Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

Fox News Argues Viewers Don't Assume Tucker Carlson Reports Facts

Tucker Carlson doesn't have an obligation to investigate the truth of statements before making them on his show, and his audience doesn't expect him to report facts, a lawyer for Fox News told a New York federal judge on Wednesday.

The network is facing a slander lawsuit from Karen McDougal, a former Playboy model who made headlines over a $150,000 payment she received from the National Enquirer in connection with her alleged affair with Donald Trump.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t...r-carlson-karen-mcdougal-slander-suit-1298999

Facebook just removed Trump ads for displaying a Nazi symbol, citing policy against "organized hate "

Okay, I know it's been controversial to compare Trump to fascists, but his campaign is now running ads with literal Nazi symbols. Not things "reminiscent of" or "similar to" Nazis, no occlusion or dog whistle to the Alt Right/Neo Nazis -- the actual Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V Nazi symbol.

Now is it fair game to make these comparisons?

Australian government targeted by state-based cyber attack

Lets see if the hoax reveal gets as much attention as the hoax itself...
Thread:

EbLXZAyXkAA4cUv

Whether it was there a year ago or not, it's still clearly a noose. Calling it a rope pull down is disingenuous, a noose is designed to slip and tighten, a loop for pulling is supposed to stay open and not close around your hand - this is a noose. The community response of support for a black driver after a perceived hate crime is the story far more than the noose itself.

We also have to consider context. The driver being assigned to a garage where a noose was left (regardless of intent or how long ago) is coming on the heels of NASCAR banning the Confederate Flag, one driver resigning in protest, and a whole lot of angry hillbilly fans. It's also happening at a time of racial tension we haven't seen since the 1960s; even the 1992 LA riots don't compare to what we've seen in the US over recent months.

The fact that a noose could be left on display (regardless of how you try to dress it up) for this long is already a sign of a problem - the current response to it gives me hope.

Well, except for the spin of calling it a hoax. It was a noose. It was found in the garage assigned to the only black NASCAR driver. No one, to my knowledge, has been accused of a crime or misconduct related to these facts. A hoax implies intent to mislead, the only attempt I'm seeing to mislead is trying to deny that the knot in the photo is clearly a noose.

ooooh, very good ad hominem

ooooh, very good ad hominem
If the shoe fits... ;) I just don’t like it when people stay silent on the main issue and then start shouting from the rooftops when one detail or incident turns out not to be a part of that issue.

If he had said something along the lines of “this was judged too quickly”, fine, but he went full Trump again.

Well, you know what they say: no noose is good noose.

Shamelessly stolen from an imgur top comment.

Everything isn't always what certain people "want" them to be...
I don't dispute any of this, if you look at my post I stated that no one was charged with a crime and agreed that the noose was in the garage last year. I never said it was a hate crime, but I applauded those who rallied in support of Wallace when the perception of a hate crime was there given the current context. I believe that I said the support was the story, not the noose.

However, I was not the one who tried to spin this into the noose being a "hand loop". If the facts are that the noose wasn't targeted at Wallace, then let those facts speak for themselves; when someone starts conflating facts with spin, I can't help but question their motives and every point of their argument. You undermine your own credibility when you do this; the same is true for selectively taking pot shots with small points while missing the larger issues of the debate. If someone is unable to participate in the entire conversation, they are welcome to pipe down until they have a cohesive, consistent, and evidence-based contribution. Piping up with "objection" from the peanut gallery is little more than the distraction offered by a misbehaving child.

I don't dispute any of this, if you look at my post I stated that no one was charged with a crime and agreed that the noose was in the garage last year. I never said it was a hate crime, but I applauded those who rallied in support of Wallace when the perception of a hate crime was there given the current context. I believe that I said the support was the story, not the noose.

However, I was not the one who tried to spin this into the noose being a "hand loop". If the facts are that the noose wasn't targeted at Wallace, then let those facts speak for themselves; when someone starts conflating facts with spin, I can't help but question their motives and every point of their argument. You undermine your own credibility when you do this; the same is true for selectively taking pot shots with small points while missing the larger issues of the debate. If someone is unable to participate in the entire conversation, they are welcome to pipe down until they have a cohesive, consistent, and evidence-based contribution. Piping up with "objection" from the peanut gallery is little more than the distraction offered by a misbehaving child.
NASCAR just released a picture of what they found, it looks distinctly like a noose to me.

merlin_173922462_3e9afdbe-b033-4550-9579-e9fff3311b4c-superJumbo.jpg

Best thing is that all of NASCAR supported Bubba, not like NFL etc.... still to many head bangers thought.

The question then becomes, how many must die before those that are profiting are satisfied?

New research explores how conservative media misinformation may have intensified the severity of the pandemic

In recent weeks, three studies have focused on conservative media’s role in fostering confusion about the seriousness of the coronavirus. Taken together, they paint a picture of a media ecosystem that amplifies misinformation, entertains conspiracy theories and discourages audiences from taking concrete steps to protect themselves and others.

The end result, according to one of the studies, is that infection and mortality rates are higher in places where one pundit who initially downplayed the severity of the pandemic — Fox News’ Sean Hannity — reaches the largest audiences.
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation...ave-intensified-the-severity-of-the-pandemic/

https://misinforeview.hks.harvard.e...erstanding-the-role-of-news-and-social-media/