Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

It's still pretty prevalent in 7, but you can change it with UAC settings.

Well, whatever I did after about 20 minutves of going back and forth and re-checking boxes I'm sure I've checked before seems to have solved the issue.

I do get those "you need administrator" messages a lot, though. This was just one where it wouldn't give me an option to continue. The messages sure are annoying, though. i thought this was something that was supposed to be fixed from Vista-to-7?

It is. In Vista, you had to enter your password :p

In all seriousness in my experience UAC is much less intrusive in Windows 7 compared to Vista. It also shouldn't normally be coming up during file copy operations like that unless you're trying to access system files :dunno:

Ah. Except for the Vista Basic on my netbook, I skipped right from XP to 7.

For some reason firefox keeps locking up randomly and none of the buttons/tabs/scrollbars work and then it won't close unless I force it to.

4, I didn't have this issue yesterday.

It did it to me on 3. Re-installation didn't fix it.

It will be interesting to see if they ever send you the correct one, I did this dance over a 50$ cell phone with motorolla and after FIVE fuckups I just gave up.
The specs on the order page are correct so crossing my fingers...
Weird...it keeps re-setting itself to "read-only". Even after I unckeck the box, it tells me that an administrator has to OK it, I click "OK", a progress bar progresses, and closes. I then go back to the folder, and it's still says "Read-Only"
OK I can't find it right now but you should have a "Take ownership" button somewhere in the settings (reason I can't find it cuz all the files I have I'm the owner of)
Because they won't risk letting you defraud them out of another laptop, even if it was their failt. Until they get it in their hands, it still could potentially come back to yours. Although, they should have been able to work something out where you drop it off at the store, and the store says "It's OK to send the replacement: we (Apple) have the computer."
That's one of the reasons I wanted to deal with them through the store. They could have shipped it to the store and then have me come and bring the old one. This way they are not relinquishing ownership of the machine until they get the old one. Alternatively the order could have been placed to get it built and have shipping authorized only when they receive confirmation.

Last edited:
There might be some kind of limitation in their system where an order can't be placed or shipped unless there's a method of payment put into the system, and no way of "faking" one.

There might be some kind of limitation in their system where an order can't be placed or shipped unless there's a method of payment put into the system, and no way of "faking" one.

Probably something like that. Alternatively the suck :(

I've just started playing Medal of Honor (the new one) on my PC and it runs smoothly on my system when graphics are set to "low" and 1080p resolution, but after 5 or 10 minutes, it starts to get really laggy. What could be the reason? I think it's my CPU because when a alt+tab out of the game, I see that my CPU is at 100% usage (both cores 100% as well) and the temperature is around 50-55 ?C. Once I quit the game, CPU usage comes back down to under 10% and the temperature decreases. Could it be the game not using my CPU's power efficiently (no other recent games I tried have done this)?

BTW, my CPU is a 2.66GHz C2D E7300 Wolfdale I got about 2.5 years ago.

nothing wrong with having the CPU run at 100% load. temperatures are totally fine as well... also, if it was your CPU, it should be laggy right from the start, not after 5-10min.
off the top of my head i'd say after 5-10min your RAM is filled up and windows starts dumping stuff to/from the HDD which then causes rather shabby performance, but if you're on 2GB or more, it really shouldn't be a problem unless you're running a ton of stuff in the background. so yeah, i really don't know whats going on but i'm pretty sure it's not the CPU :?

What GPU do you have, and when was the last time you cleaned the dust out of your case? Things could be getting toasty in there and clocking down to compensate.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ah/ahpadt/2011/03/27/ff4-screen.png

Slowly getting accomodated to FF4. Moving the buttons around and getting a plain grey skin did wonders.

I've just started playing Medal of Honor (the new one) on my PC and it runs smoothly on my system when graphics are set to "low" and 1080p resolution, but after 5 or 10 minutes, it starts to get really laggy. What could be the reason? I think it's my CPU because when a alt+tab out of the game, I see that my CPU is at 100% usage (both cores 100% as well) and the temperature is around 50-55 ?C. Once I quit the game, CPU usage comes back down to under 10% and the temperature decreases. Could it be the game not using my CPU's power efficiently (no other recent games I tried have done this)?

BTW, my CPU is a 2.66GHz C2D E7300 Wolfdale I got about 2.5 years ago.

I have the same CPU, and while I don't have Metal of Honor, I haven't been that severely bottlenecked by any modern games. I second the GPU question. It also seems like the temps should be higher if it was overheating and downclocking. Memory leak is another possibility as mentioned, it fits the degradation over time.

Wolfdales start throwing problems (heat warnings, auto-shutdowns, etc) around 100c, so I think you're ok on the CPU temp front.

I have 4GB of RAM and my GPU is a Radeon HD 4760 512MB. It does go back to normal when I alt-tab back into the game, but it starts lagging again after 10 minutes or so. I didn't dust it out in a while, but my GPU temp doesn't get above 45?C (I put a custom cooler on it about a year ago).

Last edited:
PC is 7 years old... and it feels it... not that i've ever felt something that was 7 years old.

PC is 7 years old... and it feels it... not that i've ever felt something that was 7 years old.

I don't have anything meaningful to share except:

ChrisHanson.jpg

/runs