Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

My shop finally got the Autocad 2011 suite and I'm loving the new features in Inventor, makes it a lot easier to just make something on a whim, which I love doing.

My shop finally got the Autocad 2011 suite and I'm loving the new features in Inventor, makes it a lot easier to just make something on a whim, which I love doing.

I still haven't come to grips with the new menu in Autocad 2011 but I'll get there eventually.

I can't use the new menu in Autocad. I always have to change it back to old style. Bit weird since it's not a problem with Inventor.

I have to start learning Solidworks now.

Last edited:
Well, maybe it won't just be slightly altered Apple designs from now on then... :p

I still haven't installed Autocad 2011 yet, but all the same I'm not a big Autodesk fan...

Is the UI really different from 2010?

So do I.... :(

On another note, Chris Bangle reportedly signs deal with Samsung

So the new Galaxy will have creases all over it?
I wouldn't say its very different from 2010, they did adds some weird gradient effect all over the place which is extremely distracting to me.

Code:
2TB Seagate BARRACUDA GREEN, 3.5", 5900rpm, 64MB			89?
2TB WD Caviar Green, 3.5", SATA II, 64 MB, IntelliPower			90?
2TB Samsung SpinPoint EcoGreen F4, 3.5", SATA II, 32MB, 5400		93?

Which one to get? :)

Code:
2TB Seagate BARRACUDA GREEN, 3.5", 5900rpm, 64MB			89?
2TB WD Caviar Green, 3.5", SATA II, 64 MB, IntelliPower			90?
2TB Samsung SpinPoint EcoGreen F4, 3.5", SATA II, 32MB, 5400		93?

Which one to get? :)

first of all, why are they all so damn expensive? :p here in germany they'd be nearly 20eur less...
anyway... i personally have the WD because (since performance with these doesn't matter much anyway) it's quieter than the samsung according to some people.
can't say anything about the seagate though, i didn't even consider it since most of the local shops didn't stock it at the time (for whatever reason).
looking at topseller lists of big german stores, it's nowhere to be found and doesn't really score good reviews with the people who do end up buying it (many dead drives and buggy firmware it seems).

my recommendation therefore would be get the WD, although there shouldn't be anything wrong with the samsung either... i think quite a lot of people on here also have the WD.

first of all, why are they all so damn expensive? :p here in germany they'd be nearly 20eur less...
anyway... i personally have the WD because (since performance with these doesn't matter much anyway) it's quieter than the samsung according to some people.
can't say anything about the seagate though, i didn't even consider it since most of the local shops didn't stock it at the time (for whatever reason).
looking at topseller lists of big german stores, it's nowhere to be found and doesn't really score good reviews with the people who do end up buying it (many dead drives and buggy firmware it seems).

my recommendation therefore would be get the WD, although there shouldn't be anything wrong with the samsung either... i think quite a lot of people on here also have the WD.

I can find them for about 10? less in some shops, but I have good experiences with this one. It has great service and RMA's and such work well. :)

Probably going with WD.

Random programming question... with a double-buffered graphics model, how can you preserve the background while you paint a new basic figure on the screen? (C++) I suspect it's by the use of a third buffer... but the initialisations and copying processes to and from that third buffer still boggle me (i.e. I'm not sure where and upon what messages the copying processes should be placed).

Last edited:
Wish I could help but I have no idea in C++.

http://img269.imageshack.**/img269/7648/thoughtsv.jpg

Thoughts? I should be getting a new PC soon as I want to be able to play this year's titles.

Looks like a pretty solid build to me, what's it priced at?

Random programming question... with a double-buffered graphics model, how can you preserve the background while you paint a new basic figure on the screen? (C++) I suspect it's by the use of a third buffer... but the initialisations and copying processes to and from that third buffer still boggle me (i.e. I'm not sure where and upon what messages the copying processes should be placed).

I'm not sure about what graphics library you're coding with, but "preserving" the background should be as simple as not redrawing it at the beginning of the drawing loop, unless I don't quite understand what you're trying to do.

Thoughts? I should be getting a new PC soon as I want to be able to play this year's titles.

Needs more SSD. :D

I'm not sure about what graphics library you're coding with, but "preserving" the background should be as simple as not redrawing it at the beginning of the drawing loop, unless I don't quite understand what you're trying to do.

Right now we're just building minor graphical apps from the base out of Visual Studio 2010.

My iPad shipped today! Will deliver on the 17th...apparently it's somewhere in China right now.

I'll need a new monitor as well, I'm thinking at something ?21" and affordable with a good price/quality ratio. Maybe this one?

I bought a 24" inch non-LED Samsung monitor for that exact same price almost exactly a year ago...

It's been working well for me. The only thing I dislike about it is the shiny 'chrome' trim that runs along the bottom and the hideously bright blue LED which are both distracting, and the model you linked seems to have done away with both. You might still find the ultra-high glossy finish Samsung uses distracting in brightly lit situations though.