Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

interesting study.

http://www.cjr.org/analysis/breitbart-media-trump-harvard-study.php

[...]While concerns about political and media polarization online are longstanding, our study suggests that polarization was asymmetric. Pro-Clinton audiences were highly attentive to traditional media outlets, which continued to be the most prominent outlets across the public sphere, alongside more left-oriented online sites. But pro-Trump audiences paid the majority of their attention to polarized outlets that have developed recently, many of them only since the 2008 election season. Attacks on the integrity and professionalism of opposing media were also a central theme of right-wing media. Rather than ?fake news? in the sense of wholly fabricated falsities, many of the most-shared stories can more accurately be understood as disinformation: the purposeful construction of true or partly true bits of information into a message that is, at its core, misleading. Over the course of the election, this turned the right-wing media system into an internally coherent, relatively insulated knowledge community, reinforcing the shared worldview of readers and shielding them from journalism that challenged it. The prevalence of such material has created an environment in which the President can tell supporters about events in Sweden that never happened, or a presidential advisor can reference a non-existent ?Bowling Green massacre.?[...]

Last edited:
So, about that whole "solar power is completely harmless to the environment" thing... apparently solar thermal plants (as was expected by people who actually read the spec sheet and vehemently denied by 'clean power' advocates) are burning birds out of the sky.

Edit: Also, note the figures given for how many are killed by wind farms annually.

Last edited:
Voter fraud

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39355015?SThisFB

The former Colorado Republican party chairman, who once said only Democrats commit voter fraud, has appeared in court accused of the same offence.

Steven Curtis, 57, allegedly posted his ex-wife's absentee ballot for last year's presidential election after it had been sent to his house.

Mr Curtis, who served as party chairman from 1997-99, faces up to three years in jail if convicted.

His ex-wife, who left him after nine months, said she is furious.

The accused, a radio host, has railed against alleged voter fraud on his show, Wake Up With Steve Curtis.

He told listeners about five months ago: "It seems to be, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but virtually every case of voter fraud I can remember in my lifetime was committed by Democrats."

His ex-wife, Kelly Curtis, told KDVR-TV, a Fox affiliate: "I was livid over the whole situation, definitely."

She only discovered her ballot had been used when she called election authorities to inquire about how she can vote, considering that she was registered in Colorado but had just moved to South Carolina.

An election worker told her she had already voted.

"I was just completely stunned," said Mrs Curtis, who now lives in South Carolina.

"I thought there had to be some kind of mistake.

"For somebody that speaks out for the constitution and voters rights and our right as US citizens, it definitely goes against what he talks about on his shows and how he lives his life."

Oops!

so a tool for analyzing reddit got the reddit hug of death...ironic

Alt-right logic (no one here specifically, but on the internet generally):

[in June when Muhammad Ali died] I will never call Cassius Clay by his muslim Name! It does not matter what he chose to believe or wanted to be called, I will call him only by the non-muslim name!

[since yesterday] Don't call the convert Terrorist in London by the name he had at birth - only call him by his muslim name! He chose this, now call him by the name he chose!

No, you guys aren't Islamophobic ... of course not :rolleyes: maybe a bit mentally challenged though :santa:

Not that I agree with what Schumer did, I have still yet to hear a rational argument for Trump from his supporters. Trump is a narcissist and a sociopath, being President of anything is no place for that. I'm disappointed that more people couldn't see through the veil sooner, or in some cases, at all.

I'm sure there's a lot more to the story. I can hardly imagine someone like Schumer (well-established, career politician) would go off like that in public.

I find it interesting that the self-described ant-fascist crowd is made up of people who were against the Iraq War. They apparently are A-Okay with a genocidal, war mongering, self declared fascist like Saddam Hussain ruling over 55 million people, but are hardcore against any fascist.

I find it interesting that the self-described ant-fascist crowd is made up of people who were against the Iraq War. They apparently are A-Okay with a genocidal, war mongering, self declared fascist like Saddam Hussain ruling over 55 million people, but are hardcore against any fascist.
You can be against Saddam Hussain and be against starting a war against him and 55 Million people under false pretenses ... two wrongs don't make a right. People against the second Irak-war were not (necessarily) pro-Hussain. Just because I'm against starting a war with North Korea at this point of time, does not mean I think Kim Jong-un should be in power there ... etc etc etc.

And I find it interesting that you still have to explain something as basic as this because you haven't understood this - or don't want to understand this ...

You can be against Saddam Hussain and be against starting a war against him and 55 Million people under false pretenses ... two wrongs don't make a right. People against the second Irak-war were not (necessarily) pro-Hussain. Just because I'm against starting a war with North Korea at this point of time, does not mean I think Kim Jong-un should be in power there ... etc etc etc.

And I find it interesting that you still have to explain something as basic as this because you haven't understood this - or don't want to understand this ...

I agree that the false pretenses was wrong, however that does not mean the war itself was not beneficial. Are you telling me that if Bush had been honest that you would be for the war?

[...] Are you telling me that if Bush had been honest that you would be for the war?

If Bush had been right then yes. If Irak had WMDs, I would have been for going to war to take him down ...

[...] however that does not mean the war itself was not beneficial.

Destabilizing the Region, the Rise of Isis, hundreds of thousands of dead civilians and many dead soldiers on all sides, trust being lost concerning how honest the Us is and not to mention the Trillion Dollars that this has cost the Us-tax payer alone - and you weigh that against getting rid of one single dictator and come to the conclusion that this was "beneficial" to some degree?

well ...
1433837383949431621.jpg

*SarcasticClapping*

I agree that the false pretenses was wrong, however that does not mean the war itself was not beneficial.

In what ways? What are the pros and cons of that dishonourable mess that was the start of the 2003 Iraqi war?

I am still open to new elements, but it seems to have brought more problems than solutions to the world, and to the US.