Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

To answer your original question, Mac OS 8 won't even begin to work, it's designed for a completely different processor architecture. Just like old Macs couldn't run Windows.

Actually...

:p

Granted, that was with a pc daughter card. :)

They actually had a x86 processor card in some Macs so you could use Windows alongside Mac OS, but Mac OS was still running on the PowerPC processor :)

Edit: Fuck, I just saw what you said under the video!

They actually had a x86 processor card in some Macs so you could use Windows alongside Mac OS, but Mac OS was still running on the PowerPC processor :)

Edit: Fuck, I just saw what you said under the video!

Haha, nothin wrong with a bit of clarification though! :cool:

What could cause a brand new computer (Hard drives excluded) to freeze every once in a while from simple tasks (Mainly web browsing)? These are just completely random freezes, with the computer normally reporting no more than 30% RAM usage and 5% CPU usage (8GB DDR3 and Intel Core i7 2600K respectively) around the time, which I ignored at first but after a while they do get pretty annoying. My only thought is perhaps that one of my hard drives is screwing up, seeing as that's the oldest part of my computer and has often been put under a lot of 24/7 usage from downloading stuff overnight and what not.

Is it a total freeze with no task manager or anything? Does it come back on it's own or is a hard restart required? If it does come back on its own, does it show high load or just kind of pick up where it left off? Will you send me twenty dollars?

Is it a total freeze with no task manager or anything? Does it come back on it's own or is a hard restart required? If it does come back on its own, does it show high load or just kind of pick up where it left off? Will you send me twenty dollars?

Total freeze. Mouse will move around but task manager refuses to pop-up until after the freeze. It comes back on its own after a minute or two. It picks up where it left off. And no, I'm afraid not :p

Have you run a mem test?

Nope. How would I do that?

Edit: Nevermind, I imagine you mean this. Going to run it in a moment.

Last edited:
That's a lot of technical mumbo jumbo there. :rolleyes:

Look, come up with whatever argument you want, fact of the matter is a USB 2.0 hard drive or thumb drive will be at least three times slower than a USB 3.0 drive transferring the same large file.

End. Of. Story.
Not to sound like a jackass but did you actually test that assertion or are you going based strictly on the theoretical limits of the two standards? narf tested USB vs eSATA not USB2 vs 3, those are completely different technologies. There is no eSATA on Apple laptops, never have, likely never will but it's not really exclusive to Apple, my Dell XPS didn't have eSATA either and it would fall into the high end category. No one looking at an Apple laptop would be expecting eSATA capabilities, however since TB is basically an external PCIe interface it would be trivial to make an eSATA to TB adaptor (and I'm sure we will see them pretty soon). That's really the main benefit of TB, it has more than enough bandwidth to support any standard that's out there and while yes it would require an adaptor unlike USB3 or eSATA it would not be limited to just the native protocol***.
***Yes there are translators from USB to SATA/PATA but they still have to do translation from USB to SATA and back, by the sound of it TB would work just like a normal expansion port inside of your PC.

IMO the ONLY bad thing about TB is the fact that instead of the original designs I saw where it would look like a USB port and accept all of the current USB peripherals.

Ran a mem test with 0 errors. I only ran it for the recommended twenty minutes however, and I'll leave it on overnight once I'm done using my computer just to make sure.

Check overheating maybe? I had a similar issue with a machine that had a CPU issue so you might want to look into that.

Check overheating maybe? I had a similar issue with a machine that had a CPU issue so you might want to look into that.

CPU temperature is reported at around 20-25 degrees Celsius at the moment, with motherboard temperature at around 25-27. Seems to be fine.

Edit: Just had another freeze, but no change in temperatures or CPU fan activity.

Last edited:
I ran another mem test overnight, still 0 errors.

Edit: I seem to have noticed that the freezes are very likely to happen during the installation of any program.

Last edited:

Edit: I seem to have noticed that the freezes are very likely to happen during the installation of any program.

I've been experiencing something very similar, I even replaced by CPU cooler to see if that made a difference. In the end I just underclocked my RAM slightly and that seems to have solved the problem.

Does the HDD indicator light go solid or rapidly flashing during the freezes? I had that happen recently, and thought my HDD was going bad. I ended up just opening up the case and reseating everything I could find (save for the processor) and it seems to have resolved the issue.

This may sound silly but defrag?

I think there are more than a few kindle/ipad/tablet owners here, what do you guys read mostly on the thing? i have like 300 sources for the device through calibre and all i can think of is Wired, anything else good?