Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

I don't want to pollute the Covid thread with this plus it was already mentioned. Louie Gohmert has Covid

Here's a full story

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2...-a-mask-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-386076

Some of you think I'm being too harsh to say anti mask people should be left to die so here are some Louie Gohmert quotes (ones that have tangential relation... He's said worse on race, religion, homosexuality...)

"Benefit your friends; make sure your enemies suffer from being your enemies."

and it goes down from there...

After the Aurora CO Shooting at a Batman Movie

"You know what really gets me, as a Christian, is to see the ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs, and then some senseless crazy act of terror like this takes place. ... We've threatened high school graduation participations, if they use God's name, they're going to be jailed ... I mean that kind of stuff. Where was God? What have we done with God? We don't want him around. I kind of like his protective hand being present."

Maybe it is god trying to get rid of the trash louis GO TOWARDS THE LIGHT

You were wrong Louis

"Whether you're president or speaker, if you're wrong, we need to stand up and point it out. That's what Martin Luther King had talked about: being judged by the content of our character and not the color of our skin."

The consequence is you contributed to more people being infected

"There are consequences if you stand up for what you believe. Heck, you might - you might lose your sponsors if you're a talk show host; or if you're running for office, you know, people not give to you or people might not vote for you."

"There's no statute of limitations on doing what's right."

of the 150k+ dead how many of them listened to you and thought it was a scamdemic and that mask were just for sheep? Guess that statute just was a bit too far away for their life.

We understand your sentiment, but I don't like it now, or even when the right wingers were saying it during the aids epidemic about homosexual men.

I will agree that there is a certain poetic justice to the naysayers getting it.

We understand your sentiment, but I don't like it now, or even when the right wingers were saying it during the aids epidemic about homosexual men.

That was heterosexuals not just Republicans.
Bill Kurtis anchor of CBS mornings at the time made the joke:
“What's the hardest part about having AIDS? Trying to convince your wife that you're Haitian.”
He made that joke to the San Francisco Press Club

What does GAY stand for? Got AIDS yet.
It wasn't political it was heterosexual hate and ignorance. It was completely accepted. It wasn't until their kids started getting it from blood transfusions that heterosexuals took it half serious.

Right now there are people making jokes about wearing mask there will be fewer soon and more people wearing mask. One side said this wasn't a hoax from day one. You can change your politics, leave the Republican party, denounce Trump, wear a mask.

So just to be clear, they are satan until they agree with you politically even if they wear a mask. Got it.

So just to be clear, they are satan until they agree with you politically even if they wear a mask. Got it.

I disagree with plenty of Democrats we are a big tent party. This about Trump and Covid. He called it a hoax, he made fun of reporters wearing masks, he pushed a drug that has no evidence of working, he's given it an ethno-bigoted name... The list goes on and on and that's just this one issue that he has failed my country. It's a clear connection too if you don't like mask you like Trump and vice versa. If they wear a mask they have less risk of me laughing as the wheeze their way to the grave.

If you know my comments, you know how much I dislike Trump.

Many of his supporters are indeed not using their logic, and (for a complex series of reasons) they have a problem aknowledging a part of reality (it's a selective blindness).

In many occasions, the trumpists are part of the group of people not wearing masks. That group is damaging to the USA now, is responsible for a part of the current crisis and for part of the deaths and is affected, on this topic, with ignorance, arrogance and, often, stupidity.

I cannot and will not blame you if you will not feel sadness when one of them gets sick with Covid-19, and I will not blame you if you will not feel compassion towards them (although I think the healthiest response would be to feel it).

It is perfectly reasonable for anyone to be extremely factual and to say that they just got what their stupidity earned them.

Yet they are still human beings; when Johnson (whom I despise) got sick with Covid-19, I said the same thing. When Bolsonaro (who is directly responsible for the death of thousands of people) got Covid-19, I was not happy (though I had to ask myself if I was or not).

It is wrong to wish illness or death upon another human being, particularly if we hate them for having caused the death and suffering of other people. Because what is the real difference between us and them, if we are happy when they suffer and die?

Plus, other deniers will see you, condemn your lack of humanity and stick even stronger to their stupid ideas. Do you find this helpful in any way?

The Covid deniers exists here too. Sometimes, some of them get sick and die. A man got sick, refused to go to the hospital, broke the restraint place upon him by the police and kept on going to meetings and parties, infecting at least 90 people, until they had to force him into the ER because he couldn't breathe anymore. He is now in Intensive Care from July 10. I do wish him recovery, not death or suffering (and I wish he could be ordered to refund the costs and damages he has brought upon everyone else... which is not completely impossible, as causing an epidemic is a felony punishable with up to life imprisonment)

I certainly am not sad, some times I even look at the positive side of getting rid of idiots, but I sure am not happy, nor I wish it upon anyone.

Reactions: lip
Barack Obama delivers Eulogy at John Lewis Funeral

It was all a lie

“The most distinguishing characteristic of the current national Republican Party is cowardice . . . the party demands dishonesty as a trait of membership.”

“If the Republican Party had been in charge in 1776, we’d all still be celebrating the queen’s birthday.”

“One of the hallmarks of the Trump era is the alacrity with which intelligent people embrace stupidity.”

You might imagine these are the words of a partisan Democrat or a political columnist for a large metropolitan daily.

But they come from “It Was All A Lie,” a new book by Stuart Stevens, a political consultant who has spent much of this adult life trying to get Republicans elected to office, including a number of presidential candidates.

Stevens’ book is a blistering attack on the modern Republican Party and its wholesale surrender to Donald Trump.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/01/opinion/it-was-all-lie/?p1=Article_Feed_ContentQuery

I don't want to make this to a politics thread but maybe instead of worrying about what the US situation does mean for our exports, the EU (or select countries like France, the UK and Germany) should finally accept that the American century is coming to an end and the political and ideological leadership of the so-called "first world" is being returned to Europe. We should embrace this opportunity, not fear it.

The population and economy of California although less than half that of Germany makes the US a powerhouse. Though its liberal, the quisling government would take over... oh god I cant believe that I started defending this dumpster fire.

1596459156703.png

I think that is part of the reason that the EU has it's own currency. The EU has felt inadequate since the end of the colonial days. The World Wars have helped that feeling by the continent tearing itself apart twice over, the effects of both wars still reverberate to this very day. But, and this is a very big but, it is not one country, it is many. While they stand fairly united when it comes to most things, there is still a lot of discord in that union.

The EU will get more respect, but it will not have the overwhelming power that the US of A has enjoyed since WW2.

The sad thing is, the US of A has lost so much of that respect it enjoyed over the last 20 years. With that respect goes much of it's influence and power.

opQWg1a.jpg

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/08/ro...ess-roadblocks-so-fewer-people-would-sign-up/

Ron DeSantis admits GOP sabotaged unemployment with ‘pointless roadblocks’ so fewer people would sign up

In an interview with CBS4 Miami’s Jim DeFede, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) admitted that Florida Republicans, led by his predecessor, deliberately crippled the state’s unemployment system so that fewer out-of-work people would apply for benefits.

“Do you believe that the system was in part put together the way it was to discourage people from being able to collect unemployment?” asked DeFede.

“I think that was the animating philosophy,” said DeSantis. “I mean having studied how it was internally constructed, I think the goal was for whoever designed, it was, ‘Let’s put as many kind of pointless roadblocks along the way, so people just say, oh, the hell with it, I’m not going to do that.’ And, you know, for me, let’s decide on what the benefit is and let’s get it out as efficiently as possible. You know, we shouldn’t necessarily do these roadblocks to do it. So we have cleared a lot of those.”

When DeFede pointed out to him the current system was designed by former Gov. Rick Scott, now a senator and ally of DeSantis, he replied, “I’m not sure if it was his, but I think definitely in terms of how it was internally constructed, you know. It was definitely done in a way to lead to the least number of claims being paid out.”

For months, Florida Republicans have faced allegations that the unemployment system was broken by design. It has been a massive obstacle as the coronavirus pandemic has shuttered businesses and left millions out of work and reliant on unemployment insurance.

Today 75 years ago marks the first ever use of a nuclear weapon over Hiroshima. There are still an estimated 13.000 nuclear warheads still in existence, and many of those are way more powerful than the atomic bomb which destroyed Hiroshima.

Let's hope there will never be a conflict where one of those will be used again, because if one of those will be used the others will be used as well which means pretty much total annihilation of the world. :(

Last edited:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-internet-idUSKCN2512WM?taid=5f2b5f75cb760200018d296d

U.S. Justice Department asks court to block California net neutrality law

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department on Wednesday asked a federal judge to block California’s net neutrality law, arguing that federal law preempts the state statute.

In October, a U.S. appeals court largely upheld the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) repeal of landmark U.S. net neutrality rules. In 2018, California agreed not to enforce its own state net neutrality law until a final court decision on the FCC repeal.

The Trump FCC in 2017 voted 3-2 to toss out Obama-era rules prohibiting internet service providers from blocking or throttling traffic, or offering paid fast lanes. The California law would reinstate those prohibitions in the state.

The U.S. government is seeking a preliminary injunction to block California from being able to enforce its law.

The California attorney general’s office said it is reviewing the Justice Department’s filing “and look forward to defending California’s state net neutrality protections.”

The 2017 FCC 3-2 vote was applauded by internet service providers (ISPs), as it gave them sweeping powers to recast how Americans use the internet, as long as they disclose changes. The new rules took effect in June 2018, but service providers have yet to change how users access the internet.

The California law was applauded by large tech companies and consumer groups that had championed the level playing field of net neutrality.

The appeals court, in its October decision, also ruled the FCC had overstepped its legal authority when it expressly declared states cannot pass their own net neutrality laws.

The Justice Department said despite that ruling that it still believes California’s net neutrality law is preempted by federal law. A decision on the Justice Department action is not expected before mid-October, according to a court schedule.

We are seeking to dissolve the NRA for years of self-dealing and illegal conduct that violate New York’s charities laws and undermine its own mission.

Our lawsuit charges the NRA as a whole and four senior leaders, including Wayne LaPierre, with failing to manage the NRA’s funds and failing to follow numerous state and federal laws. These actions contributed to the loss of more than $64 million in just three years for the NRA.

Attorney General James Files Lawsuit to Dissolve NRA
https://ag.ny.gov/press-release/2020/attorney-general-james-files-lawsuit-dissolve-nra

Last edited: