Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

If you mean to blame as in cursed, probably.
I am sure for example, this computer would be fixed if apple were not utter retards and keep replacing the same damn part. Lets try the same thing over and over and expect it to help!

Windows 7 had no problems with my Siso Tablo which for all intents and purposes was a tablet pen (driver-wise). Honestly I'm not sure you'd like Linux, it's very customizable but very fiddly to do so and has a bit of a learning curve. Personally I'm not a fan.

But yeah, it's really weird that all of this shit keeps breaking on you... I've had no major problems with my Acer even when I did things that had every right to break the software (long story).

Apparently getting the tablet to run on linux requires figuring out coding. LETS SEE HOW STUPID I AM.

Apparently getting the tablet to run on linux requires figuring out coding. LETS SEE HOW STUPID I AM.

A lot of things in Linux require what many of us noobs would consider coding. I imagine it gets less and less so with every iteration, but prepare for simple things to be come very not simple.

Looks like there's something at least:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxwacom/

Not sure what tablet you have. Also keep in mind that some distributions (Ubuntu) are actually very good at finding drivers out-of-the-box. Failing that there are deep repositories. Failing that I'm stuck because I've never managed to compile and install something from source, other than (bizarrely) Pidgin.

I haven't been following too closely, but it seems Kat is having hardware troubles with Apple and software troubles with Windows/Asus.

Maybe Hackintosh is the answer?

Minor update for anyone who noticed my sudden need for a new motherboard, the system now boots but Windows BSOD's almost immediately. Safe Mode hangs after loading classpnp.sys. Startup repair fails. These are the same symptoms I had BEFORE the machine stopped booting completely. So I guess it was just coincidence or what? :?

Yesterday was spent diagnosing all of this and I now have a plan of action.... Windows 7 was downloaded from MSDNAA which I no longer have access to. I found a (possibly legit) download for a Windows 7 iso and plugged my hard drive into another computer to find my product key, which I managed to do through some software. So now I will do an upgrade install and hope most of my stuff is preserved, google suggests this problem is more or less unrecoverable.

Burning the damn DVD was another can of worms, with my PC out of commision the only burner I had access to was an acient Pentium 4 box (quite advanced for its time). It refused to recongise a USB device for more than a few minutes (resulting in a few unusable DVDs) so I had to jump through some file sharing hoops and transferred the file over the network. It also took forever because the ancient Burner was limited to 1x speed....

TL;DR: desktop is ALMOST back up and running, replaced the motherboard and now need to reinstall Windows. Then I've decided I'll try my hand at overclocking because I need to justify the motherboard somehow.

I haven't been following too closely, but it seems Kat is having hardware troubles with Apple and software troubles with Windows/Asus.

LOL, good idea.

@Katwalk, I'm surprised you were having Wacom tablet issues, my old Acer tablet ran fine under Win7 (still does) with pen input. Linux MAY be a bigger pain in the ass as, as far as I have seen, it supports some very basic functionality of the tablet but doesn't support things like pressure sensitivity and eraser. To get right-click working I had to change the config files a little bit (luckily plenty of info is around on the net). Also if you do serious graphics work I doubt you would be very happy with GIMP, most people who work with PS generally hate it.

A lot of things in Linux require what many of us noobs would consider coding. I imagine it gets less and less so with every iteration, but prepare for simple things to be come very not simple.
Yeah I assume this is easy shit, but the combination of "I have not used this OS before and do not know where anything is" with "I am not properly medicated and have lost the brainpower to read" will probably have hilarious results. On the bright side I am doing this on the dell desktop, which is fairly expendable if I wreak everything.
Looks like there's something at least:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxwacom/

Not sure what tablet you have. Also keep in mind that some distributions (Ubuntu) are actually very good at finding drivers out-of-the-box. Failing that there are deep repositories. Failing that I'm stuck because I've never managed to compile and install something from source, other than (bizarrely) Pidgin.
Yeah I am halfway through that right now. At least it is reading the tablet as a tablet right now even if the buttons and pressure are not on yet.

The thing about hackintosh is from what I have looked up on it your have to do similar jump through hoops crap every time there is a minor update, so it would really only save me the "Where is things" part. Plus OSX is somewhat locked down and you need to download third party software or use the terminal just to unhide the folders.

LOL, good idea.

@Katwalk, I'm surprised you were having Wacom tablet issues, my old Acer tablet ran fine under Win7 (still does) with pen input. Linux MAY be a bigger pain in the ass as, as far as I have seen, it supports some very basic functionality of the tablet but doesn't support things like pressure sensitivity and eraser. To get right-click working I had to change the config files a little bit (luckily plenty of info is around on the net). Also if you do serious graphics work I doubt you would be very happy with GIMP, most people who work with PS generally hate it.

I am doing the thing that makes pressure sensitivity work now. What was happening was there were 2 drivers for the eee slate, one that it came with it out of the box that only worked with art rage and for general navigation but would not support for example photoshop pressure sensitivity at all, and one that had to be downloaded to use photoshop and anything else not art rage. Every time I turned off the computer it would reset the download one to be messed up and I had to reinstall and recalibrate it. This combined with the fact it could not be perfectly calibrated (you could only calibrate 1/3 of the screen. if it was perfect in the middle the cursor would be off to one side on the right edge and off to the opposite side on the left edge) it didn't seem really worth it to me.
Also, can't you run photoshop through wine?

Last edited:
Well apparently a computer that allows me to draw things and access the internet is asking too much. The Macbook is droping signal again (SURPRISE, surprise of course meaning I am surprised it took so long to start doing it again), I sent the asus back for the unforgivable sin of constantly uninstalling the drivers for the tablet pen when it is a freaking tablet PC (I shouldn't have thought that a Windows 7 computer could run wacom hardware, I should know better by now) so I am once again down to the 2007 MBP that is working slightly better after me cleaning it up inside but still a bit glitchy and slow and a -1225$ balance on my credit card as I have not had my refund yet which means I cannot purchase a functioning computer that can run linux (because fuck apple and microsoft and their uselessness, all I can do is cross my fingers and PRAY linux supports tablets better than 7 as OSX will be useless as of the lion upgrade). Fuck computers. Fuck all computers ever.

Does your Internet issue happens everywhere or just on your WiFi network at home? Because I really think the issue would be linked to your router. The fact that it works fine with your old MacBook Pro doesn't necessarily means that it's not the issue as both machines have very different hardware.

Does your Internet issue happens everywhere or just on your WiFi network at home? Because I really think the issue would be linked to your router. The fact that it works fine with your old MacBook Pro doesn't necessarily means that it's not the issue as both machines have very different hardware.
It did it at school too. I assumed at the time it was the school router but now it is 2 different ones. It doesn't just work with the old MBP, the dell I am linuxing is hooked up to wifi, mom's netbook is on wifi, I had no issues with the asus as far as wifi connection when I had that either, so it is only this computer out of 5 computers that is having the issue.
If it is NOT malfunctioning I am rather disgusted, because that means that the airport is worse than the one on the older version, worse than a netgear usb wifi adapter, worse than whatever is in the 200$ msi wind and is not just an issue of it being a "new" computer like apple said at the store because the freaking tablet pc that only came out a couple months ago was fine and this computer is almost a year old now.

In that case it definitely seems like there's something wrong with it... Do you always go to the Apple Store to get it fixed or do you go to an Apple reseller / service center? I tend to prefer the service centers as they tend to care a bit more about the machines (well, we do anyway).
If it's been not working and in the store for quite a long time though, yell at the Genius and just ask for a new machine, in most cases that should work.

Well apparently a computer that allows me to draw things and access the internet is asking too much. The Macbook is droping signal again (SURPRISE, surprise of course meaning I am surprised it took so long to start doing it again), I sent the asus back for the unforgivable sin of constantly uninstalling the drivers for the tablet pen when it is a freaking tablet PC (I shouldn't have thought that a Windows 7 computer could run wacom hardware, I should know better by now) so I am once again down to the 2007 MBP that is working slightly better after me cleaning it up inside but still a bit glitchy and slow and a -1225$ balance on my credit card as I have not had my refund yet which means I cannot purchase a functioning computer that can run linux (because fuck apple and microsoft and their uselessness, all I can do is cross my fingers and PRAY linux supports tablets better than 7 as OSX will be useless as of the lion upgrade). Fuck computers. Fuck all computers ever.

The driver's thing is annoying, it's things like this that give Windows it's bad rep, and causes many to run into the arms of Steve Jobs. :p Windows 8 needs to work on this, especially if they want to really get into the tablet game. There are millions of systems running Wacom digitizers, it shouldn't be too hard. Either it's a Asus thing or a Windows thing but it needs fixed. Maybe the digitizer wasn't a Wacom, but a N-Trig...who knows...they certainly don't make it easy on the websites and stuff.

While it looks like you installed linux already, It's usually a very simple process...it's improved a lot and I've never had to hunt for drivers. Then again, my computer's fairly standard.

Hachnitosh seems like a really bad idea. It's very much a guessing game if you pick a system that isn't the most popular and a guide is not written for it.

That said, one of the most famous hackintosh systems happen's to be the MSI Wind U100. If that's a system that her mom isn't using much that's something to consider. It's very simple to get OS X up and running, only reason why I haven't is lack of a Mac to make the USB stick with, that's not a issue with Kat.

It did it at school too. I assumed at the time it was the school router but now it is 2 different ones. It doesn't just work with the old MBP, the dell I am linuxing is hooked up to wifi, mom's netbook is on wifi, I had no issues with the asus as far as wifi connection when I had that either, so it is only this computer out of 5 computers that is having the issue.
If it is NOT malfunctioning I am rather disgusted, because that means that the airport is worse than the one on the older version, worse than a netgear usb wifi adapter, worse than whatever is in the 200$ msi wind and is not just an issue of it being a "new" computer like apple said at the store because the freaking tablet pc that only came out a couple months ago was fine and this computer is almost a year old now.

Could you use the usb wifi adapter with the MacBook?

In that case it definitely seems like there's something wrong with it... Do you always go to the Apple Store to get it fixed or do you go to an Apple reseller / service center? I tend to prefer the service centers as they tend to care a bit more about the machines (well, we do anyway).
If it's been not working and in the store for quite a long time though, yell at the Genius and just ask for a new machine, in most cases that should work.

I am not sure if there is a not-apple store service center nearby *looks* apparently the only ones are in boston. I think I would rather try to figure out the linux code then drive to those....
I asked for a new machine the last time (FFS, it's been almost a month now, you would think after plugging in like 2/3 the thing's worth in parts they would just do that already) and they didn't do it.

The driver's thing is annoying, it's things like this that give Windows it's bad rep, and causes many to run into the arms of Steve Jobs. :p Windows 8 needs to work on this, especially if they want to really get into the tablet game. There are millions of systems running Wacom digitizers, it shouldn't be too hard. Either it's a Asus thing or a Windows thing but it needs fixed. Maybe the digitizer wasn't a Wacom, but a N-Trig...who knows...they certainly don't make it easy on the websites and stuff.
Yeah it's really annoying. I LIKED windows when I switched over, I only did it because my laptop happened to break the same week I was starting my classes for graphic design and it was easier that way since all their computers for those classes were macs. Windows got more shiny and more stupid :(
While it looks like you installed linux already, It's usually a very simple process...it's improved a lot and I've never had to hunt for drivers. Then again, my computer's fairly standard.
I think that is actually part of the problem I am having right now, I am trying to script in Ubuntu but the scripts are default opening in the notepad app and not running, now I have to figure out how to open with the root thing because I downloaded linux for dummies (well lets face it, it is probably somewhat appropriate) and it is locked down like OSX :lol:
Hachnitosh seems like a really bad idea. It's very much a guessing game if you pick a system that isn't the most popular and a guide is not written for it.

That said, one of the most famous hackintosh systems happen's to be the MSI Wind U100. If that's a system that her mom isn't using much that's something to consider. It's very simple to get OS X up and running, only reason why I haven't is lack of a Mac to make the USB stick with, that's not a issue with Kat.
Mother is afraid of all unknown computer things, she is still using XP because she is too computer challenged to do well with a new OS. I quite honestly though did buy the wind for that reason, in case she changed her mind or decided she hated the thing so I would just hackintosh it for me
Could you use the usb wifi adapter with the MacBook?
Windows driver only, I tried before :( I would only have useable internet in a windows or linux partition, so it is actually less obnoxious to draw the picture and put it on the flashdrive to transfer to another computer to upload as otherwise I would get to have the fun driver issue on the partition.

I think I will continue my linux adventure a little later... like next week after my therapy appointment and hopefully after I start some brain unscramblers so I no longer am retarded.

Last edited:
Since we seem to have a fair amount of Google fans here, I wonder if anyone would have an answer to my question.
So rather than carry two phones (work and personal) I set up my personal phone for work e-mail and a Google Voice number that forwards calls to both. Work phone being Android fully integrates with GV and I don't even get voice mails on it as they all go to GV VM. Now what I am trying to do is the following:

When someone calls my GV number, if I don't pick up, I want the call to be forwarded to the GV VM. However if someone calls my personal cell number and I don't pick up I wan the call to be forwarded to my normal VM. So far I have found a way to make either all calls go to GV VM or none. Anyone have any ideas?
and causes many to run into the arms of Steve Jobs.
That and 5 second wake up times of MBPs :p
Also, can't you run photoshop through wine?
Not sure never tried, but I can tell you that wine sux horribly (at least in my experience) the heavier and more complex the application the more problems you are going to have. Random crashes are not uncommon and updates break shit quite easily. Maybe look for a wine like program that does the same with OS X apps, after all OS X and Linux are much closer together than Windows and Linux.

Last edited:
They did, and md4/5 depending on the version of NTLM iirc. SHA-1 is slower, but only a few times slower - making it still viable.

As a frame of reference, my HD5850 does 2.5 billion MD5s per second and just over 1billion SHA-1s per second. A 7-digit a-zA-Z0-9 SHA-1 hash takes less than an hour worst-case, hence half an hour average-case.

PS: Liftoff! There goes my GPU fan...

Listening on the network is also a possibility. Also, obtain hashes from an "unimportant" server, compute real password, use real password elsewhere hoping for same credentials.

Rainbow tables fail at salted hashes though... everyone worth their salt :drums: should use them anyways. In short, you modify the password by attaching a string unique to the user to the password before hashing. That way the precomputed values in the tables become useless.

Where in the article did they mention the hash algorithms? How many bits?

Since we seem to have a fair amount of Google fans here, I wonder if anyone would have an answer to my question.
So rather than carry two phones (work and personal) I set up my personal phone for work e-mail and a Google Voice number that forwards calls to both. Work phone being Android fully integrates with GV and I don't even get voice mails on it as they all go to GV VM. Now what I am trying to do is the following:

When someone calls my GV number, if I don't pick up, I want the call to be forwarded to the GV VM. However if someone calls my personal cell number and I don't pick up I wan the call to be forwarded to my normal VM. So far I have found a way to make either all calls go to GV VM or none. Anyone have any ideas?.

Setting > Call Settings > Voicemail Service

I'm surprised it didn't ask to be set up upon installation.

Main phone settings, not GV.