Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

Come on... They went into the US, they worked hard, they built a business, a family, everything, for 30 years. And now they are thrown out for... having fulfilled the promises of America?

So it is true that "anyone can succeed, as long as I like them".

Life is deeply ironic: those two illegal immigrants showed that the promise of a better world might indeed be for everyone, but some people would rather it wasn't so, showing what a joke xenophobes are by confusing "illegal immigrant" and "criminal", and how deeply false they are when they speak of opportunities for everyone, while in reality to get the real opportunities you still have to be part of a specific social group.

LeVeL;n3541861 said:
It has nothing to do with xenophobia and everything to do with the law.

Then the law is stupid and has to be corrected.

SirEdward;n3541866 said:
Then the law is stupid and has to be corrected.
The desire to screen people before allowing them into your country is "stupid"? Oh, right - I forgot that that's what Europeans don't believe in, which is why a synagogue was just firebombed by a large crowd in Sweden.

Look, I have a heart - it genuinely is disheartening what happened to this family and I've long maintained that the illegals that have no criminal records should be offered a path to citizenship (and backpay their taxes), as well as having the border secured so no one else can get in undetected, but at the same time we do have laws in this country and when you don't follow them, well, you know what happens.

LeVeL;n3541867 said:
The desire to screen people before allowing them into your country is "stupid"? Oh, right - I forgot that that's what Europeans don't believe in, which is why a synagogue was just firebombed by a large crowd in Sweden.

This is another topic from what I have talked about.

Look, I have a heart - it genuinely is disheartening what happened to this family and I've long maintained that the illegals that have no criminal records should be offered a path to citizenship (and backpay their taxes)

Yet they aren't, and things like this might happen; the law here is being stupid, and has to be changed.

but at the same time we do have laws in this country and when you don't follow them, well, you know what happens.

This law has shown to be incomplete, or to betray its own spirit, or to be inefficient; it has generated bad outcomes and it must be changed, otherwise, it might well become a bad law.

Law is not sacred, it has been written by humans; if you need the law to be somehow divinely right in order to respect or have it being respected, you have many more problems at hand than you can even imagine.

Are you afraid of breaking a bad law? You have problems
Are you breaking all laws regardless of whether they are good or bad, You have different problems
Are you considering all laws to be good or bad because they just exist? You have even different problems.

A law's a law. If it does wrong, it erodes the fundamental trust that all people should have to be able to respect laws, it erodes the basis of a peaceful society. It NEEDS to be changed as soon as possible.

SirEdward;n3541869 said:
This is another topic from what I have talked about.
No, it isn't. The United States has sovereignty over its territory and it has every moral and legal right to deny entry to whoever it pleases. If you enter the country illegally or you overstay your legal timeframe, you are here against the law and according to the law you must be deported. It would be nice if we could make exceptions in certain case, such as this one, but the fact remains that these individuals knowingly broke the law.

LeVeL;n3541874 said:
No, it isn't. The United States has sovereignty over its territory and it has every moral and legal right to deny entry to whoever it pleases. If you enter the country illegally or you overstay your legal timeframe, you are here against the law and according to the law you must be deported. It would be nice if we could make exceptions in certain case, such as this one, but the fact remains that these individuals knowingly broke the law.

It isn't if you want to derail things you don't like out of their tracks.

But it still is.

I am talking about a specific case and saying that the idea of someone getting into the US, working and living honestly for 30 years and then being kicked out is insane, and should be addressed.

I do not want to talk about whether the US has or not sovereignty (that would be silly), I want to talk about why that specific insane thing has happened.

SirEdward;n3541858 said:
Come on... They went into the US, they worked hard, they built a business, a family, everything, for 30 years. And now they are thrown out for... having fulfilled the promises of America?

So it is true that "anyone can succeed, as long as I like them".

Life is deeply ironic: those two illegal immigrants showed that the promise of a better world might indeed be for everyone, but some people would rather it wasn't so, showing what a joke xenophobes are by confusing "illegal immigrant" and "criminal", and how deeply false they are when they speak of opportunities for everyone, while in reality to get the real opportunities you still have to be part of a specific social group.

Like it or not, an illegal alien IS a criminal by the very definition of it.

The kids are Americans and can stay. I doubt that Mexico would ban the teenager from coming in though.

SirEdward;n3541881 said:
I am talking about a specific case and saying that the idea of someone getting into the US, working and living honestly for 30 years and then being kicked out is insane, and should be addressed.
It's not insane. Disheartening, sure, but THEY BROKE THE LAW!!!

The law is broken. How many times does this have to be explained to you?

I never said there should be no legal checks, or that they should be able to stay forever if they are only on a visa. I also never said I had all the answers, just the way the law treats our neighbors is vastly different, and that is the bulk of our problem.

LeVeL;n3541925 said:
She'd have an aneurysm if she asked me this questions. Where did you find that lol

Someone retweeted it, asking if it was an Onion article.

Doug Jones won in Alabama.

Good. Too much baggage and they were all fools to endorse someone with those sorts of allegations hanging over his head. Hopefully they learn something from this, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Plus, now the democrats have to make good on their promises to rid their own party of sexual abusers and other such riffraff.

TC;n3542061 said:
Good. Too much baggage and they were all fools to endorse someone with those sorts of allegations hanging over his head. Hopefully they learn something from this, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Plus, now the democrats have to make good on their promises to rid their own party of sexual abusers and other such riffraff.

They weren't even allegations, he straight up admitted to it, but claimed it was consensual (cuz that makes it slightly better?)