Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Dang. My Dad's not exactly smartphone savvy "there's Wi-Fi on this?" but seems to do just fine with it....beside's the battery life. It's just woefully, unacceptably, bad. My phone's able to last a day and a half with moderate use, that's with it overclocked and undervolted.

I will agree that the Galaxy S was flawed from the start. Rooted and with RFS removed, it's a screamer of a phone, however most people expect a great device out of the box, as it should be.

I've had the touchscreen issue with the "incoming call" screen but that's because I'm running custom rom's and stuff. I never experienced it on my phone running stock Android that was pushed to the device. I should note that, on MIUI, I haven't had this issue so far...but i'm having other issues like the phone losing responsiveness overtime that has never occurred on another rom. It's a shame because this ROM is one of the smoothest, most refined Android experiences I've used. Sure it's iOSesque if you dont theme it, but you really feel like the details have truly been sweated, from the widget adding process, to the kinetic scrolling.
I guess YMMV :) I like the Galaxy S hardware, it feels very nice and solid and the screen is good, also its slightly larger than the my iP4 so I get more real estate but all the weird issues really do ruin it. Decent battery life though :)

Galaxy S II isn't out yet on carriers (so frustrating...) , but thus far is getting rave reviews. It also supports the most Exchange policies of any Android phone IIRC. I will say that Samsung's decision to use RFS on the first Galaxy S was idiotic at best. The stuttery laggy mess that caused pretty much ensured that my stepmom won't buy another samsung.

My uncle has a Galaxy S and it was laggy as fuck to use. IIRC there's a GS2 coming out soon with an NFC chip, so that might explain the hold up on carrier release.

Galaxy S is a powerful phone that was fucked over by shitty software. Custom ROMs turn it into a wholly different device. The GS2 seems to have fixed pretty much every problem the first one had,

Something weird happened, so I was trying to 'buy my wife a present' which I use Chrome for. As soon as the site loaded, my internet died. Running at slower than 56k.

I'm using wifi, tried repairing and immediatly BSOD. Restarted PC, all is well until I try to buy a present, this time I tried Firefox and the same thing happened.
Netmeter was showing no bandwidth in or out. Nothing in task manager.

I haven't tried a third time, and everythings fine.

Last edited:
Get your giant strap-on somewhere else. That site is full of bees.

The ToughBook I just acquired has a touch-screen, and ever since I got it I have to stop myself from poking at the screens of other laptops. The touchscreen completely destroys the colors of the screen, and it gets totally smudgy, but I'm 100% sold on it.

The ToughBook I just acquired has a touch-screen, and ever since I got it I have to stop myself from poking at the screens of other laptops. The touchscreen completely destroys the colors of the screen, and it gets totally smudgy, but I'm 100% sold on it.

The colors are fine on my tablet so I think this is something that has been corrected with newer technology, but I agree that in most cases on a mobile device, touch screen is superior. I would love a pen though for those times when just a little more accuracy is needed. But there will always be the problem of blocking the screen with your own damn hand.... I'm interested to see how the back-touch on the PSVita works out.

The colors are fine on my tablet so I think this is something that has been corrected with newer technology, but I agree that in most cases on a mobile device, touch screen is superior. I would love a pen though for those times when just a little more accuracy is needed.

Yeah, from what I've heard, the color problems have been fixed in modern touchscreens. Mine is about a decade old.

Mine is a resistive touch screen, so I can use the back of a pen, or just about any other object as a stylus.

Yeah, from what I've heard, the color problems have been fixed in modern touchscreens. Mine is about a decade old.

Mine is a resistive touch screen, so I can use the back of a pen, or just about any other object as a stylus.

Ah, should have guessed... that's probably also what kills the color. Someone come up with a proper capacitive stylus already!

Anyone have experience with these? Just about the narrowest tip I could find.

http://www.amazon.com/Newest-Genera...86P6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1310664983&sr=8-5

Galaxy S is a powerful phone that was fucked over by shitty software. Custom ROMs turn it into a wholly different device. The GS2 seems to have fixed pretty much every problem the first one had,
Or non-TouchWIZ even. My Nexus S flys compared to coworkers and family members Galaxy S phones.

Netflix app went live on the Nintendo Shop for the 3DS today apparently.

Interesting. Too bad I don't have Netflix or else I'd be more excited.

In about one month my NOD32 licence runs out. I'm a little short on money so I'm not sure if I can afford to renew it. This leads me to consider scrapping NOD32 and going with MSE instead. Good idea or bad idea?

Good idea, as long as your windows is genuine, MSE doesn't work with invalid ones :)

MSE works fine on non-legit installs, you just have to use an authenticator.

^^ good job mine is perfectly legit.

URL]

Wasn't sure if I should put it in here or the Automotive ones but it's tech even though it's in a car so...
Today I have learned how to watch Netflix (and any other video app that has TV out functionality) on my GPS/Headunit through my phone :D

Same reason it would cost me more to get a Core 2 Quad than a new i5.... supply and demand.