Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

For example, we might be worried by things like this...
(or you may look here for video)

I don't think so. While traditionally CDU/CSU and SPD are the two big parties in Germany and every government since the founding of the country (sounds big, hm? Well, it's been only 72 years :D) has been lead by one or the other, that's changing.

Here is the current result of the "Sunday question" ("who would you vote for if there were elections this week?" ): https://www.infratest-dimap.de/umfragen-analysen/bundesweit/sonntagsfrage/

The SPD is solidly ranked third for quite some time, behind CDU/CSU and the Greens.

Our next government will probably be CDU/CSU and Greens. Not necessarily in that order.

If people really take the abysmal performance of the current government in fighting the pandemic into account, CDU/CSU might lose enough votes to enable a Green-led coalition, either Green/SPD/FDP or Green/SPD/Left (my preference on the latter, but the former is far more likely).

But the SPD overtaking the Greens looks highly unlikely.

CDU/CSU need to lose the government to humble them again. And the country needs a government by someone else for a change. But the SPD is not the one you should look for.

P. S.: I like that German politics are a topic here, even more so that they've been brought up by a foreigner. :)

Which, I'm all for more efficent ways of life and reduction to emissions, what I wouldn't want is what the Greens have been wanting to do for a while, enforce a nationwide speed limit of Autobahns. Hellllllllll no. As the transport minister has said many times when it comes up, that's part of why people travel there. I can't imagine that the small sections that are still unrestricted make up for all that much in terms of pollution. And maybe it's something that really isn't a problem, but something that comes up because it gets The Clicks for news stories.

It's coming up because I want to hear/read about something other than US based news or politics, plus if I do the move, I should know what's going on, even if it's a tiny bit.

Maybe an unpopular opinion here:
1) I don't think a noteworthy number of people come here to drive unreasonably fast on the Autobahn. 2) The number of km that are still "open" and additionally not also limited through traffic alone (which is another issue in itself, see 3) gets smaller and smaller. 3) Plus, this isn't nearly as much about CO2 as it is avoiding accidents and deaths* - especially regarding idiots that explicitly want to drive unreasonable and dare I say idiotically fast without respecting anyone else on the road (i.e. "I came here to to speed, so I deserve to go 250 come what may"), actually endangering people while doing that.

* and don't you dare say this isn't true. The friggin' stretch of A4 I drive every single day (well, not during covid, fair enough) was notorious for having a large scale crash every other month until in 2017 they introduced a speed limit. Basically nothing of note since then.

And maybe it's something that really isn't a problem, but something that comes up because it gets The Clicks for news stories.
This is find very interesting, because that's very much true. It's mostly a non-issue, since nobody actually is all that impacted by it. But oh boy does it stir up the "muh freedom!!!" crowd. What's guns to the Americans is the non-existent speed limit to the Germans - it's utterly insane. It's such a tiny little issue, but it's a case of one single issue turning a bunch of people off voting for a party that otherwise would fit them like a glove... :-?

Maybe an unpopular opinion here:
1) I don't think a noteworthy number of people come here to drive unreasonably fast on the Autobahn. 2) The number of km that are still "open" and additionally not also limited through traffic alone (which is another issue in itself, see 3) gets smaller and smaller. 3) Plus, this isn't nearly as much about CO2 as it is avoiding accidents and deaths* - especially regarding idiots that explicitly want to drive unreasonable and dare I say idiotically fast without respecting anyone else on the road (i.e. "I came here to to speed, so I deserve to go 250 come what may"), actually endangering people while doing that.

* and don't you dare say this isn't true. The friggin' stretch of A4 I drive every single day (well, not during covid, fair enough) was notorious for having a large scale crash every other month until in 2017 they introduced a speed limit. Basically nothing of note since then.

This is find very interesting, because that's very much true. It's mostly a non-issue, since nobody actually is all that impacted by it. But oh boy does it stir up the "muh freedom!!!" crowd. What's guns to the Americans is the non-existent speed limit to the Germans - it's utterly insane. It's such a tiny little issue, but it's a case of one single issue turning a bunch of people off voting for a party that otherwise would fit them like a glove... :-?
I'm not German, but I have driven on unrestricted parts of the Autobahn a couple of times, and I agree with these points. To be honest, more than anything else, I found driving there to be stressful as soon as the novelty of going as fast as you dare wore off. When the speed difference between road users going the same way exceeds 100 km/h I think it starts getting really uncomfortable.

In addition to this you always have to be on the lookout for stau, baustelle, und unnfall. Fortunately not seen any of the latter, but there was plenty of the two former on my last Autobahn trip which was between Stuttgart and München.

Funny thing is: The fact is that traffic density, more speed limits and not forget the advent of the electric cars make going fast in limitless sections less and less likely make a general speed limit less and less necessary.

And I do think that having a fairly important country allowing people going as fast as they want actually makes cars safer - because manufacturers have to factor in people actually going 200+, the cars can handle the top speed their engine empowers them to do. And because of that, they also are much safer at lower speeds.
Same goes for the drivers. When you are trained to drive fast, you are a safer driver also at low speeds. This will be lost gradually when a speed limit is introduced.

The reality is, though, at some point there will be a general speed limit in Germany, too. I just hope it won't be introduced for a long time.

Funny thing is: The fact is that traffic density, more speed limits and not forget the advent of the electric cars make going fast in limitless sections less and less likely make a general speed limit less and less necessary.

And I do think that having a fairly important country allowing people going as fast as they want actually makes cars safer - because manufacturers have to factor in people actually going 200+, the cars can handle the top speed their engine empowers them to do. And because of that, they also are much safer at lower speeds.
Same goes for the drivers. When you are trained to drive fast, you are a safer driver also at low speeds. This will be lost gradually when a speed limit is introduced.

The reality is, though, at some point there will be a general speed limit in Germany, too. I just hope it won't be introduced for a long time.

Yes, my opinion is, if you're used to driving fast and have to maintain a car to manage those speeds, anything less will be a walk in the park, and it's not like you're doing it all the time, fuel costs whether ICE or battery takes its toll. That said, sure, there are anomalies of crashes, but introducing a speed limit doesn't mean car crashes will disappear. The idea that will fix people from being moronic when they drive doesn't make sense to me. We have national speed limits and it doesn't help, people are just bored and get distracted at that point. Regarding the traffic, there's still Sunday mornings. From what I hear, Truck/lorry/semi-truck travel is forbidden on Sunday's?

While it doesn't really tell me much, at least it shows weed sales were good last year in Illinois, whether the tax reneue will amount to anything remains to be seen though. https://www.chicagotribune.com/mari...0201014-kwokxzqecncancf3gryvhzwfve-story.html

1616171569965.png

Interesting to learn the underlying beliefs of sasquatch piloting UFOs to resurrect Ron Popeil... I mean mass arrest of child eating elites let by an undead JFK jr... At least how people are milking it for money

262A1D86-AC06-450D-AFFA-7D968F0C4252.jpeg

?‍♂️:ROFLMAO:

?‍♂️:ROFLMAO:

Sounds about right from the low iq party can't separate jokes from reality.

Sounds about right from the low iq party can't separate jokes from reality.
Or just does a cursory google search for their specific talking point and doesn't even click through to the links. Ten seconds on Duffel Blog should make it clear it's a satire site. Then again they just love eating the onion.

WTF?

Matt Gaetz Is Said to Face Justice Dept. Inquiry Over Sex With an Underage Girl​

An inquiry into the Florida congressman was opened in the final months of the Trump administration, people briefed on it said.

?????

How funny...I just sat down at the computer and read that article. The last article I read before I left this seat was about him considering not even finishing his term, and leaving to go work for Newsmax, anyway.

A couple of shocking scandals at the heart of Australian Government :

MP takes creepy photo and admits it:

Woman makes formal complaint to police about Andrew Laming allegedly taking photo of her bending over​

Attorney-General Christian Porter denies rape allegation:

Julie Bishop surprised neither Scott Morrison nor Christian Porter read anonymous letter detailing historical rape allegation denied by Porter​

The story behind Christian Porter’s accuser​

The Brittany Higgins story: an allegation of sexual assault in Australian politics​

Who saw the photos and videos on the House floor? Illegal photos?

Reports linking Gaetz to the false ID's of the minors, misuse of campaign and Government funds, also various drug abuse allegations.

Gaetz showed nude photos of women he said he'd slept with to lawmakers, sources tell CNN​

Crazy story:

Joel Greenberg: The bizarre story behind how Matt Gaetz’s tax collector friend fits into sex trafficking investigation​

Fox News stopped mentioning him on Wednesday...

Last edited: