Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

People dying in prison in general doesn't in any way negate the possibility of this being a murder.

Or, what's more likely than a grand conspiracy: A couple of guards taking on extra shifts are lax in their duties, fall asleep and falsify the records so they don't get caught sleeping on the job and collecting that nice payday. They've probably done this before and it was fine, so what could go wrong here? Epstein, facing the end of his lavish lifestyle and knowing what happens to child rapists in prison, sees that no one is checking on him and decides to hang himself.

I've worked in inpatient hospitals with secure units before, this kind of laziness is not uncommon. Even in jails and youth detention, where residents are checked on every 15 minutes (Q15), 30 minutes (Q30), and hour (Q1) depending on their risk, this still happens. As for the video, I've also seen how crappy these systems can be. Most are old, unreliable, and rely on the deterrence of possibly being recorded rather than 100% coverage.

Sure, it's suspicious and needs to be investigated, but there's a much greater chance that this was due to incompetence than it was maliciousness.

I wouldn't say "everyone" there are a lot of memes and such floating around about him being assassinated. Trump also fed into one about the Clintons killing him.

And now it has the gravitas and credibility of the office of the President.

Yes, one conspiracy theory proves another... Clinton really did run a prostitution ring out of a pizza shop then./sarcasm

Ace Watkins, the first Gamer presidential candidate. :mrgreen:

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/30/7555...uch-as-stopping-election-interference-on-hold

As FEC Nears Shutdown, Priorities Such As Stopping Election Interference On Hold

Barring some kind of miraculous last-minute reprieve, Friday will be the last business day that the Federal Election Commission will be able to function for quite a while, leaving the enforcement of federal campaign finance laws unattended ahead of the 2020 election.

The commission's vice chairman, Matthew Petersen, announced his resignation earlier this week, to take effect at the end of the month. With Petersen gone, the FEC will be down to three members and won't have a quorum.

In addition to collecting campaign finance data, the FEC investigates potential campaign finance violations, issues fines and gives guidance to campaigns about following election law — but not without a working quorum of at least four commissioners.

"To not have the FEC able to take action right now is deeply concerning," says Daniel Weiner, a former senior counsel at the FEC, who's now with the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University law school.

In particular, Weiner is concerned about another attempt by Russia or other actors to interfere in the 2020 election.

"After 2016, it's become very clear that it is almost certain that the Russian government and potentially other U.S. rivals will seek to interfere in the U.S. election, including through online propaganda, cybersecurity incursions and other tactics," Weiner told NPR. As the regulator for campaign spending, he describes the FEC as one of the "front-line" agencies combating foreign interference.

It might as well be satire from that source. WND is a fringe right-wing Christian website that is just looking for stuff to be enraged about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WorldNetDaily

Here are some better sources that explain what they hope to accomplish by changing the teaching method, as well as explaining that much of the controversy is not in the material itself, but in how the bidding was done.
https://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Controversial-math-textbooks-adopted-by-Seattle-1303775.php
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...ontroversial-science-curriculum-with-caveats/
https://www.knkx.org/post/controver...districts-science-curriculum-adoption-process

I can see both sides on this one. On the one hand, that bidding overview is kinda weird, and it's nice to get kids to get more interest in math, as the methods to teach it have not been revised and updated for the newer generations that have a calculator in their pocket at all times.

On the other hand, per this framework.

I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem the purview of a math class. It rather seems the purview of tenured college professors with beards who are sure that society would be perfect if it was just them in charge because everyone else has been doing it wrong.

Math should be the one class where this is not touched or considered. Perhaps WND may be alarmist at saying that this will mean kids will be taught that if they feeeeeeeeeel that the answer is right it is; but in a planet where people are looking at boogeymans everywhere and we seriously have to periodically remind people that the earth is not flat and vaccinations keep us from literal mass population extinctions, adding more subjectivity and narratives to courses that don't need it (and will suffer from it as it will vary by teacher) will not be helping matters.

But you did approve NCLB so who the hell knows...

I see it as not just understanding math, but the context of math and how it is used; how does one use the ability to do math (logical thinking) to critically assess information that is presented. This can help get kids who are not interested in STEM fields invested in math, and help those who are very STEM-focused thinking about the implications of their work.

I see it as not just understanding math, but the context of math and how it is used; how does one use the ability to do math (logical thinking) to critically assess information that is presented. This can help get kids who are not interested in STEM fields invested in math, and help those who are very STEM-focused thinking about the implications of their work.
The words “collectivist thinking” scare the ever living shit out of me...

I totally agree with @gaasc this right there is some bullshit, math class teaches you math, all the other crap is purview of ethics and philosophy classes.

Again, commendable goal, just not sure how "Who is doing the oppressing?" and "How can we change mathematics from individualistic to collectivist thinking" get us there.
The only place I can see those going is to a systemic feeling of being oppressed even when you are free, and a fundamental upending of values onto something which is more...I am not sure what because even the word "communist" has lost all meaning in the zeitgeist. In any case, not what you would like to hear on a math class, and certainly not what you want if you wish America to continue on a position of relevance in the upcoming decades.