Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

Considering that liberals are advocates for the redistribution of wealth, I consider them to be far-left.

Considering that liberals are advocates for the redistribution of wealth, I consider them to be far-left.

If you mean that liberals support a progressive tax system, which the western world has been using pretty much since the invention of the income tax, then I see no way in which that classifies anyone as far-left.

And Obama has supported numerous spending bills that have cuts to all portions of the budget.

As of a few minutes ago, Hugo Chavez is pushing up the daisies.

You, young man, are a typical case of a pampered adolescent who has no idea what he is talking about. On multiple levels.

Sorry for getting a bit ad hominem, but I'd like you to do some reading on basic concepts of politics and the meanings of certain positions and their relationship to each other. It would save you the embarrassment of posting stuff like above.

-First of all, not all liberals are for the redistribution of wealth. Some liberals merely support equal opportunities, which includes things like free healthcare and higher education with no advance tuition, but no redistribution.
-Second, not every kind of redistribution means stealing from the rich (aka your parents) and giving to the poor. Some way of redistribution, like, let's say, progressive income tax, are mere measures of the not-too-leftie concept of "each to his own abilities".
-Third, redistribution of wealth is not a far-right position by any means. It's a moderate-left, classic social democrat/labor movement position. Taking every capitalist, every rich man and hanging them from the nearest tree while dispossessing their property is a far-left position.
-Fourth, if you'd have done a little reading on US history you'd know that Obama is quite a right-wing president for a Democrat. His positions on all major issues (including welfare and taxes) are similar to Nixon's, who, last time I checked, was not exactly a commie.

As of a few minutes ago, Hugo Chavez is pushing up the daisies.
RIP, Hugo. I did not agree with you on many issues, but just seeing you trolling the US was great fun.

Last edited:
This is what happens when the commander in chief is literally incapable of working with the opposition. Unfortunately, no one is going to blame him with the watchdog mainstream media siding with the president.

I think you need to go revisit the last 4 years.

It would be very difficult for Republicans to compromise with the far left's idea of bipartisanship is raising taxes while cutting only military spending.

You mean the same guy who INCREASED the militaries budget his first 4 years in office? That guy?

RIP, Hugo. I did not agree with you on many issues, but just seeing you trolling the US was great fun.

Speaking of people who trolled the United States, is Fidel Castro still alive? The last pictures I saw of him showed him to be in a very frail state.

Wanting rich people to pay the same rate as the middle class is not redistribution of wealth, it is just equal taxation. It is just fair for those that have been fortunate to pay the same rate.

Wanting rich people to pay the same rate as the middle class is not redistribution of wealth, it is just equal taxation. It is just fair for those that have been fortunate to pay the same rate.

I would argue that Mitt Romney paying 13% or so of taxes is still more than a majority of the population at 20-30%.

So this election in Italy may or may not make me lose faith in my second country completely...
The going price for a votes in some parts of Italy is 50-1000 EUR for general elections and 25-50 EUR in local ones. Fair enough. May explain why Burlesconi bass all the Sicilian seats as he is supposed to be mates with the Mafia. (Source a recent BBC 4 Documentary about Italy and Italian ploitics.)

Um Chavez - careful what you wish for the replacement may be even worse.

- - - Updated - - -

The going price for a votes in some parts of Italy is 50-1000 EUR for general elections and 25-50 EUR in local ones. Fair enough. May explain why Burlesconi bass all the Sicilian seats as he is supposed to be mates with the Mafia. (Source a recent BBC 4 Documentary about Italy and Italian ploitics.)

Speaking of people who trolled the United States, is Fidel Castro still alive? The last pictures I saw of him showed him to be in a very frail state.
Yes just not in power he handed to his younger brother. Cuba can be thought of as like a middle age Kingdom (N. Korea too for that matter) sooner or later the member of the family who gets the job will be incompetent and overthrown.

Um Chavez - careful what you wish for the replacement may be even worse.

I would argue that Mitt Romney paying 13% or so of taxes is still more than a majority of the population at 20-30%.
*LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL*

EDIT: Wait, bogus claims about taxation and redistribution, coupled with outright wrong statements about military spending and "the far left" - I GOT IT! You are trolling us/playing an elaborate hoax! Well played!

Last edited:
Any ideas who the Republicans will think of as their next candidate?

Will She be from a Spanish Speaking family?

Last edited:
I like Jeb Bush, I thought he did a good job running Florida but that family never needs to run again.

Is there some sense in the TSA? Maybe.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/travel/tsa-carry-on-hawley/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
Former TSA chief backs 'knife' decision; suggests axes and machetes, too

Washington (CNN) -- The former head of transportation security said Wednesday he supports a new policy allowing small knives on planes, but said it does not go far enough, and should include instruments such as "battle axes (and) machetes."

Sharp objects can no longer bring down aircraft, former Transportation Security Administration chief Kip Hawley told CNN, and the search for knives interferes with the search for objects that can harm aircraft.

"In retrospect, I should have done the same thing," Hawley said of the rule, which allows passengers to board aircraft with certain small knives, as well as sports equipment such as ice hockey and lacrosse sticks.

"They ought to let everything on that is sharp and pointy. Battle axes, machetes ... bring anything you want that is pointy and sharp because while you may be able to commit an act of violence, you will not be able to take over the plane. It is as simple as that," he said.

"So my position would be, bravo on the 2.6 inch knife. But why not take it all the way and then really clean up the checkpoint where officers are focusing on bombs and toxins, which are things that can destroy an airplane. And it would smooth the process, cost less money, and be better security."

Asked if he was using hyperbole in suggesting that battle axes be allowed on planes, Hawley said he was not.

"I really believe it. What are you going to do when you get on board with a battle ax? And you pull out your battle ax and say I'm taking over the airplane. You may be able to cut one or two people, but pretty soon you would be down in the aisle and the battle ax would be used on you."

And, he pointed out, "You can commit acts of violence on an aircraft with what is allowed now. With a Coke can, a key, a ruler, and some duct tape, you can make a 12-inch razor-sharp sword. And every eighth-grader would be able to do that."

[Continued at link]

Somebody is seeing the light. Unfortunately it is after leaving the job.

We don't have enough NYC members to make it its own thread I don't think.

NY State judge halted NYC's large soda ban.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there some sense in the TSA? Maybe.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/travel/tsa-carry-on-hawley/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Somebody is seeing the light. Unfortunately it is after leaving the job.

I been flying with this since 9/11 and never stopped, it shows up as a key on x-ray.
utlil-key-open.jpg

So they can't even really screen for knives very well :p

I supported the ban initially, but once I heard how it affected small business, I began to waiver slightly. I still think some sort of regulation on large drinks should be in place, but written in such a way that it only affects large fast food corporations. Another way the existing law was supposed to expand, includes regulating flavoured coffee drinks (mochas, lattes, etc). As someone who worked as a barista previously, it is a difficult enough job pleasing people, that type of regulation only makes the job more difficult.

I supported the ban initially, but once I heard how it affected small business, I began to waiver slightly. I still think some sort of regulation on large drinks should be in place, but written in such a way that it only affects large fast food corporations. Another way the existing law was supposed to expand, includes regulating flavoured coffee drinks (mochas, lattes, etc). As someone who worked as a barista previously, it is a difficult enough job pleasing people, that type of regulation only makes the job more difficult.
Why should be there be any type of regulation on food/drink outside of making sure it's fit for human consumption? You might make a case for better (read: healthier) ingredients in food (like they already do here with transfats) but I'll be damned if someone regulates how much soda I can drink in one sitting.

I'll give you a simple example, my wife drinks her coffee all day long, as in she buys one cup and drinks it all day, obviously she needs a relatively large cup. By the same token I was thirsty the other day from moving furniture and got me a nice 31oz iced tea from SBUX, it had a ton of ice in it and I was done with the whole thing in about 10 minutes, should I have bought two smaller ones (and spent more money in the process)?

This is nanny state bullshit that should never be permitted.

I completely disagree with the idea of regulating sodas and other beverages for health reasons. Consumers have the right to make the own decisions regarding their diet and the government has no right to tell people what they should and shouldn't eat. This type of regulation only hurts small businesses.