Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Oh damn, I though right click... If it's double click then you just double click, like you normally do.

Edit: And I even written double click in my answer :-D

Wait... excuse my unfamiliarity with Macs here, but what part of the hardware prevents you from double-clicking normally?

the part where you bought the wrong mouse :lol:

The laptops have one button though, you just put two fingers on the touchpad instead and it right clicks, takes a little bit to make the habit but really not hard.

Because it's not worth creating a new topic over:

plugged my USB drive into my laptop running win7 today, it showed up fine and everything, but when I opened it up in explorer there was nothing at all on it. It however said it only had 1.74 mb of free space out of it's 2 gig. It didn't have that much stuff on it before though. Plugged it into dads xp computer and the same thing. Is it dead?and is there any way of formatting it in win7 to see if I can fix it?

It's less than 6 months old, but I don't know which brand it is. It is one of the transparent green usbs that came with the sims 3 collectors edition, so I guess I've lost all of my "exclusive content" :lol:

right click > format

had the same thing happen with a brand new USB drive...

erm, ... kind of a dubya-tee-eff moment here.

My laptop is on, and plugged into the docking station. It has been for weeks. Hasn't been shut off either
Yet the icon in my taskbar is saying "94% - charging"

How is this possible?

Often a laptop will let the battery discharge and recharge a bit when constantly plugged in. It's actually not good for a lithium-ion battery to be constantly topped off, IIRC.

Ah, so I'm not the only one to be confused with double-clicking and right-clicking today :-D
Apparently not :mrgreen:

Often a laptop will let the battery discharge and recharge a bit when constantly plugged in. It's actually not good for a lithium-ion battery to be constantly topped off, IIRC.

dunno, don't care

3 year work PC FTL

Finding a good tube preamp these days is difficult. Especially since I don't want some chinese thing and we don't have a proper place that sells vintage equipment around here.

right click > format

had the same thing happen with a brand new USB drive...

yep, that worked. Why didn't I see that? :lol:

+rep to you :)

I read somewhere that charging to one hundred, unplugging and draining it to about 5% than charging again is the best option?
I've heard that running down the battery until the laptop dies completely recalibrates the % left.

^ Maybe, but it's definitely better to partial charge a li-ion battery than to let it run out and do a full charge. What I was saying was that the laptop purposely let the battery discharge a bit to keep it healthy.

Finding a good tube preamp these days is difficult. Especially since I don't want some chinese thing and we don't have a proper place that sells vintage equipment around here.

You could DIY one.

DIY audio = WIN

I read somewhere that charging to one hundred, unplugging and draining it to about 5% than charging again is the best option?

somewhere i heard that draining the battery to 70% will prolong its life.

My XPS M1330 wouldn't turn on the other day, so I took it to the Dell service center, and they say the motherboard is fried. Since it's out of warrantly, it'd cost 2500 riyals ($670/450?) to replace it. I figure it's not worth it, since the only thing I really needed it for was to run Windows applications (my desktop is powerful but Linux-only at the moment), so instead of fixing it, I'm just gonna buy a copy of Windows 7. This leaves me with two questions:

1. Is there anything in 7 Pro that's worth the extra $30? I'm not gonna log onto any domains, so the only interesting thing I've seen so far is XP mode.
  2. What to do with the laptop parts? :mrgreen:

^Sell them! How big is the HDD?