Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Also bandwidth. And yes, the Victor, I have a Nexus One that I wub, bought it in April. I still want a Captivate.

I wouldn't do it. Might come out fine but it's really not worth the risk. Maybe try it with a really cheap MP3 player in a plastic bag?

I would think the steam would be worse than regular liquid, and my mom managed to kill her nano with a splash from a half bottle of beer so I wouldn't risk it.

They may make waterproof ones though, I know they have a waterproof shuffle.

I would think the steam would be worse than regular liquid, and my mom managed to kill her nano with a splash from a half bottle of beer so I wouldn't risk it.

They may make waterproof ones though, I know they have a waterproof shuffle.

Yeah I have a Sansa Clip I'm willing to sacrifice for music, but the draw of streaming video was too good to not investigate. Are there waterproof cases out there? I assume not for the new one yet, but I can hope.

You're talking about a dry sauna obviously, right? Still, even that will probably be detrimental unless you make sure nobody pours water onto the element while you're in there.

How long you sit in there anyway? I can manage ten minutes, fifteen if I really push myself. Not really enough time to watch anything... plus I wear glasses which makes the whole idea moot for me.

Would it be ok to take a iPod touch into a sauna? Will the moisture fuck everything up, or trigger the wetness indicator thing that voids warranties?

From Apple's site:

Environmental requirements

* Operating temperature: 32? to 95? F
(0? to 35? C)
* Nonoperating temperature: -4? to 113? F
(-20? to 45? C)
* Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
* Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
(3000 m)

I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited:
You're talking about a dry sauna obviously, right? Still, even that will probably be detrimental unless you make sure nobody pours water onto the element while you're in there.

How long you sit in there anyway? I can manage ten minutes, fifteen if I really push myself. Not really enough time to watch anything... plus I wear glasses which makes the whole idea moot for me.

Wet sauna, but the evidence is provided and I shant be using it. I can normally stay in about 30 min. which would have been enough for an episode of streaming TV.

Wet, as in a steam sauna? :blink:

Then no way, I wouldn't even think about it for a second. Steam might even be worse than water for your device, it will just work its way into every little crevice and opening and turn to water.

Quick question for the photography people.
Whats the relationship between ISO and the Shutter speed?

From what I can understand from articles that I have read is that the ISO is how much sensitive the sensor is to light and shutter speed is how long is the exposure. They say that low ISO is the best for less grainy images and higher ISO is used when the light gets insufficient. I have been reading this article and they say "Higher ISO settings are generally used in darker situations to get faster shutter speeds"
Why do they say that? Why is it that when you increase the ISO the shutter speed also increases?

Quick question for the photography people.
Whats the relationship between ISO and the Shutter speed?

From what I can understand from articles that I have read is that the ISO is how much sensitive the sensor is to light and shutter speed is how long is the exposure. They say that low ISO is the best for less grainy images and higher ISO is used when the light gets insufficient. I have been reading this article and they say "Higher ISO settings are generally used in darker situations to get faster shutter speeds"
Why do they say that? Why is it that when you increase the ISO the shutter speed also increases?

I think its because with higher light sensitivity you can capture a image without exposing the sensor longer, thereby being able to capture moving objects at night.

Because ISO used to be a speed rating for film cameras, so you would set your shutter speed on the camera and then also you had a choice between film of differing ISOs for the type of lighting and subject you were anticipating. Since ISO is a virtual setting on digital cameras there is a confusing relationship between ISO and shutter speed.

But these days ISO still is an important function and you want a camera with good ISO performance (less noise/grain at higher ISOs). Like for instance my fastest lens goes to f/1.8 but even then I sometimes need to go from the default ISO 100 to 200 or 400 to reduce the blur caused by the shaking of your hands. This is less of an issue with lenses/cameras that have VR, but still, you want good ISO performance. I have an entry-level DSLR and anything over ISO 800 is so noisy that it's worthless. Better cameras can achieve much higher than 1600 and don't look as grainy, meaning you can take shots in near pitch black conditions. But you need a really good DSLR.

Take all of that with a huge grain of salt though as I'm a photography noob. There's a Random Thoughts... for photography, ask there and you won't get a reply pulled out of someone's ass. :p

Last edited:
Ah thanks for the replys. I guess I should have checked the photography section. Its just I wanted a plain answer so I thought I would ask here. :p

Am I the only one who doesn't want a new mobile OS on a tablet? I understand that it needs a very specific kind of interface, but with hardware that powerful, I'd want to be able to run desktop applications if necessary. Can't someone come up with a nice, touch-friendly UI for Windows 7 or Linux or something?

The biggest limitation for me is lack of a windowing system. I want my instant messaging next to my browser goddammit!

I'm in your camp as well. One of the things that pisses me off about the iPad is that Apple single handedly, literally overnight it seems, defined what a tablet "should be" to the Apple smitten press.

Because of that, if a tablet doesn't have a giant grid of "touch-friendly" icons running on a mobile OS than it's instant fail to many people. They claim that "Windows 7 was never designed for touch", that "Only a mobile OS works on a tablet...." Yet MS built 4+ point MultiTouch into the damm OS, created a finger friendly touchscreen keyboard, automatically adjusts UI elements to be larger when on a touchscreen device, created new UI and navigation techniques like large checkboxes in Windows Explorer windows on touchscreen devices to make selecting multiple items a cinch on a touch device for example, and even redesigned the taskbar JUST for this purpose.

What's the result? Cool stuff like the HP Slate get's scrapped almost as soon as they are announced because the press goes "ZOMG it's not running a mobile OS with one giant grid of icons and nothing more....its horrible..." so average people who have never used WIndows 7 on a tablet go "Well XYZ blog said it sucked, so it must be true!"

It turns into a vicious cycle of bad press for the product, HP sees that now no one will buy one and pulls it, relegating it to "special order" for enterprise customers, and quickly says they'll redo it in webOS.

MS, even though they have a solution baked into the os, instead gets those very same features mentioned above ignored by nearly everyone, lulled and trained into thinking that the Apple way is the best way. It's kinda frustrating to see one company get praised to the high heavens for essentially enlarging a fucking iphone, when the other simply gets laughed at. Every. Single. Time. Even when they've made their OS option totally viable.

What gets me kinda excited about BB Tablet OS is that it's not just BB OS 6 "Blown up" to fit a tablet like the so called "best tablet designs" use. It actually was designed for the PlayBook from the ground up, using an OS core that's insanely reliable and stable.

It's also impressed me for how seemingly well executed it was, given that RIM has practically thrown away it's "always refined," "always fully baked" reputation for smartphones with such abominations as the Storm line (remember one of RIM's co ceo's stating flat out that "buggy software is the new smartphone reality?" I do.) and the underpowered BlackBerry Torch.

In other words, it's different. I like using something that's different. A windows 7 powered tablet is different. So is the PlayBook.

Last edited:
Would it be ok to take a iPod touch into a sauna? Will the moisture fuck everything up, or trigger the wetness indicator thing that voids warranties?

Yeah I have a Sansa Clip I'm willing to sacrifice for music, but the draw of streaming video was too good to not investigate. Are there waterproof cases out there? I assume not for the new one yet, but I can hope.

I make my own waterproof bags for my music players so I can take them in the kayak/canoe. Start by going to your nearest Radio Shack and getting a short extender (male to female) for your headphones, or the stuff to make one. You don't need a super long one, 6 inches is more than enough. Then while you are out stop at the hardware store and get a small tube of silicone sealant, some heavy duty ziplock bags that are big enough for your device, and duct tape. I use a bag in a bag so I get different sizes so they fit better, but you should not need the redundancy.

Cut off just enough of one corner to get the connector through, I make my own connectors so I just have to deal with the wire. I put most of the wire inside the bag but leave a bit out. Use some of the tape to hold down the wire (inside and out) so the sealant will cure up nice and tight (allow more time than package says). Then put something heavy in it and give a 10 minute dunk test. If it works, reinforce the corners with the tape.

the double bag system has worked really well for me. I dropped mine into a river and one drop got into the outer bag after several minutes. You won't face any where near the pressure in a sauna.

Oh, before I forget. I use gold plated conntectors for the corrosion resistance.

I agree with thevictor390 and rickhamilton620 where tablets are concerned. I currently have no need for one (or a laptop) but would also want a proper OS without compatibility issues. Here at work we have some Samsung Q1 tablets running XP and despite the small screens and slow processors they are very usable.

I suppose apple will always win favour with the press until the manage to cock it up and upset the sheep, then people will recognise the merits of other devices and operating systems.

I want a traditional, convertible tablet. Something like the Asus eeepc tablet but with more grunt to handle proper applications.