Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I disagree. The Pentium 4 chips were excellent, but AMD's chips proved to be better at day-to-day applications and the price was unbeatable. If you wanted to get the fastest machine at the time, you had to go with a Pentium 4.

With that said, Intel's greatest downfall was the Rambus (RDRam) debacle.

There is nothing to disagree about.

Edit: I guess you were replying to rickhamilton620's post, because there really is nothing contentions in what I said about the topic.

Last edited:
I love my AMD, loved my dual core AMD and laughed at people who were dealing with overheating Intels. And people look at me weird when I say I like AMD.

There is nothing to disagree about.

Edit: I guess you were replying to rickhamilton620's post, because there really is nothing contentions in what I said about the topic.

Yeah, I was referring to Rick's post.

For some reason I still really want an original Droid/Milestone.

That's kind of random, I can see some old models having a certain appeal but the original Droid?

Out of curiosity, what aspect of it appeals to you?

The "heavy-industry" tone of the design just really appeals to me, and the Verizon commercials were cool (especially the stealth fighter one).

Motorola-DROID-1.jpg

I really like Motorola designs, but the locked bootloader means a no-go for me right now. As awesome as HTC hardware specs are, the designs just don't appeal to me as much as the Droids. There is a little bit of hope though.

Speaking of Motorla, here's a Wired article which I found a good read: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/04/mf_android/all/1

Despite marketing the droid as hacker-friendly and open, the locked bootloader is a real kick to the nuts. As everyone tried to distinguish their Android device by adding in more and more software/UI enhancements, Motorola should really knock out a feature-packed vanilla Android handset that will receive future upgrades; A sort of Motorola Nexus. That alone would distinguish them from everyone else.

Last edited:

Awesome, while the locked down Milestone would actually work in your area, the Droid 1's notable for being very easy to hack. It's also a very sold feeling phone, with pretty good build quality, and metal pieces. Newer Droid 1's have a domed keyboard with the same layout as the pictured phone and it makes a big difference in usability. Sadly, it's keyboard isn't top of class.

The "heavy-industry" tone of the design just really appeals to me, and the Verizon commercials were cool (especially the stealth fighter one).

http://www.phonegg.com/Motorola/DROID/Motorola-DROID-1.jpg

I really like Motorola designs, but the locked bootloader means a no-go for me right now. As awesome as HTC hardware specs are, the designs just don't appeal to me as much as the Droids. There is a little bit of hope though.

Speaking of Motorla, here's a Wired article which I found a good read: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/04/mf_android/all/1

Despite marketing the droid as hacker-friendly and open, the locked bootloader is a real kick to the nuts. As everyone tried to distinguish their Android device by adding in more and more software/UI enhancements, Motorola should really knock out a feature-packed vanilla Android handset that will receive future upgrades; A sort of Motorola Nexus. That alone would distinguish them from everyone else.

The Droid 3's supposed to be a Vanilla handset...I could see it..but I couldn't. Even if it's vanilla, it'll still be with the encrypted bootloader I'm sure. Locked is sadly the future for a lot of mainstream makers. Even beloved HTC is going that route.

The Droid 1, WAS Motorola's Nexus phone in a way. It was co-developed hand in hand with Google and Verizon. It was stock android with nary a carrier add-in to be seen. For many, it was the way early CDMA equivalent to Nexus One. It's gotten more official updates than a lot of other phones due to it's vanilla nature. Only reason it's not on Gingerbread now is because of the RAM and probably stock processor speed. It's possible to run a custom Gingerbread ROM, yes, but for the best experience overall I could see why they chose to end it on Froyo.

If Motorola releases a Droid 3 with a vanilla build of Gingerbread, with a unlocked bootloader, I could deal with the keyboard...which will well...probably be shit to be honest. It's not Motorola's strong suit IMO, although the Droid 2 is world's better than Droid 1.

camera people, I need a simple basic point & click for regular users. No uberleet lenses or pro equipment here, just looking for something basic with good image quality (sharpness)

Must

- be easy to pick up and use (no million menus to just take a simple picture, auto settings FTW)
- budget : 250? - 300?ish
- i prefer a sturdy model, I have a 1,5 year old who likes to throw stuff
- rainproof is a must

- a "decent" camera brand like Canon or Nikon (definitely not a must, our 5 yr old Olympus is starting to go)
- 10 MP if possible

Ideas?

Since my original post was lost in a sea of Processor talk (except for HighVoltage's PM, I still loves you bro, but the camera you picked out is no longer available), here it is again, with some more options added

Current candidates

- CANON PS SX 130 IS
- Olympus SP-800UZ
- Nikon Coolpix S8100
- Panasonic DMC DZ10

any help is much appreciated

Yeah, sorry I forgot the W290 is outdated now. How about the Sony W370? I'm personally thinking of getting one - 14.1mpx and 7x optical.

Since my original post was lost in a sea of Processor talk (except for HighVoltage's PM, I still loves you bro, but the camera you picked out is no longer available), here it is again, with some more options added

Current candidates

- CANON PS SX 130 IS
- Olympus SP-800UZ
- Nikon Coolpix S8100
- Panasonic DMC DZ10

any help is much appreciated

Check dpreview.com for comparison tests that cover this range of camera. Most camera people here are knee-deep in SLRs and other high-end gear so won't give much advice in this thread. Often the best way to figure out what you want is to just try them out.

I had the Panasonic TZ7 TZ10/ZS7 (the model right before the TZ10/ZS10) and it's been an excellent point & shoot with great image quality in bright sunlight.
I loved the GPS on it, it works great and has been able to track the 4000 miles road trip I took across the US last year beautifully.

If the ZS10 is every bit as good as the previous model, and according to the reviews, it is, then that a very good choice. You should also consider the ZS7 if you can find it as it's basically the same camera with a little less zoom for about half the price.

What you should do though is test them all, it might look good on paper but if you don't like the feel of it in your hands you're going to hate using it. I was all sold on the Sony HX5V until I tested it and didn't like it at all...

Edit: I just realized that I am a moron and the ZS7 and TZ10 are actually the same camera! I was confusing it with the ZS10... Damn you Panasonic and your habit of having different names in different markets...

Last edited:
Wow, Firefox 4 on this little netbook (1.6 GHz Atom N270, 1 GB RAM, Windows 7) is so much better than 3. Initial launch, page loading, page scrolling, everything is faster and smoother.

For the record, the only reason why I waited until now to update is because I hardly ever use this computer.

Try the latest Chrome if you haven't, it's great on mine.