Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

brydie76

Viva Las Clarksonistas!
Car(s)
2012 Suzuki Swift Sport/Aprilia Sportcity 200
The computer killing is spreading, my work PC has started blue-screening on me. Why? Because of the graphics. Oh, how familiar.....

(my last personal Dell died 2 years into its life from a complete graphics card meltdown after many similar BSODs. Obviously my work PC won't have a graphics card, but still amusing how all my Dells die in the same way. Good reminder to do get an encrypted USB key and finally do a backup too).

villej

Car(s)
'03 and '06 Renault Megane
I don't really care about processor speed if the user experience is solid anyway. It is just a number on paper. I think that is the only thing on the phone that could be described as last gen. And to accompany the processor and dedicated graphics chip it has 1GB of ram and 64GB of storage anyway, which look like quite nice figures.

Of course the real user experience still remains to be seen, but I'll rather judge a phone by that than any number on paper.

Last edited:

katwalk

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2003 VW Beetle, 2017 Abarth Fiat 500c
I am sorry I am apparently sending everyone some sort of virus. D:

Cold Fussion

A small island off the coast of New Zealand
Car(s)
1988 Ford Laser Ghia
I don't really care about processor speed if the user experience is solid anyway. It is just a number on paper. I think that is the only thing on the phone that could be described as last gen. And to accompany the processor and dedicated graphics chip it has 1GB of ram and 64GB of storage anyway, which look like quite nice figures.

Of course the real user experience still remains to be seen, but I'll rather judge a phone by that than any number on paper.
If the screen is a pentile display (which I think was likely) then thats another thing that is last gen. This thing has to compete against the sg2, sensation, iphone 5 and a whole host of tegra 2 based phones, this one does not compete in the hardware department at all.

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
If the screen is a pentile display (which I think was likely) then thats another thing that is last gen. This thing has to compete against the sg2, sensation, iphone 5 and a whole host of tegra 2 based phones, this one does not compete in the hardware department at all.
FTFY

Hardware and OS do not sell phones, availability of 3rd party apps do and Nokia is not even on the radar in that space. If they price this one at around a $100 or so it might make a nice feature phone....

GRtak

Forum Addict
I think my iRiver H10 has finally had enough. I can't play more than 5 songs in a row without it needing a restart and I can't even wipe the drive with the firmware updater. :(

Lasted longer than most friends iPods, so I guess it has served me well.

burnsy

Car(s)
2011 Ford F150 Platinum
Hi all,
I'm looking for some advice and recommendations on hard drive enclosures. I'm looking for an enclosure that fulfills the following:

1. SSD compatible
  2. SATA II & III compatible
  3. USB 3.0 compatible and USB 2.0 backwards compatible.
I have a OCZ Agility 1 currently that's very soon to die, so I'm going to use that in the enclosure until it does, then replace it. Are there any enclosures that the forum community members most recommend that can fulfill the above criteria? Thanks.

Last edited:

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'19 BMW M240i
SATA II compatibility is obligatory if you have SATA III compatibility.
USB2 compatibility is obligatory if you have USB3 compatibility.
A dieing SSD does not need anything other than power and SATA.

Hence you should be fine with any USB3 SATA3 enclosure.

burnsy

Car(s)
2011 Ford F150 Platinum
SATA II compatibility is obligatory if you have SATA III compatibility.
USB2 compatibility is obligatory if you have USB3 compatibility.
A dieing SSD does not need anything other than power and SATA.

Hence you should be fine with any USB3 SATA3 enclosure.
Aye, all true, didn't really think that through as much as I should have. Probably need to add another criteria, usb enclosure that's powered by just the USB.

As such, are there any specific ones that people prefer?

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
Seems like my NAS drive has used up its second life, it's struggling to play videos and just copying files using teracopy is very slow. Strangely copying files using windows explorer works fine and is actually quite quick.

maxtortheone

Chicken Fiddler
Car(s)
2006 Renault Clio 1.4 16V
i5 2500k with stock cooler doesn't really work with 30+ ?C ambient temperatures. Actually, I just measured the temp on the case with it off and it was ~35?C. That translates to 40+ idle temps, so I'm not happy with that. With that said, I'm getting one of these as fast as I can

I've never replaced a CPU cooler in my life so I have to clean the paste off. I'm guessing isopropyl and some sort of soft cloth?

eizbaer

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Seat Leon
I've never replaced a CPU cooler in my life so I have to clean the paste off. I'm guessing isopropyl and some sort of soft cloth?
since its a rather recent CPU i dont think the paste will have had the time to get properly nasty... so i think you probably wont even need your isopropy-something. so far i've always been fine with just cloth...

Strelok16

Car(s)
'69 Mustang project, '92 Buick Retiree-gal
I've heard its best to use some rubbing alcohol on it in any case, just to be sure you get all the old paste off, as well as any other crap that might be on there. You really don't want anything interfering with your cooling.

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'17 Mazda MX-5 RF, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
Rubbing alcohol works fine, the surface isn't particularly delicate. I just use a paper towel.