Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

So I had this discussion with a friend who... Says he doesn't vote, doesn't believe in political parties... But defends Trump, his supporters, doesn't want to watch Q Into The Storm because he doesn't want to be unfair to them, believes the vaccine is fake but signals the end of the pandemic but we will need vaccines yearly... Look he's a childhood friend
Screenshot_20210412-111417.png

Ignoring the illegal stop his belief is they should have tased him if not shot him.

[Insert "some of you need to be reminded that cops aren't supposed to kill guilty people, either" meme here]

In secret Facebook groups, America's best warriors share racist jabs, lies about 2020, even QAnon theories​

NBC News reviewed posts from four private, secret Facebook groups that describe themselves as solely for current and former special operations forces.

German has shut down similar units:

German commando company is disbanded due to far-right culture​

This article is more than 9 months old
KSK soldiers to lose their jobs or be moved after reports of Hitler salutes and extreme attitudes

The german Green Party has nominated Annalena Baerbock as their candidate for Chancellor in the 2021 German federate election. She is the first candidate of the german Green Party with a serious chance of winning the office. She doesn't have experience in governance, but she is a member of the german Bundestag (parliament). Of course the "established" parties (CDU/CSU, SPD and FDP) are pointing that out, as well as her being a mother of two daughters and if she would be able to handle being Chancellor and mother at the same time.

A couple of thoughts on this:
1) She might not have experience in governance, but Sanna Marin, the Prime Minister of Finland, who is even younger than Baerbock, was "just" Minister of Transport and Communications for half a year before her election, and it seems Finland is doing not that badly under her leadership
2) She might not have experience in governance, but Jacinda Ardern, the Prime Minister of New Zealand, was "just" member of parliament before her election and was even younger when she was elected in 2017, and look at their track record in the global Covid pandemic
3) She might not have experience in governance, but Donald Trump ... err, let's not talk about him, bad example... :ph34r:
4) Seeing how the CDU/CSU candidates were practically mangling each other over who should be their candidate it's refreshing to see the other prospect of the Green Party (Robert Habeck who is co-leader of the Greens with Baerbock) just announcing her candidacy without any fuss
5) Why does no one ask male candidates if they can handle being Chancellor and father at the same time?
6) In this day and age I think a young green female Chancellor as leader of one of the most influental countries on earth (I don't want to say powerful since that might be interpreted in the wrong way) might be good, seeing what we are facing in the world with climate change and so on
7) Her full name is Annalena Charlotte Alma Baerbock so there is a flurry of (ironic) tweets in german twitter about "see, those radical greens have sprayed her initials all over german cities beforehand"... :rofl:

7) Her full name is Annalena Charlotte Alma Baerbock so there is a flurry of (ironic) tweets in german twitter about "see, those radical greens have sprayed her initials all over german cities beforehand"... :rofl:
International phenomenon even, crazy!

stumbled across this, results from today, changes marked are since last week! So yeah, the xdu kerfuffle seems to have been a really great idea! (Yes yes forsa, but let’s have some fun)
1618947096037.png

It is, but not in context of german elections. ;)

stumbled across this, results from today, changes marked are since last week! So yeah, the xdu kerfuffle seems to have been a really great idea! (Yes yes forsa, but let’s have some fun)
That's fishy - FDP 12%? How? :ph34r:

View attachment 3560848

My tiny brain's focus has been "please don't fuck up the unrestricted parts of the autobahn" and "please don't let the AfD win."

argh...

I don't have deep knowledge of the inner working of german politics. How far off are elections? Reading the platform sounds good. Though I'm worried if Trump is reelected needing to claim asylum (no joke we had bags always packed and two strategies to leave the country when he was in office)

The elections will be on September 26th, at least that's the current plan.
With the current state of politics here in Germany I wouldn't recommend moving here though. Germany might still be one of the wealthiest countries in the world and I am truly grateful for that, but the current (mis-)handling the pandemic by the political leaders is really tiring and I don't really see anything getting better any time soon. I think Australia or New Zealand might be a better choice for you since a) there is no language barrier and b) their way better handling of the pandemic.

With the current state of politics here in Germany I wouldn't recommend moving here though. Germany might still be one of the wealthiest countries in the world and I am truly grateful for that, but the current (mis-)handling the pandemic by the political leaders is really tiring and I don't really see anything getting better any time soon. I think Australia or New Zealand might be a better choice for you since a) there is no language barrier and b) their way better handling of the pandemic.

If you think it's any better there, you're delusional. Also, try finding places to live that don't cost an arm and a leg. Ask @loose_unit and @Misrabelle about that. I really don't see the handling to be as bad as you and a few other Germans make it out to be.

That everyone now thinks their country sucks fills me with such peace ?

First how can you have an election with less than a year of campaigns and massive spending?

As to my statement it's what county would grant us asylum if Republicans were to try dissolving lgbt rights. From what I read that's a green party platform.

The United States is the still greatest of all free countries in many ways but it has become clear that we are not immune from electing dangerous men to office who have no qualms of making it less free.

IMG_20210420_144112804.jpg

The german Green Party has nominated Annalena Baerbock as their candidate for Chancellor in the 2021 German federate election.

…and I might be getting an idea of my next election choices. :unsure: Sucks about the possible speed limit, but since there are lots of bendy backroads all over the country, that seems like a price worth paying.

That's fishy - FDP 12%? How? :ninja:

Disgruntled CxU clientele who for some reason believe that the FDP is any better? :dunno:

…and I might be getting an idea of my next election choices. :unsure: Sucks about the possible speed limit, but since there are lots of bendy backroads all over the country, that seems like a price worth paying.

Disgruntled CxU clientele who for some reason believe that the FDP is any better? :dunno:
Disagree, being able to just say “fuck it” and pinning it for a while is nice. You think they’ll just have speed limit signs? Expect more speed cameras too. Speed kills, you know, instead of being distracted.

Nice to see German politics being a topic here.

Actually, let's open up a thread on the upcoming election. There is a lot going on and the random thread doesn't seem suitable.
I might do it tomorrow evening. I'm too tired now... but you're all welcome to beat me to it!

@Momentum57: Regular immigration to Germany and the EU in general is open to US citizens without going the asylum route. And I doubt anyone from the US would be eligible for asylum anyway...

Disagree, being able to just say “fuck it” and pinning it for a while is nice.
I certainly agree that it’s nice, but it isn’t a priority and a general speed limit isn’t a deal breaker. We need to at least start fixing some of the basics before we worry about the extras and the current government parties seem to profit handsomely from the status quo. So it’s time for a shake-up.

I just stumbled upon something that causes me to worry (just a bit anyway):

I don't really know whether to take this being non-news in the more mainstream media (Euronews is a fairly small outlet with a strong pan-European outlook, as the name suggests, and decidedly pro European integration) as just a sign of the world being preoccupied with Covid, Bosnia being ignored, or this initiative being too weak to be taken seriously - or rather, as the second article suggests, the EU attempting to ignore it into dying a quiet death.

Nevertheless, it tells me nothing good about the Slovenian government, particularly its Prime Minister Janša.

Ah finally the full truth is out, even if it was already known...

The con man, was out-conned by FoxCONN...