Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

Somewhat ironic that you post a link from the Huffington Post. I get what their saying, they like bias only if it comes from one political direction. That's fine, whatever. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Does anyone trust anything as liberal as the Huffington Post? They're nearly as bad as MSNBC.

So what facts in that article would you two like to debate? That the Koch brothers want to buy media outlets? Or that many people furiously dislike the Koch brothers?

Somewhat ironic that you post a link from the Huffington Post. I get what their saying, they like bias only if it comes from one political direction. That's fine, whatever. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Does anyone trust anything as liberal as the Huffington Post? They're nearly as bad as MSNBC.
Here we see the difference between jetsetter and Wizeguy: jetsetter actually has a point, even if he (deliberately?) muddles up the lines between "editorial policy" and "owners meddling in editorial affairs". Wizeguy, on the other hand, has no point at all except that the evil liberals want to take daddy's money.

Here we see the difference between jetsetter and Wizeguy: jetsetter actually has a point, even if he (deliberately?) muddles up the lines between "editorial policy" and "owners meddling in editorial affairs". Wizeguy, on the other hand, has no point at all except that the evil liberals want to take daddy's money.

I could have said that in much less words but it most certainly would have gotten me neg-repped :p

As long as there will remain papers of the other view to counter them I would be alright with it. The problems come when only a couple institutions own all the media.
I have no idea how the situation is in L.A. and the other areas affected by the Koch Brothers' takeover. But over here, there is only one paper in most cities, even the bigger ones. I think Berlin, Munich and Hamburg are the only three cities with more than one paper.

Well Ukania has no Liberal papers other than the Guardian, so no Liberal 'conspiracy' here - it's a 'Murdoch - BSkyB' conspiracy here, which unusually they f*****d up big stylie.

Well done Ukip btw I only agree with two of their policies - out of the EU (When is Europe going to understand us - never, you would think that they'd been keen to keep one of the main funding aka Paying in countries now would you not?) and building new Grammar schools.

Almost every other policy I have heard of makes me shudder a bit - immigration and Nuclear Power for instance (They are mad for it - weird). Still they are not any of the other (NB all three of them) elite run political parties stuffed full of Public school boys and Oxbridge Grads who have never done a 'proper job' in their lives.

Last edited:
When is Europe going to understand us - never, you would think that they'd been keen to keep one of the main funding aka Paying in countries now would you not?

You're paying under 90? per head and year. Less than Denmark, Luxembourg, Sweden, The Netherlands, Belgium, Finland, Germany, France, Italy, and Austria. Less than every other net paying country. (2011 data)

You're paying under 90? per head and year. Less than Denmark, Luxembourg, Sweden, The Netherlands, Belgium, Finland, Germany, France, Italy, and Austria. Less than every other net paying country. (2011 data)
We will be no loss then, we'll remember that when the referendum comes, and it will..

My information is different anyway -- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8036097.stm#start

Germany first and they use their clout too, next Us, followed by the Netherlands, France,Italy, Sweden, Belgium, Denmark and finally Austria. A group of countries roughly in balance and the the main 'takers' Greece, Poland, Spain and Portugal and Hungary.

Last edited:
We will be no loss then, we'll remember that when the referendum comes, and it will..

My information is different anyway -- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8036097.stm#start

Germany first and they use their clout too, next Us, followed by the Netherlands, France,Italy, Sweden, Belgium, Denmark and finally Austria. A group of countries roughly in balance and the the main 'takers' Greece, Poland, Spain and Portugal and Hungary.

You're second on absolute net payments, I quoted per head which is much more meaningful. Your data is also from 2007, which may lead to minor differences.

Here's my data: http://www.bpb.de/system/files/dokument_pdf/13 Nettozahler und Nettoempfaenger_0.pdf
See the table on page four, of the net paying countries you're the least paying per head.

Well, it looks like the trans-Atlantic free trade zone between the USA and the EU will come (both sides declared explicitely they want it) and don't you think it wouldn't be very clever to leave the EU right before that?

Yes why ever not - you guys, when push comes to shove nearly all English speaking countries 'hang out' together, just like Francophone countries do. I am certain that we would get the same or better deal than the EU can get from the North Americans, and they (North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) countries) do not want to make our laws for us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Free_Trade_Agreement

One other small point is the attitude of the Yupies, they should say things like 'well it's your decision, what ever you decide 'good luck', or ask what causes you issues let us see if we can fix it?

Or 'Just think you have had the following benefits and in the future these other benefits will accrue'.

They should even say things like there is going to be a major anti corruption push (as opposed to last time when it was all swept under the carpet) and efficiency drive, we will shut either Brussels or Strasbourg to cut carbon emissions from all that travelling and save the costs, get rid of the privileges that an EU civil servant has in their contract of employment, standardise upon one language and produce a set of audited accounts, yada, yada. Then you at least may persuade some Ukanians that the whole thing is worth the candle.

Last edited:
Yes why ever not - you guys, when push comes to shove nearly all English speaking countries 'hang out' together, just like Francophone countries do. I am certain that we would get the same or better deal than the EU can get from the North Americans, and they (North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) countries) do not want to make our laws for us.

Maybe...

but how many exports and imports do you have with the USA and how many with countries of the EU, hm? You might not be aware, that the majority of your trade is done with Europe and not America...

I'm skeptical of a US-EU Free Trade Agreement coming anytime soon. Even if Obama is stating it as a goal, I think the Republicans would have something to say about it. I'm sure they'd love to accuse Obama of trying to ship jobs to Eastern Europe.

The US jobs have already been shipped to Asia, though...

The US jobs have already been shipped to Asia, though...
That's one thing I've never understood. Everyone, businesspeople and politicians alike, complains about the rise of China.

Why is China on the rise? Because of North American and Central European jobs being outsourced there. A serious legislative effort could stop the rise of China in a heartbeat. But making a profit from cheap Asian labour and banging the rhetorics drum seems to be the better choice.