Spoilers: Random Thoughts (Sports)

Does Schleck now get the title? Or does Contador keep it? Not a good image for Cycling :(.

Does Schleck now get the title? Or does Contador keep it? Not a good image for Cycling :(.

Contador will most likely lose it.

It is funny that a chinese cyclist that got caught for using clenbuterol (same substance as Contador) got two year-ban (as any athlete who gets caught of doping), but Contador gets suspended for only one year. From a racing point of view it is a good thing, because without Conta Tour will be on hell of a boring race.

So congratulations Andy for winning Tour 2010 and 2011.

They should just admit that they've lost the battle and let them take what they want. If they do a Tom Simpson then that is their own stupid fault.

Holy motherf....

ESPN said:
Stefaan Engels sets marathon record

Associated Press

BARCELONA, Spain -- Belgian runner Stefaan Engels set a Guinness World Record after crossing the finish line of his 365th consecutive marathon on Saturday.

Engels, dubbed the "Marathon Man," began the extreme physical challenge a year ago in Barcelona. He competed a race a day in seven countries: Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Canada, Mexico, the U.K. and the U.S.

Engels told The Associated Press that he did it as a personal challenge and to be an example for others.

"After running 20 triathlons in one year, I was not ready to go back to normal life," he said. "I also wanted to inspire people by showing that if I could run a marathon a day for an entire year, that anyone could run or bike a little each day or do something about their weight problem."

The 49-year-old Engels ran a total of 9,569 miles. He said the key was a slow pace over the 26.2-miles.

"I recover quickly. I don't run fast and my heartbeat is slow, below 100 if I run 10 kilometers, but it is more a mental story," he said. "The problem was thinking about running a marathon every day. I just told myself to run that day and did not think about the next day or next week."

Engels averaged around four hours to complete a marathon. He said his best time was 2 hours, 56 minutes.

"He ran every race, he never walked. He ran at a rate of 10 kilometers per hour," said Angels Garriga, the spokeswoman of Engels' sponsor, the diet-control company Pronokal.

Engels had asthma as a youngster and doctors told him he should not participate in sports. But he decided to overcome his ailment and ran his first marathon at 25. He said his latest feat is the result of 35 years of exercise.

"There were a lot of moments when I thought, 'Today, I won't finish,'" he said. "One of the hardest moments was in Mexico City after a long flight, the altitude and I had gotten sick from eating something, and I thought, 'What am I doing here?'"

This was Engels' second attempt at the feat. He injured his leg 18 days into the first try about a year ago and had to wait until he recovered to start over.

The previous record was held by Japanese runner Akinori Kusuda, who ran 52 consecutive marathons at age 65 in 2009.

Engels adds another entry into the Guinness Book of World Records. His 20 Iron Man triathlons in a single year earned the record in 2008.

As for what is next, Engels said he will focus on writing a book, coaching and giving lectures.

"It is time for other things," he said. "It is time to give my body a rest."

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfield/news/story?id=6092994

Last edited:
Thought you guys might like this...free month of ESPN insider thanks to ESPN's facebook page. clicky

^
Point!
I thought with the Stick-Ball World Cup being on at the moment and the number of Aussies on FG, one of them would have started a thread for it.
:dunno:

Most abysmal NCAA National Championship Basketball game I can remember. :barf:

^
Point!
I thought with the Stick-Ball World Cup being on at the moment and the number of Aussies on FG, one of them would have started a thread for it.
:dunno:

I was tempted to myself, but I was very new at the time, so ended up just making a few comments about it in a few other threads.

Winning the final with a six = priceless
It was! I managed to see that bit, even if I missed a majority of the World Cup...

It was a good tournament, but I found myself losing interest to be honest. Only because the Cricket season here finished a couple of months ago and the AFL Season just rolled out. Even the night Aus vs India in the elimination match, I found myself watching the footy instead :dunno:

I was also tempted to start a CWC thread, but judging by the FG'ers favourite sports poll, it wouldn't have been very popular. :p

Last edited:
I was also tempted to start a CWC thread, but judging by the FG'ers favourite sports poll, it wouldn't have been very popular. :p

I'm the only one who voted for it. Which was a lie even, my favorite sport is rugby union, but I voted for cricket (which I really do like, it's just not my #1) so it wouldn't have 0 votes.

Easily, and if the Lady Huskies would have won it would be a massive amount of smug emanating from U Conn. I wanted Babyface Stevens to win a Tourney.

100% agree. I really hope Stevens gets another shot. Calhoun is a great coach, but for me he's almost as slimy as Calipari, so I can't root for him.

Ice hockey world champs: lol Germany vs. Russia 2-0

Took a trip down memory lane, and browsed through my old baseball card collection. I've got some great cards (great in terms of memory, but probably not much value). Found a Jamie Moyer rookie from way back when, Roger Clemens, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, Kirby Puckett, Deion Sanders, all rookie cards, Craig Biggio when he was still a catcher. *sigh* that was fun.

Go away Tyler Hamilton you are embarrassing yourself.

The utter fascination with handegg football is annoying. Give me MLS, damnit, not some piece of crap arena football team.