he was still working would be affected by this, but he wouldn't. I remember when I was tossing around the idea of saving via a 401k he told ne that, even though his pension was paid, he still put away 10% additional in to it, 10% into stocks and bonds, and 5% into savings. When you guys read about how I grew up with really no money in a nice neighborhood, that is why.
Now with his pension and money market accounts he is earning 150% of what he did when working. Bottom line is, he didn't trust politicians to make the right decisions, and made his own. I hope after the dust settles the union types realize this also.

Back to the protests, the 800 pound gorilla in the room is either the union takes it on the chin and retains jobs, or they win and 20,000 jobs get cut. Really, nobody wins in this situation.

JAY:

Your dad was a smart chap then as I expect that he still is! Personally I have a base living standard which I have to have for the Mrs and Kids - everything else goes to the Pension - it is getting harder though.

Last edited:
Just a note to all those who've read about the riots in Bahrain, most of us are well away from those areas, that's centred in the main central area of the capital, im quite far in the 'burbs and most of the country is as quiet, there may have been bloodshed and mayhem over the past few days, but most of us havent heard or seen anything out of our windows other than more cops on the roads and an occasional military humvee.

Last edited:
:lol: i thought NB was a person, my mistake, i read that wrong, i havent read note bene on the internet on quite a while, i forget people with a vocabulary are more common on FG

Many Foreigners are unaware of what exact version of English they are learning too. Anyhow - I am so glad you are safe - please keep so we would miss our Bahrain contributors greatly if they could not post. You guys are some of the best.

Talked to my parents about the protests; they both agreed that there are problems on both sides, but Governor Walker is not being very tactful or diplomatic about it. If you are wondering their political persuasion it is absolutely neutral, they bitch about either party. :lol:
Mom made a good point that when Democrats in US Congress rushed things through, it resulted in them losing the house, and she felt that Republicans are doing the same; too fast for people to adjust to.

Just a note to all those who've read about the riots in Bahrain, most of us are well away from those areas, that's centred in the main central area of the capital, im quite far in the 'burbs and most of the country is as quiet, there may have been bloodshed and mayhem over the past few days, but most of us havent heard or seen anything out of our windows other than more cops on the roads and an occasional military humvee.

Just glad to hear you guys are OK.
Keep safe, dudes! :cool:

Many Foreigners are unaware of what exact version of English they are learning too.
We learned British English in school, and my oral English is more influenced by British TV than American.

Anyhow - I am so glad you are safe - please keep so we would miss our Bahrain contributors greatly if they could not post. You guys are some of the best.
Seconded.

Talked to my parents about the protests; they both agreed that there are problems on both sides, but Governor Walker is not being very tactful or diplomatic about it. If you are wondering their political persuasion it is absolutely neutral, they bitch about either party. :lol:
Mom made a good point that when Democrats in US Congress rushed things through, it resulted in them losing the house, and she felt that Republicans are doing the same; too fast for people to adjust to.
It isn't rushed when the GOP does it, it's patriotic.

The best double standard is Sarah Palin attacking Michell Obama over her breastfeeding plan.

Clearly not the same Sarah Palin who said, in 2007, "NOW, THEREFORE, I, Sarah Palin, Governor of the State of Alaska, do hereby proclaim October 2007 as: Breastfeeding Awareness Month in Alaska, and encourage all residents to recognize and support the important contributions breastfeeding makes in improving the quality of life for all Alaskans."