Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

I wonder what his thoughts are on a certain woman who replaced a man in early 1952.
I wouldnt dare ask to hear more of his bonkers ramlings

So if anyone wants to discuss his theory further see you the entertainment forums. The underlying issue wrapped up in is misogynistic insecurity and moral panic is that crime is out of control. Its not as bad as it was in the 90s but PANIC. I just dont see it. Though no matter where you go there is a conservative saying its not safe and blaming some moral panic. Even if crime was really dramatically rising thats whats going to fix this? You recast a couple of movies? I mean that is a terrible analysis and even more bizzaro theory of how to correct criminal behavior.

But ok maybe thats why he won his seat, the first conservative to win since 1919. So is crime out of control in Don Valley... no, no its not.

What I see are normal crime stories being elevated as indicative of how crime has only recently spiked.

“Everywhere, not the least within the cultural sphere, there seems to be a call from a tiny but very vocal minority that every male character or good role model must have a female replacement,” said Tory MP Fletcher in a recent speech. “One only needs to look at the discussion surrounding the next James Bond. And it's not just James Bond. In recent years, we have seen Doctor Who, Ghostbusters, Luke Skywalker, The Equalizer, all replaced by women, and men are left with the Krays and Tommy Shelby. Is there any wonder we are seeing so many young men committing crime?"

Pretty pathetic excuse from the government in charge and straight up loony toons theory.
sorry, I'm losing it at the idea of a female Luke Skywalker, a thing that has not happened and is funny as hell to think about

Some good news for Texas.

Not really! As a Texan, he seemed like a solid broad-appeal candidate who could stand a chance at ousting Abbott so we could get some damn sanity back at the state level. "Anyone frickin' sane" is the low bar to pass here, and like it or not, the star appeal is there.

I really think Beto's gonna flop hard. Too much baggage. The other downside to McConaughey bowing out is that there's one less candidate with a broader appeal to knock Beto out at the primary stage. I'd take either over Abbott (again: low bar), but Beto's far, far, far too easy of a target for the loonies here to stand much of a chance.

You need more than appeal once they get into office.

And in Michigan:

Maybe just vandalism, but a sign of the times.

That's the whole problem, though: They gotta get into office first.

I don't have much faith in McConaughey or Beto to do all that much in office—there's probably going to be the same kind of gridlock that we're seeing at the national level, especially with the gerrymandering that's going on at the moment to try and inflate the number of republican districts. But honestly, my low, low, lowlowlow bar is "undo the worst parts and don't screw things up further," and a sentient ball of yarn might stand a chance at that. Might. Again, there's that gridlock issue.

Eeeeeverybody goes rah-rah blue wave people moving here demographic change this is THE YEAR every single year, and it doesn't happen. The "blue wave" is in cities, concentrated in a bunch of gerrymandered-to-hell districts and a few token blue blobs on the map. They either don't show up, or are shouted over by the lowest common denominator who still thinks "Let's Go Brandon" is clever. The other side thinks we're literally Satan out for their guns 'n' freedumbs and they show up like clockwork at the polls. It'll take decades to overcome that just to steer things back to some semblance of sanity, IMHO.

{ reopens tab of "houses by the Nürburgring" }

Last edited:
That's the whole problem, though: They gotta get into office first.

I don't have much faith in McConaughey or Beto to do all that much in office—there's probably going to be the same kind of gridlock that we're seeing at the national level, especially with the gerrymandering that's going on at the moment to try and inflate the number of republican districts. But honestly, my low, low, lowlowlow bar is "undo the worst parts and don't screw things up further," and a sentient ball of yarn might stand a chance at that. Might. Again, there's that gridlock issue.

Eeeeeverybody goes rah-rah blue wave people moving here demographic change this is THE YEAR every single year, and it doesn't happen. The "blue wave" is in cities, concentrated in a bunch of gerrymandered-to-hell districts and a few token blue blobs on the map. They either don't show up, or are shouted over by the lowest common denominator who still thinks "Let's Go Brandon" is clever. The other side thinks we're literally Satan out for their guns 'n' freedumbs and they show up like clockwork at the polls. It'll take decades to overcome that just to steer things back to some semblance of sanity, IMHO.

{ reopens tab of "houses by the Nürburgring" }
I think McConaughey is putting his chips on running 2026 against Bush. Adler could play spoiler with Abbott being torn apart on the right from Chad Panther and Allen West. I don't think Beto has a shot because of his debate guns comment.
I think it is extremely early to be calling 2022 but in some areas... yeah, I don't see it changing overnight.

However; I do think that there are some bright areas for Democrats. I dont buy that the midterms are done by any stretch of the delusions of Republicans.

I think McConaughey is putting his chips on running 2026 against Bush. Adler could play spoiler with Abbott being torn apart on the right from Chad Panther and Allen West. I don't think Beto has a shot because of his debate guns comment.
I think it is extremely early to be calling 2022 but in some areas... yeah, I don't see it changing overnight.

However; I do think that there are some bright areas for Democrats. I dont buy that the midterms are done by any stretch of the delusions of Republicans.
I haven't heard of Adler...hopefully not Austin's mayor? Mr. "Stay Home, But I'm In Mexico" comes with his own baggage. He's mostly okay as a Largely Inoffensive Mayor-Doofus and thank goodness he frequently calls out Abbott's BS for what it is, but my gosh, does he have his foot in his mouth all the time.

Hopefully there's someone with less baggage who plans to jump in the Texas governor race, maybe, I hope. Ugh. (I'm honestly out of hope for this frickin' hellhole.)

Don't remember if this was mentioned here, but there is a tennis player in China that made an accusation of sexual misconduct and was disappeared for a bit. The World Tennis Association has tried to get answers and has just done this.

I applaud this decision by the WTO, especially after the IOC's Thomas Bach already sided with the Chinese authorities, obviously not wanting to jeopardize the money printing at the winter Olympics.

Biden had a Covid speech but it can't be mentioned in the Covid forum because some people are fragile

Biden's plan to fight the coronavirus this winter is a battle of increments: efforts to get booster shots into the arms of all adults and especially seniors, setting up family vaccine clinics, offering more free and lower-cost at-home testing options, stockpiling antiviral pills and readying strike teams to help states with outbreaks.

We are behind in number of way with no digital infrastructure to really track much of anything. I like that the at home kits will be covered that's been 50 bucks a box of two.

Boosters are coming up on those "worried well" those people who got vaccinated without much effort. So were going to see big numbers of people getting boosters now but that will drop off. I don't think the advertising will do much of anything.

The travel restrictions testing requirement seems only half of the issue but again we have no real contact tracing so doing what they can.
The administration also will require that all travelers coming into the United States be tested for the coronavirus a day before departure for their trip using a viral test. This will apply to Americans returning home, whether they're vaccinated or unvaccinated, as well as to foreign travelers.
But there are no new requirements for testing after arrival in the U.S. or for quarantining after returning from a trip.
All this while Republicans threaten to shutdown the government to prevent more people from getting vaccinated. The thing that I think that will really be punishing this winter is the flu.
Stay Healthy, Wear a Mask

Seen before you: a microcosm of the problems with self-moderation and politics ending up where they shouldn't belong :p
A-f‘ing-men!

Just think where we could be if this pandemic hadn’t been politicised… if you want to feel really depressed, that is.
Because we can't admit that politics is a factor in why Covid is the way it is.

Welcome to my ignore list.
because not listening will make you a better person