Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I'm having a real hard time deciding between a G27 and a Fanatec GT3 RS with Clubsport pedals.

I was all for a Fanatec, but some of the customer support and build quality issues I hear of have put me off. It's not a lot more money for a Logitech.

Of course, they are both expensive and I'm not sure I will end up with either :? Still rocking the original model Driving Force.

^I just got a deal on a G27 through a friend in retail, ?100 discount, couldn't let that pass. I was leaning towards Fanatec though because of the sublime pedals and 13" wheel, but when adding the 6speed-shifter it would've been ~?140 more expensive then the G27.

First impressions :
- My god it's quiet! Compared to my old G25 that is
- Shifter has a much more possitive feel to it
- Pedals can be adjusted, I've put my accelerator and brake pedal closer together
- Rev counter is kind of useless but has something "cool" about it

Random rant thought.

I think I really want a Nintendo 3DS when they come out. What I'm not excited for is the design. I mean the flat, folding design based on the DSi. My friends have gone through multiple DSis in the last two(-ish?) years because their screens or buttons kept breaking (they almost spend more time without the DSi than with it for some).

That's highly concerning to me because I can only afford to buy one (I still have my old clamshell gray DS from almost 6 years ago now and only recently has the right shoulder button started fading). I already have a PSP as well, but I'd like to try a portable 3d gaming system that doesn't require glasses. (It looks cool, and the idea is well thought-out mostly.)

My current DS looks VERY thrashed though on the outside (paint is all scratched to the plastic, the stickers are ripped off) but the inside is still in pretty good condition (few scratches on the touch screen, mostly clean, etc).

Does my concern of build quality seem valid considering what I've seen my friends experience (they aren't even nearly as rough as I am on my DS). Perhaps wait until one of them buys one and see how it survives before buying one myself?

I'm also thinking about the 3DS. I haven't had a handheld console since my Gameboy Color and something that would fit in my pocket would be nice on trips, waiting for the bus, etc.

Yeah, I like my DS and it's small enough for me, considering I usually have giant purses or tote bags as my purse. I definitely like having a DS because it helps keep me entertained for when you get stuck in those moments when you have to wait around for something to get done or so forth.

I just don't want to take my potential 3DS around to enjoy the 3D games if it's just going to break within a month or two. =(

Anyone know how to make custom themes with more than one pic in Windows 7?

Random rant thought.

I think I really want a Nintendo 3DS when they come out. What I'm not excited for is the design. I mean the flat, folding design based on the DSi. My friends have gone through multiple DSis in the last two(-ish?) years because their screens or buttons kept breaking (they almost spend more time without the DSi than with it for some).

That's highly concerning to me because I can only afford to buy one (I still have my old clamshell gray DS from almost 6 years ago now and only recently has the right shoulder button started fading). I already have a PSP as well, but I'd like to try a portable 3d gaming system that doesn't require glasses. (It looks cool, and the idea is well thought-out mostly.)

My current DS looks VERY thrashed though on the outside (paint is all scratched to the plastic, the stickers are ripped off) but the inside is still in pretty good condition (few scratches on the touch screen, mostly clean, etc).

Does my concern of build quality seem valid considering what I've seen my friends experience (they aren't even nearly as rough as I am on my DS). Perhaps wait until one of them buys one and see how it survives before buying one myself?

Well I would say it depends on if you regularly buy games in a series or something. Now I know eventually all games will migrate to 3DS only as it does whenever there is a major system upgrade and if I want more/new games I have to buy one if I want to play them. So if I want to continue playing gameboy games I have to buy one eventually no matter how cheesy it is. I do however own a screwdriver that will open gameboys.
Either way though I would wait 6 months or so before buying one. Game systems ALWAYS drop like 100$ after 6 or so months and in those 6 months only maybe 10 or so games will come out so it's not really worth it to buy it immediately. By then someone you know will probably have bought one and you can do at least a mild assessment of build quality.

Well, game systems from Nintendo don't drop in price, ever (well unless they bring out the next new system, gamecubes dropped to like $60 new after the Wii launched)! Not in America anyway. The Wii is still close to $200, the price it launched at or maybe it still is I dunno. The DSi is still like $130 or $140, about the price it launched at. DS Lites dropped kinda, to like $110 or something or $120.

So price drops are not really in consideration here. It's more the build quality because I've seen DSis break so fast and easily. I do have games for my DS though, as Nintendo keeps their gaming systems around for a long time before they make a new one. (This DS will have lasted about 6 years on the market, so yeah.)

I guess I'll wait until my friends buy one. I think my boyfriend was planning on buying one since the last portable system he had was the GBC. He owns a Virtual Boy though. O_O

I too still use a first-gen DS, compliments my first-gen PSP quite nicely. I just can't be bothered to spend a lot of money on portable gaming anymore, ever since I can drive on my own my time spent as a passenger in a car has severely lessened.

I might check out the 3DS, if the 3D actually works, if some good games come out for it (launch titles are going to be gimmicky) and if the price goes down.

Well, game systems from Nintendo don't drop in price, ever (well unless they bring out the next new system, gamecubes dropped to like $60 new after the Wii launched)! Not in America anyway. The Wii is still close to $200, the price it launched at or maybe it still is I dunno. The DSi is still like $130 or $140, about the price it launched at. DS Lites dropped kinda, to like $110 or something or $120.

So price drops are not really in consideration here. It's more the build quality because I've seen DSis break so fast and easily. I do have games for my DS though, as Nintendo keeps their gaming systems around for a long time before they make a new one. (This DS will have lasted about 6 years on the market, so yeah.)

I guess I'll wait until my friends buy one. I think my boyfriend was planning on buying one since the last portable system he had was the GBC. He owns a Virtual Boy though. O_O

When they come out they are usually closer to 200, so they still drop about 50$ I think. Wiis defiantly dropped a significant amount. Because of the shortage I know they were going for over 300 for the first year or so they came out.

Anyone know how to make custom themes with more than one pic in Windows 7?

Right click the desktop, Click "Personalization", Then click "Desktop Background" at the bottom. Select the folder with your wallpapers.
Thats what you are asking right?

When they come out they are usually closer to 200, so they still drop about 50$ I think. Wiis defiantly dropped a significant amount. Because of the shortage I know they were going for over 300 for the first year or so they came out.

We don't get price drops until the console's been out for a long timeeeee. Well, a long time in my world is a year. And Nintendo didn't even drop their DSi price by much when they did announce a price drop earlier last month. ($170 to $140, sooooooo significant. :?)

Though, Nintendo doesn't really drop the prices on their consoles, not compared to the price cuts of the PS3 and Xbox. (Significantly more, the PS3 launched at $500. My boyfriend just bought a refurb PS3 for like $200 a couple of months ago.:blink:)

It can take up to a year yeah, but half the time it takes that long for good games so I don't mind waiting.

It can take up to a year yeah, but half the time it takes that long for good games so I don't mind waiting.

Yeah, there are still only a handful of Wii and DS games that I like.... not worth the price of entry for the most part.

... I say as I replay through the Phoenix Wright series.....

Remember, with one of those mod card thingies, you can also run NES and SNES emulators.

Android phone and PSP already got that covered :lol:

Genesis is my choice of the 16-bit era, though.

Is it weird to take a desktop computer and monitor across the US-Canada border?

I don't think I can live with a netbook as my only computer for anything over a day or two. I've got the room to take my desktop, only issue I don't want the border guys to think it's like a bomb or something in there.

Just make sure all the wires are sticking out of it. They like that.

Just make sure all the wires are sticking out of it. They like that.

Sweet advice man! I'll be sure to grow out my facial hair beforehand as well. :p

Seriously though, I'd probably just put it back in the box the case came in for easy transportation.