Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

They aren't that smart, but they aren't that stupid either.

They know war is good for profits.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity."

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity."

Is it not villainous to exploit stupidity?

Hey look the stupid parade is lapping itself.

Oh and did everyone see the courts will not dismiss Dominion billion dollar lawsuits.

So... does anything need to be said about Afghanistan or is everyone just lost for words, same as myself?

How does it surprise anyone that the moment the foreigners go, the Taliban dig out their weapons and take over again? This was bound to happen, because for years the US and their allies made it clear that they will pull out eventually and can't wait to do so. The Taliban just needed to be patient.
This is a strategical disaster 20 years in the making.

I’m not surprised, but the scenes from the country (especially Kabul airport) still make me physically sick.
What actually makes it worse is the utterly disgusting, hypocritical to the max reaction from most of our politicians. They’re very much aware that there’s an election in 6 weeks. I could honestly puke…

I have a belief that the US doesn't start wars to better the world or keep the US safe, but instead to make money for it's controlling oligarchs.

The 20 year war in Afghanistan has cost tens of thousands of lives, US service men, US contractors and local Afghans (to a larger and unequal magnitude). Plus $2 trillion in borrowed money that is expected, with interest, to cost a total of $6.5 trillion by 2050.

I feel sorry for the Afghani people, they have been subjected to another one of the US's pointless wars for two decades. The real tragedy might be the abrupt removal of the troops that were at least keeping the Taliban dormant.

I'm not shocked nor do I care. It's something that I think both Trump and Biden agreed on get out of the Graveyard of Empires. In another year it won't be remembered.

So... does anything need to be said about Afghanistan or is everyone just lost for words, same as myself?
1629131548975.png

Everyone dislikes this.

@CraigB, I fundamentally disagree with your belief, but then again I live in a region which is directly impacted (positively and negatively) by U.S intervention. Your statement about troop removal kinda makes the argument itself. I am of two minds about it. For one, you are absolutely correct that America shouldn't be running around playing world police. On the other, we are literally seeing the effects of what happens when they decide to stop playing world police after a while.

And this is with Biden deciding to move the full removal of troops to a symbolic Sept. 11th date. I expect the result with the original plan of them leaving in may would've been the same, but without money shots and with the people leaving under safer conditions because most of the equipment is already gone by now

This blunder is further exacerbated by statements from the US Administration as delivered in this opinion piece covering a CNN panel show

In an interview on CNN’s State of the Union Sunday, Jake Tapper asked Secretary of State Antony Blinken about President Biden’s answer to a question back in July, when a reporter said “your own intelligence community has assessed the Afghan government will likely collapse” should American forces be withdrawn.

“That is not true,” Biden said. “They did not reach that conclusion.” The President went on to say that “there’s going to be no circumstance where you’re going to see people being lifted off the roof of an embassy.”

*points at image*

It is amazing that a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video can leave you speechless.

@CraigB, I fundamentally disagree with your belief, but then again I live in a region which is directly impacted (positively and negatively) by U.S intervention. Your statement about troop removal kinda makes the argument itself. I am of two minds about it. For one, you are absolutely correct that America shouldn't be running around playing world police. On the other, we are literally seeing the effects of what happens when they decide to stop playing world police after a while.

There was a PBS expose into weapons sales and the US involvement in moving private company's weapons into the hands of other nations. I truly believe the US just exists for war.

I don't see the reason for all the pearl clutching. For what virtue? That the US can occupy any country indefinitely? We trained the Afghan army for 20 years, we supplied their government, and blessed their leaders. Value gained... zero. So this momentary self flagellation amounts to nothing. We should be angry at the Afghans. So you think this is bad? How about sending in 50,000 troops? How many dead do we need to leave for them not go back to Taliban control? How long do we need to spend? I guess longer than 20 so 30 years? Would another decade made a difference? No, it wouldn't. Afghanistan is Afghanistan

Saw another post somewhere (don't remember where) that said, "Maybe if we had spent another 20 years there, they might have held out for two weeks.

Angry at the Afghans? You must be joking.

Their reality is that the best chance to survive is to obey the guy who is pointing a gun at you, both literally and figuratively. It doesn’t really matter what the sign over the entrance to the building where you’re being tortured says.

I am angry at the Afghans. We trained them supplied with guns. They didn't fight the Taliban they joined them.

Gen. Wesley Clark to @AnaCabrera
: Once Pres Trump began peace talks w/o #Afghanistan govt, that was the end. It meant they weren't really our allies. From that moment on, men in the field began to change sides, surrendered quietly—a process well underway before President Biden.

We’re going to take out 7 countries in 5 years

Last edited: