Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

If it's good enough for the FG chief, it's good enough for me :p
And it is cheaper too :)

G500.

Best mouse currently produced today. Period.

Google DNS (mixed the spelling up thanks college for depriving me of sleep) is superior to Comcrap :D

Last edited:
Google DSN is superior to Comcrap :D

You mean DNS, right?

How has it improved your internet connection?

Edit: Funny how stuff works out. I realized I hadn't set up a static IP on my month-old laptop for port forwarding, tried to do it but couldn't find out my new ISP's DNS servers. So now I'm giving Google's a try... not sure if I notice any difference yet.

Last edited:
Seriously? 80 gigs won't hold all of your music?

Heh, I'm an utter whore. :lol:

Plus I use the spare space to back up files since if the house were to burn down while I was out I would likely have my ipod on me, or if I was home and a fire started an ipod is easier to grab and run away with. Always think on the bright side! (in this case it's bright because it's on fire)

Last edited:
You mean DNS, right?

How has it improved your internet connection?

Mainly by being much, much faster. Google's DNS is about 5-10x as fast in replying to queries as my ISP's DNS.

Interesting... I don't know if it has anything to do with my tweaking my settings tonight, but this torrent I'm waiting on is painfully slow.

Is there a reason why my new ISP doesn't seem to use standard DNS servers? When I do an ipconfig I don't seem to get the usual two DNS addresses I would get with my previous ISP.

So wait, is there a setting on my router somewhere to let me change to Google's DNS servers? Where can I get a list of ones to connect to?

So wait, is there a setting on my router somewhere to let me change to Google's DNS servers? Where can I get a list of ones to connect to?

I just changed them on my main computer instead of going through the router. What OS are you on?

Win7. I'm at work now so I can't actually do anything, just hoping it's simple.

Win7. I'm at work now so I can't actually do anything, just hoping it's simple.

It's fairly simple. Go into Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings. Then bring up the properties for the adapter you use for your internet connection (there's normally a bunch, but should be obvious which to pick whether you use wired or wireless).

In the window that pops up, get the properties on Internet Protocol Version 4. This is where you want to input the DNS settings. You need to pick a static IP, leave the default subnet mask that appears when you click in its box, input your default gateway (router's address) and then put in Google's DNS servers in the bottom area.

Sorry if you already knew some of that, I'm not sure whether any of this is common knowledge since I've done it a bunch of times.

It's fairly simple. Go into Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings. Then bring up the properties for the adapter you use for your internet connection (there's normally a bunch, but should be obvious which to pick whether you use wired or wireless).

In the window that pops up, get the properties on Internet Protocol Version 4. This is where you want to input the DNS settings. You need to pick a static IP, leave the default subnet mask that appears when you click in its box, input your default gateway (router's address) and then put in Google's DNS servers in the bottom area.

Sorry if you already knew some of that, I'm not sure whether any of this is common knowledge since I've done it a bunch of times.

Just to use Google's DNS, you don't need to pick a static IP or input your default gateway. At least I didn't...

I would also disable and enable the network adapter afterword but not sure if that is necessary.

Yeah, you're totally right. I just had that procedure in mind since I did it myself last night to do port forwarding on my router.

The steps are the same, just ignore the top part of the last box that you open. That way you can just have your dynamic IP with Google's DNS.

I'm sure there's a way to do it through the router as well but I haven't bothered. Networking isn't my strong suit.

I have the G5 and I love it. Also a lot of newer media players have some insane compression. My 32Gb Zune HD has taken way more then 32Gb of material, although I have not measured it. I think they make a 64Gb now. Basically I would look for something like that. Good luck finding 165Gb in a portable format.

Is it possible to have the Firefox 4 Beta load separately from my regular Firefox install, the beta is great but for some things I need a web browser that isn't a beta to work correctly.

You can install both and have it work off the same user directory to keep bookmarks, passwords etc - but you can only have one open at a time. Clicking the other Firefox icon for me only opens another window of the version that already is open.