Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

How embarrassing to be pulled over by a Sienna or a Highlander.

Chances of that are slim, there can be only one.

This is Trump's America.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/fe...les-portland-protesters/#.XxD9y_CwH4w.twitter

Federal Law Enforcement Use Unmarked Vehicles To Grab Protesters Off Portland Streets

Federal law enforcement officers have been using unmarked vehicles to drive around downtown Portland and detain protesters since at least July 14. Personal accounts and multiple videos posted online show the officers driving up to people, detaining individuals with no explanation of why they are being arrested, and driving off.

The tactic appears to be another escalation in federal force deployed on Portland city streets, as federal officials and President Donald Trump have said they plan to “quell” nightly protests outside the federal courthouse and Multnomah County Justice Center that have lasted for more than six weeks.

We now have Secret Police arresting political dissidents.

I would love to pull Trump supporters from the last two years, sit them down and go over everything that's happened - including the jobless rate, and the markets. I want to know if we are "great" again.

I would love to pull Trump supporters from the last two years, sit them down and go over everything that's happened - including the jobless rate, and the markets. I want to know if we are "great" again.

To be fair, if you are only using those two measures America was doing pretty great until the pandemic. I recall lots of shitflinging on this very forum about how Trump wasn't responsible for it even halfway through his presidential term. I guess that it became his the second the pandemic dropped in, yes?

Now, if you want to sit them down and show them that an amusing president is perhaps not the best choice in case a situation should as this arise, that is perhaps a better idea.

To be fair, if you are only using those two measures America was doing pretty great until the pandemic.

Yep he did a great job reducing the ability of people to get healthcare and targeted the most vulnerable by going after protections of pre existing conditions.

So much for states rights

States rights? We have a First Amendment right to Free Speech and that includes protesting against the Government and it's actions. I believe it is called redress of grievance.

To be fair, if you are only using those two measures America was doing pretty great until the pandemic. I recall lots of shitflinging on this very forum about how Trump wasn't responsible for it even halfway through his presidential term. I guess that it became his the second the pandemic dropped in, yes?

Now, if you want to sit them down and show them that an amusing president is perhaps not the best choice in case a situation should as this arise, that is perhaps a better idea.
I only included those specifically because they are the two metrics used by his supporters to justify all the other things he's done. Trump himself has tied his legitimacy to the market - but as soon as that stops being useful he stops pushing that narrative.

The economic mini-boom of the early Trump years was never more than a straw fire, financed with borrowed money during a time when the economy was already robust. A sensible President and Congress would have used the opportunity to reduce the debt and/or invest into the nation’s infrastructure.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...r-others-arrested-in-nuclear-plant-bribe-plot

Ohio Lawmaker Arrested in Alleged $61 Million Bribery Scheme

Federal officials said they charged Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder and four political associates in a racketeering conspiracy involving almost $61 million in bribes to secure a $1.5 billion bailout of two nuclear power plants now owned by Energy Harbor Corp.

U.S. Attorney David DeVillers, during a press conference Tuesday in Columbus, called the case “likely the largest bribery, money-laundering scheme ever perpetrated against the people of the state of Ohio,” with the Republican speaker and his associates funneling millions to themselves through a nonprofit entity.

The investigation is related to Ohio’s passage last year of a law that bailed out two nuclear power plants and the defeat of a ballot referendum to overturn the law, DeVillers said. A company that wasn’t identified paid almost $61 million over three years to the non-profit Generation Now to help elect candidates who would support Householder for House speaker, pass the bailout law and stop a proposed ballot initiative to overturn the law, DeVillers said.

“Everyone in this room knows who company A is,” DeVillers said, but the name wasn’t being disclosed because the company and no one from it “has as of yet been charged.”

The bailout benefited the nuclear plant owner, FirstEnergy Solutions, a former FirstEnergy Corp. subsidiary, which changed its name to Energy Harbor when it emerged from Chapter 11 earlier this year.

First Energy shares fell about 17%.

While First Energy no longer owns the nuclear plants in the Ohio case, the probe will likely be a drag on the company’s shares in the near term as the market digests the potential implications, KeyBanc Capital Markets analyst Sophie Karp said in a research note.

FirstEnergy said in a statement Tuesday it had received a subpoena related to investigation of the case and intends to cooperate. Officials at Energy Harbor didn’t immediately respond to emails and phone calls requesting comment.

DeVillers said the investigation continues and “as of this morning, there are a lot of FBI agents knocking on a lot of doors, asking a lot of questions, serving a lot of subpoenas, executing a lot of search warrants.”

The arrests in Ohio come less than a week Exelon Corp.’s Commonwealth Edison unit admitted to bribery in connection to lobbying practices in Illinois.

A complaint unsealed Tuesday said Householder, 61, received millions of dollars from March 2017 to March 2020 as Company A sent money to Generation Now, a social-welfare nonprofit that doesn’t need to disclose its donations. The Ohio law, which Householder championed, was enacted in 2019 and carved out $150 million annually for the Davis-Besse and Perry plants, which the company had said it would close without aid.

Ohio funded the measure by cutting support for wind and solar, which was unprecedented. While New York, New Jersey and Illinois have all subsidized nuclear power as part of their clean-energy strategies, Ohio was the first to do so by directly yanking support from renewable sources of energy.

...Of course it's the GOP.

The Biden campaign should run with this hard in Ohio.

...Of course it's the GOP.

The Biden campaign should run with this hard in Ohio.

Every Democratic candidate should run with this in Ohio. Hell, even the Green Party should run with this.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-u...ntify-viral-umbrella-man-as-white-supremacist

Minneapolis Police Reportedly Identify Viral 'Umbrella Man' As White Supremacist

Police say the masked, umbrella-wielding man who smashed windows at a Minneapolis auto parts store two days after George Floyd's death has ties to a white supremacist group and specifically sought to inflame racial tensions.

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Minneapolis police arson investigator Erika Christensen wrote in a search warrant affidavit filed this week that the man's actions created a hostile atmosphere and sparked a series of events that turned previously peaceful protests chaotic. She said she believed his "sole aim was to incite violence."