Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Quick question, how different is Office 2010 from Office 2007, specifically Excel and Access? I ask because I can get both Excel and Access 2010 in an academic pack cheap, but I am learning about Excel and Access 2007 (and using them on the uni computers) in my E-business course at uni. Intertubes doesn't tell me much, but I am basically just worried if they are drastically different (especially in relation to things like formulas and such). If they are too different, I will stick with my copy of Excel 2007 and find a way to get Access 2007. If it's only asthetics (sp?) and minor functionality upgrades however I may spruik for the deal (get Professional Academic editions- same as normal Professional as far as I can tell-for $99 AUD as opposed to Professional via retail for $900-ish!!!)

Layout might be different, but they would have a fucking riot on their hands if they changed what the formula names are. I know I use excel a lot between 2003 and 2007 and all my shit works whichever one im using.

The biggest difference lies in the fact that most people really hated the new Ribbon UI on Office 2007 so Microsoft redid it... it still uses Ribbon but they've tweaked the interface a bit. And they also introduced web-based Office apps so I assume Office 2010 also has integration with those web apps.

So basically the only difference is the UI. Personally, Office 2007 came out in my last semester of university and I found it a delight to use, it was so much easier to do references and stuff in 2007 compared to 2003. But many people vehemently disliked 2007's interface so they redid it for 2010. I haven't much use for productivity programs right now but even if I did I'd probably stick with 2007 since the interface suited me just fine. But if you're getting a good deal on Office 2010 or simply like the new interface better there shouldn't be much (or any) worry of incompatibility.

Last edited:
My girlfriend and I share a first-gen Kindle that we pretty much never use. This is absolutely no deterrent to my desperately wanting the new wifi-only version in blackgraphite.

Hmm, I'm getting emails to my gmail account, so I don't know why you wouldn't be. Check your spam folder, and I'll check the server logs.

Seems like an odd mail forwarding error. Usually things that spam in gmail show up in my spam folder in my mail app but this one doesn't for some reason.

My girlfriend and I share a first-gen Kindle that we pretty much never use. This is absolutely no deterrent to my desperately wanting the new wifi-only version in blackgraphite.

It does look really nice. I've been wanting a Kindle for some time, and with the price reduction.. I don't need the 3g feature, so it's perfect really. Just need to find the funds now :D

Monitovangelists (see what i did there?) will say google has too much power, yadda yadda, but who cares, they do search right and for free

Monitovangelists (see what i did there?) will say google has too much power, yadda yadda, but who cares, they do search right and for free

As much as they are practically a monopoly, reality is, if Google went down tomorrow, there are several other competent search engines to choose from.

As much as they are practically a monopoly, reality is, if Google went down tomorrow, there are several other competent search engines to choose from.

Agree, not saying they are the end all, but they're good at what they're do, so why use anything else, i've tried Bing, it fails hard at several things

Just tried FreeArc, I'm impressed. I was backing up a game to DVD, it's 8.04GB, I used WinRAR's max compression setting, it got the folder down to 4.37GB, but it was a few hundred kb too big to be fit onto a single layer DVD, so I was looking for a compression program that's able to squeeze the file just that little bit smaller. FreeArc was able to compress it down to 3.47GB, almost 1GB less than WinRAR was able to do. The only bad thing is I got to burn FreeArc onto the disc too because whoever I lend the disc to probably won't have FreeArc, while everyone has WinRAR.

I find that 7-Zip usually beats RAR on max compression, though I will now give FreeARC a try.

The advantage is that both 7-Zip and WinRAR can extract each other's files.

Agree, not saying they are the end all, but they're good at what they're do, so why use anything else, i've tried Bing, it fails hard at several things

Only thing I've used Bing for is image search, but now (today it seems) Google has integrated the same flowing page technique. I havent Yahooed in years.

FreeArc has one major downside though, it can't do split archive, so using it to send files to people won't work.

I am getting fed up with my slow DSL, even though it's from a friendly local company with excellent support. I'm thinking about going to the dark side and getting Comcast. 15Mbit down/ 3mbit up for $20/m (and then $45/m after the first 6) is pretty tempting, and DOCSIS 3.0 is available in my area, so I can eventually upgrade to much higher speeds. I know the support is pretty non-existent, and the service isn't all that reliable, but when it works, it's fast. What do y'all think?

I am getting fed up with my slow DSL, even though it's from a friendly local company with excellent support. I'm thinking about going to the dark side and getting Comcast. 15Mbit down/ 3mbit up for $20/m (and then $45/m after the first 6) is pretty tempting, and DOCSIS 3.0 is available in my area, so I can eventually upgrade to much higher speeds. I know the support is pretty non-existent, and the service isn't all that reliable, but when it works, it's fast. What do y'all think?
^ I think see if your area has verizon fios, as they give us shit for free all the time. Comcast are massive assholes.

does anyone know anything about downloading from ircs?

^ I think see if your area has verizon fios, as they give us shit for free all the time. Comcast are massive assholes.

does anyone know anything about downloading from ircs?

Unfortunately, Verizon has no plans to bring FIOS to Davis any time soon, so I'm stuck with DSL or cable unless I can manage to get access to my school's wifi a mile away.

IRC downloading, hmm? The last time I did it I was still using dialup, which would make it about a decade ago, but I remember mIRC making it pretty painless. Just accept the DCC transfer when it asks.