Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

HD 6850 or GTX 460 1GB/768MB. If you game at 1080p I'd go with the 1GB frame buffer. Both cards provide excellent bang for buck while maintaining low power consumption, and you'll see a very tangible difference in performance. Also the E6700 dual core CPU should be able to feed enough data to these video cards without being a bottleneck itself.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/Radeon_HD_6850_Direct_Cu/28.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/Radeon_HD_6850_Direct_Cu/26.html

Note: Above links are the review for the ASUS HD 6850, but it does carry performance data for the reference HD 6850 and GTX 460.

Is there a big difference between the 2 performance wise? After looking around the 460 is a little more expensive.

Also noticed some refurbished 1st gen 16GB wifi only iPads for about $390 on Apple aus store. Kinda tempted for that money since I don't think the Android tablets will be cheap.

Last edited:
The original iPad is pretty tempting right now, but personally I just couldn't get past the fact that iTunes and iOS are not my cup of tea.

I have a Mac, so iTunes isn't as bad. What I still don't like is how locked down iOS is (unless you jailbreak).

Fingers crossed the Android tablets come to Aus at a low price point.

I've been using Android on my Nook color and to be honest it's pretty lame, versions below Honeycomb just suck for tablet use.

Sadly the Xoom is so far the only Honeycomb tablet...

Have you tried Honeycomb on the Nook yet?

Have you tried Honeycomb on the Nook yet?

Yeah... it's not really usable. I mean that's pretty obvious, but it's not even usable enough to give a decent idea of what actual Honeycomb is like.

It's just an emulator build so I suppose you can't expect much at all. Hopefully an AOSP 3.0 release isn't too far off because they haven't done anything to Honeycomb on the Nook color since February when the emulator was released.

Is there a big difference between the 2 performance wise? After looking around the 460 is a little more expensive.

Most GTX 460s come factory overclocked which are usually a bit pricier. Performance for both cards are relatively the same unless one is vastly overclocked. In my opinion you'll get more overclocking headroom on a GTX 460 since HD 6850s are already clocked quite high, but it's still possible to get to 950MHz core with the 6850; however power efficiency suffers for both cards, particularly the GTX 460.

If you have an old nvidia card that can handle Physx then getting a GTX 460 makes sense if you play games that require Physx (Arkham Asylum). Keep in mind that going this route means you'll need to supply power to two cards instead of one.

The HD 6850 is a good solution if you have 3 or more monitors, but only want one card to drive them. Just don't expect a single 6850 to run a game at 5760x1200 res unless the game predates 2004. If you are thinking about running an old game beyond 2560x1200, take note that the game my not support those resolutions nor will the aspect ratio be correct.

Both are capable of 3d gaming, but Nvidia solution is much more refined.

If you want a more powerful card but don't want to break the bank in both power consumption and price you might want to take a look at the HD 6870, HD 6950 1GB, or GTX 560 Ti.

I'm mainly worried about how a 4 year old PSU will handle a newer graphics card lol.

That and the electricity bill.

Thanks guys

So I installed Firefox 4.0 RC just a couple of hours ago and I have to say; it's feeling a lot snappier than 3.6.
I gladly agree. A couple of my extensions aren't yet compatible and a couple of minor things will take some re-learning, but apart from that it's worked just fine right from the start.

Now, if I could only get MultiClutch to work with it... :think:

Woke up at 4AM to order the iPad 2 online. Apple has been promising/advertising "fast, free shipping".....yet on my order it states "Ships: 3-5 days - Delivers: Mar 18-25"....how the fuck is that fast shipping? Order early Friday for delivery the following friday or the friday after that?

Woke up at 4AM to order the iPad 2 online. Apple has been promising/advertising "fast, free shipping".....yet on my order it states "Ships: 3-5 days - Delivers: Mar 18-25"....how the fuck is that fast shipping? Order early Friday for delivery the following friday or the friday after that?
That is fast by New Apple Gadget standards.

Which says more about their marketing department than about anything else.

That's because they don't use the standard shippers that other companies use, like DHL or Fedex, but a proprietary one that only works with their products. It's slower than other shipping methods, and not compatible with unapproved delivery locations, but the trucks they use are very slick-looking!