Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Excuse my critisism, but that tablet is fricking thick as hell. Or it atleast looks like it.

Quite thick and heavy, yes. Especially compared to an iPad or similar.

It's thicker because it's a Windows tablet. It still looks very nice though: the only thing that seems to come close to it in terms of windowed multitasking is the Galaxy Tab 10.1 with the Mini Apps or whatever...

I have to disagree, it looks extremely bland, styling is nonexistent. Has a couple really stupid design choices too, like the USB ports on the bottom. But it's the best option for me :)

The only other similar device I know of is the Samsung Slider 7 (multitouch Windows slate-style tablet in the $600 price range), but that wins the thickness award for permanently being attached to the keyboard. On mine the keyboard attachment is separate and with it attached and closed, it's about the normal thickness of a netbook. It's just that the screen is the thicker side rather than the base.

Anyone know joysticks? I think my only option is a Saitek X52 Pro, which I already know is awesome because my brother has one. I need a good joystick, but I need a twist axis because I'm not hardcore enough to care about rudder pedals. There are other joysticks that are slick as a brick, but don't have the twist, and every other joystick with twist seems to be in the cheap as a sheep category. Any Saiteks cheaper than the x52 pro are supposedly seriously inferior (everyone says the non-pro with its one spring and plastic plate sucks), cheap thrustmasters are cheap, lol cheap logitechs no thanks been there already. I dunno, with the restriction of needing a twisty stick and wanting something good I don't see any other options.

Last edited:
Anyone know joysticks? I think my only option is a Saitek X52 Pro, which I already know is awesome because my brother has one. I need a good joystick, but I need a twist axis because I'm not hardcore enough to care about rudder pedals. There are other joysticks that are slick as a brick, but don't have the twist, and every other joystick with twist seems to be in the cheap as a sheep category. Any Saiteks cheaper than the x52 pro are supposedly seriously inferior (everyone says the non-pro with its one spring and plastic plate sucks), cheap thrustmasters are cheap, lol cheap logitechs no thanks been there already. I dunno, with the restriction of needing a twisty stick and wanting something good I don't see any other options.
I bit the bullet and got a cheap Logitech, Extreme 3D to be specific. There really isn't any middle ground in joysticks anymore. If Microsoft brought back the original Sidewinder 3D Pro, I'd be all over that, but that's not to be.

I think my old gameport Sidewinder 3D Pro is still kicking around the basement somewhere. Never understood why gameports were part of the sound card. That thing was great. Sure it had to be recalibrated after a while of not being used, but it always centered perfectly and it was solid. MS used to make great hardware, but then they came out with the xbox and give up on PC hardware. Used that bad boy in DOS, Wing Commander and Privateer and Tie Fighter and Chuck Yeager and Red Baron and oh my god I never realised how old those games were.

Bah, there's a bunch of budget sticks advertised as working great for HAWX and crap like that, stupid arcade flying games made to be played with controllers. Auto aim flying, alright!

Gameports were originally made to be MIDI interfaces; the joystick/gamepad support was a side effect. Back then the 4 button/4 axis limitation didn't matter, but by the time of Mechwarrior 2 and TIE Fighter I had to branch out to joysticks and throttles with keyboard emulation (Suncom F-15E Talon and CH [non-pro] Throttle). I use my joystick for Freespace 2 only, but that game is worth it. $6 for the license and a metric truckload of free graphics and engine upgrades and well-crafted fan campaigns, so my need for realism is lower than that of any flight sim pilot. All I want is for my joystick not to break or make horrible creaking noises, as my old Saitek did with its spring and ring mechanism.

What is the best way to view this forum through an iPhone? I don't want to pay for any application.

I just use Safari and then I click 'Full version' or whatever it says on the bottom of the forums.

What is the best way to view this forum through an iPhone? I don't want to pay for any application.
I believe Read Only Tapatalk is free, you only gotta pay if you wanna respond. That said Safari seems to work very well with the forum.

I went to it once and it looked rather bad in the browser. I'll try the full version thing when I have the chance. Thanks guys.

Lenovo said:
Last Location:
Departed - Shanghai, China, Friday, 08/05/2011

My new Thinkpad is on it's way over from China. @_@

So it'll be delivered probably on the 13th or so. Depending on if people are around at my other house.

Found a use for Apple's Facetime :) So I have a Mac and an iPhone 4, both have Facetime, which I never really use but today it came in handy. I had to run a network cable from the office to the TV area and I make my own cables so obviously once it was ran it had to be tested. However the terminals are too far apart to simply see them and I have a fairly basic tester that just has a little dongle you hook up to the other side that lights up for each wire with a number and so does the "main" part. As my fiancee was otherwise engaged (doing school work) rather than bother her I made a Facetime call from the phone to the laptop, set the phone so that I could see the dongle on the screen and ran my tests :D

I did something like that with my PowerMac G4. I plugged in my mini dv camera, opened iMovie and switched it to camera. I could then remote into the computer from my laptop and have a getto security system. I once did the same thing when I had an iMac with built in iSight.

I did something like that with my PowerMac G4. I plugged in my mini dv camera, opened iMovie and switched it to camera. I could then remote into the computer from my laptop and have a getto security system. I once did the same thing when I had an iMac with built in iSight.
Hehe nice :)

I love the shuffle/Wii remote comparison. Hey, I've got an idea! What if they designed it after a remote? Maybe that's why they call it a remote.

Macintosh II looks like a NES. If you squint. It's grey.

Also, "1 month later"?
Sure, you design a new DS in one month.

How was someone stupid enough to think this, and how are over 6,000 people stupid enough to agree?

Apple clearly was the first ones who ever made translucent colored things, squares, rectangles, laptops, and tablets. :roll:

You have to remember, if you are an Apple fanboy you have to accept that Apple invented EVERYTHING that has every been worth owning. :p

My favourite is the Macbook vs DS Lite... HOLY SHIT THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SA... Oh no wait, they aren't similar at all...

How was someone stupid enough to think this, and how are over 6,000 people stupid enough to agree?

Apple clearly was the first ones who ever made translucent colored things, squares, rectangles, laptops, and tablets. :roll:
About the only one that you could even remotely claim is mini vs gaycube (not that I agree that one stole design of the other but at least they look very similar).

You have to remember, if you are an Apple fanboy you have to accept that Apple invented EVERYTHING that has every been worth owning.
Don't forget that Apple were the first ones to come up with the color white...
My favourite is the Macbook vs DS Lite... HOLY SHIT THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SA... Oh no wait, they aren't similar at all...
Dude they BOTH open up like a clamshell (like literally every single "laptop" since the 386 days), clearly it was stolen! The iPad one is hilarious as well, OMG THEY BOTH HAVE A SCREEN AND YOU CAN HOLD THEM!!!!!