Spoilers: Random Thoughts (Sports)

WTF??? :blink:

Knicks game delayed when Maccabi coach won?t leave

NEW YORK (AP)?The New York Knicks? 106-91 exhibition victory over Maccabi Tel Aviv was delayed for about 8 minutes in the third quarter Sunday when the visiting coach refused to leave the floor after being ejected.

In a bizarre scene, a rabbi even came onto the court to ask the referees to let Pini Gershon remain. Gershon eventually left after a discussion with the officials, his assistant coaches and NBA security personnel.

Gershon was hit with two quick technical fouls in the third quarter, the second coming on a play that went against the Knicks. New York?s Al Harrington(notes) was called for an offensive foul right in front of the Maccabi bench, and Gershon quickly started screaming at replacement referee Ben Taylor, who ejected him.

When Gershon didn?t seem to be listening to any of the basketball officials, Rabbi Yitchak Dovid Grossman, founder and dean of Migdal Ohr, tried to get involved by talking to the referees. But rules say anyone who is ejected must leave the court, and eventually Gershon did.

Migdal Ohr, the world?s largest orphanage, received the proceeds from the exhibition game between the Knicks and the Euroleague team from Israel.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtPR8XyPsR.o12KvGPI5SJ68vLYF?slug=ap-knicks-ejectiondelay&prov=ap&type=lgns

The guy is well known in European basketball for his behaviour, but I didn't expect him to show his typical antics in a friendly game against an NBA team.

Stupidest idea ever.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?page=09marathon

ESPN's second annual College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon -- featuring 12 consecutive live college basketball games in 24 hours Tuesday, Nov. 17, on ESPN -- will include extensive coverage across the ESPN platforms to celebrate the beginning of the 2009-10 season. ESPN games will tip off every two hours, beginning at midnight ET with Cal State Fullerton at UCLA.

RFU match between Scotland and Australia has just kicked off.

Seems to be quite a few Aussies in the crowd, who gave a good account of ?Advance Australia fair?.

The Scots crowd did a nice rendition of ?Flower of Scotland? or the Braveheart Song, as I call it.

I expect the Wallabies will be too much for the Scots today, but the weather is very pro-Scottish with rain, wind, floods and intermittent porridge.
(Not BBQ weather at all.:lol:)

Come on the Jocks! :)

RFU = Rugby Union

EDIT: Holy cr*p, the Jocks won 9-8!
The Aussies had 59 turnovers to 9 for the Scots in the 22 meter area but failed to score
(22 m line is a bit like the NFL Red Zone.).
The TV pundits were calling it a ?great defensive victory?. This is the first time in 27 YEARS that Scotland has beaten the Aussies.

Last edited:
Ireland won the RFU today, but the Aussies look too much for the Welsh, who've already lost their main man Shane Williams. The guys who have grown Moustaches for charity look awesome though. Should be made a rule.

I'm guessing the character in that trailer is supposed to represent a native of the PNW - but he looks much more like an Eskimo than any of the PNW tribes I've ever seen. Was a fun commercial though!

Fuck. Ireland is being pummelled by France in the rugby :(

I find it funny that the chairman of a club (Augusta National) says that he is disappointed in Tiger Woods, when Augusta National still doesn't allow women members and didn't allow African Americans until the mid 1990's amid media pressure...:rolleyes:

Jujistu yellow belt test in 30 minutes...

I really want to get rid of my n00b belt before Summer... I hope I don't fail :|

Mahut and Isner up to 44 games all in the deciding set at Wimbledon. Crazy. They are in the equivalent of the 12th set and have been playing the last set for over 5 hours.

59 all, delayed till tomorrow. Holy sh*t. 10 hours total match time, delayed on two evenings.

I am totally and utterly lost for words on this one. 10 full hours of Grand Slam tennis, 7 hours straight today, the fifts set alone closing in on 6 hours.....how these guys are even standing up, let alone swinging a racquet is beyond anything I could ever comprehend. Isner was ready to be carried out on a stretcher and he was the one who wanted to keep going !! Mahut on the other hand looked like he had been on the court for no more than 3 sets and he was the one who started complaining about the light, or lackthereof. I mean the statistics alone are mindboggling....95 aces against 98, the duration, total games played....simply amazing.

Bit of an anti-climax, because the victory won't feel the same tomorrow...unless of course they go on for another 4 hours...But I am really nitpicking here, I mean 10 hours, 7 of which have been played today....7 hours of *anything* is damn grueling, but tennis....that's just unbelievable.

Such a shame there has to be a loser in a match like this. And John McEnroe made a very good point and sent his best to the French national soccer team:

"Take a look at Mahut and think about what you have done for your country over the last 5 days"

Epic is such an overused word. But this was truly and utterly, in every definition of the word, epic.

Last edited:
And now unusually, we have some ?Stick-Ball? News.
England has been playing a Cricket match against Pakistan in London over the last few days.

Before the game started, a British Sunday newspaper gave some middleman ?fixer? ?150,000 for the Pakistan team bowlers to bowl three No-Balls* at specific times during the match.
BBC News Story

These No-Balls then subsequently DID happen as scheduled.

Apparently, in the Indian sub-content and the Far East, people bet on all aspects of the games in an unregulated environment.

Major police investigation and governing body enquiry are underway, plus much broo-ha-ha in the cricketing establishment.

This is not the first time that betting and other scandals have been alleged on the Pakistan team. (Their Head Coach died in mysterious circumstances during the last World Cup.)
:unsure:

*Baseball No-Ball is not dissimilar to the Cricket rules of the same name, bowler controlled and judged by umpire.

Rain delay in the middle of the US Open final. What does Flushing Meadows think it is, Wimbledon?

The 2010 Commonwealth Games look to be increasing in doubt.

Senior officials in Delhi have insisted that the Indian capital will be ready to host the Commonwealth Games.
The comments come after the athletes' accommodation was criticised and branded as unfit for human habitation. International delegates have said the facilities are filthy and unhygienic, just days before athletes arrive. A senior official said Westerners had "different standards" of hygiene, but that the site was being thoroughly cleaned before the opening. Delegates who visited the tower blocks where athletes will live during the games had described them as filthy, with rubble lying in doorways, dogs inside the buildings, toilets not working and excrement "in places it shouldn't be". Speaking at a news conference in Delhi, Lalit Bhanot, secretary general of the Delhi organising committee, said the authorities understood the concerns shown by some member countries and the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF). But he suggested that the complaints could be due to "cultural differences. Everyone has different standards about cleanliness. The Westerners have different standards, we have different standards," he said. Mr Bhanot said the situation was "under control" and that he was "sure and confident" that cleaning in the residential areas would be complete by the time teams start arriving on 23 September. He said he had visited many athletes' villages over the years and had never known one of such high quality. "This is a world-class village, probably one of the best ever," he said.
'Shocked'
Mr Bhanot's strong defence comes after Commonwealth Games Federation President Michael Fennell said he had written to India's cabinet secretary urging immediate action over the conditions in the village. Mr Fennell said officials of teams set to take part in the games had been impressed with the international zone and main dining area, but "shocked" by the state of the accommodation itself. "The village is the cornerstone of any Games and the athletes deserve the best possible environment to prepare for their competition," he said. There were also reports in the Indian media that only 18 of 34 residential towers at the village have been completed. Chris Jenkins, chef de mission for the Welsh Commonwealth team, told the BBC there had been "major snagging issues" in the facilities. "There was water leaking in many of the bathrooms. They hadn't been cleaned, it was filthy. There were dogs in the towers. It was terrible." He said some of the ground floor rooms had been "effectively flooded" during heavy rain and were covered in mud. New Zealand chef de mission Dave Currie has suggested the Games might even have to be cancelled. He told New Zealand commercial radio on Tuesday: "If the village is not ready and athletes can't come, obviously the implications of that are that it's not going to happen. "It's pretty grim really and certainly disappointing when you consider the amount of time they had to prepare." New Zealand, Scotland, Canada and Northern Ireland have demanded their teams be put up in hotels if their accommodation is not ready. Commonwealth Games England has called for "urgent" work on the facilities, raising concerns about "plumbing, electrical and other operational details".
Security fear
To add to the concerns, an elevated walkway at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium collapsed on Tuesday, injuring 23 construction workers, five seriously.
It is not clear what caused the collapse of the walkway, which was being built to link a car park to the arena, where the Games opening ceremony is to take place. Mr Bhanot said the collapse was unfortunate, but would not affect the Games. Security concerns surrounding the Games were heightened on the weekend, when gunmen shot and wounded two tourists near Delhi's Jama Masjid, one of India's biggest mosques. It prompted Australia's world discus champion Dani Samuel to pull out of the Games, with her management saying she was "extremely stressed" by the incident. "The situation in Delhi has been bothering her for some time... But the events over the weekend made it real," her manager Hayden Knowles told the Australian Associated Press. The BBC's Mark Dummett in Delhi says the Indian government had hoped that hosting the Commonwealth Games would highlight the country's strengths. But many Indians now worry that the opposite has happened, says our correspondent, and that the country's weaknesses have been very publicly exposed by the many problems, delays and allegations of mismanagement in the build up to the Games.
news article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11385214

English athletes Phillips Idowu, Christine Ohuruogu and Lisa Dobriskey have all pulled out of next month's Commonwealth Games.
It is understood world triple jump champion Idowu has concerns over Games preparations, whereas Ohuruogu and Dobriskey both have injury worries. All three were due to defend their Commonwealth titles in Delhi. The withdrawals came as doubts emerged on Tuesday about the quality of the athletes' village. Idowu, 31, has not pulled out because of any injury problem, the BBC understands. Fellow Londoner Ohuruogu, the Olympic 400m champion, said she did not want to risk aggravating a muscle problem after suffering cramp during training. Dobriskey, who hails from Kent, won the 1500m at the Melbourne Games in 2006, but has been troubled by a leg injury.
In a statement on her official website, Ohuruogu said: "I am disappointed... but the last thing an athlete wants is to re-risk injury to the same muscle." The 26-year-old missed the second part of the 2010 track and field season because of an injury to her left quadriceps. She said: "It was very important for me to be cautious in dealing with my previous injury. Although training was progressing well, intense competition over three days may prove to be more harmful than good and may compromise the long-term functioning of the muscle. With three rounds in the 400m in Delhi, I would need to be close to my best to win the gold. I had already picked up my team kit and was getting ready to go the preparation camp in Doha. Instead I will have a short break now and resume training in October to get ready for the 2011 season. I would like to wish my fellow athletes all the best for Delhi and I hope they bring home a lot of medals."
Dobriskey, 26, a silver medallist at last year's World Championships, has been told to rest by doctors. She had injury problems earlier this season, but worked hard to get herself fit for the European Championships in Barcelona, where she finished fourth. She said: "I was really looking forward to competing and I'd worked so hard to get back into shape. I'm really disappointed, but I just ran out of time. I want to wish all the best to the athletes out in Delhi."
Earlier on Tuesday, team bosses said they were "optimistic" England would compete but that urgent work was needed before the Games begin on 3 October. Scottish officials found their original accommodation to be "unsafe and unfit for human habitation". But organising committee secretary-general Lalit Bhanot insisted: "The situation is under control."
news article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/commonwealth_games/delhi_2010/9021161.stm