Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

It'll never have the class or elegance of a dancing flower.

I want one when it ships with a case and a power supply. One interesting thing about production of Rasperry pi.

Yeah, how much is the cased up version going to be?

Yeah, how much is the cased up version going to be?

i believe the first batch(es) will not contain case, since the pc is mostly designed for bulk buyers for "learn-to-code for schoolkids" kinda enviroment (thats why it also has the gpio -"connector" for directly controlling stepmotors etc).

check their forum for insane cases people have designed (inc. one made of lego [maybe with "order these" parts list]).

as for the psu, (idea) it was designed to be powerd from usb-port.

So I'm thinking of buying a 50" TV and using it partly as a computer screen too so I could browse the web and play games on my sofa. I have been looking at one of the cheapest LG FullHD plasmas, 50PV350, as I don't need any fancy features.

I have been thinking though that how will todays plasma screens work with computer gaming and internet browsing. Do they still have image burning problems? Should I just buy an LCD screen and pay a little more?

Last edited:
macbookpro-review-05-top.jpg

One day I shall own you...

I have a question about Acrobat Reader X.

In grad school we read quite a lot of PDF's. I see my colleagues with Macs underlining paragraphs and sentences on all their PDF's (red underlining).

I have searched, and searched, and can't find this option on the PC version. There is a yellow highlight tool, but it doesn't work on all PDF's (a lot of the stuff we used is scanned from a book, and if the letters are at a slight angle, Acrobat doesn't see them as text but just as an image).

Am I missing something? Is this a function available in the full (paid) Acrobat?

I have a question about Acrobat Reader X.

In grad school we read quite a lot of PDF's. I see my colleagues with Macs underlining paragraphs and sentences on all their PDF's (red underlining).

I have searched, and searched, and can't find this option on the PC version. There is a yellow highlight tool, but it doesn't work on all PDF's (a lot of the stuff we used is scanned from a book, and if the letters are at a slight angle, Acrobat doesn't see them as text but just as an image).

Am I missing something? Is this a function available in the full (paid) Acrobat?
Are you sure they are using Acrobat? Apple's Preview is fairly powerful so they could be using that, paid version does have some extra options you could take a look at 3rd party PDF readers, they might have stuff like that. Sumatra comes to mind.

Interesting... I will look into it. Thanks.

Foxit is another popular third-party reader with some kind of annotation ability, but I haven't messed with it much myself.

Another vote for Foxit.

I use foxit at work for reading, but someone I work with tried it and found Adobe to be easier/better for creating and editing.

Thanks guys. I tried Foxit and underlining (drawing lines) works fine. Not brilliantly but it's still something.

I tried to use Foxit ages ago but it would do some stupid things like not respond to hyperlinks or pop up a UAC prompt when launched.

Foxit is a little hit and miss, even though I use it.

Mine currently has no skin, so all of the buttons are invisible. The error message says I need to reinstall but I just memorized the invisible buttons....

*sigh*

My 6970s aren't playing nice. My PC had been bluescreening (ATI driver) occasionally, but last night it just flat refused to boot (no video). Had to take my #2 6970 out, and now it boots fine. I really hope I can get them to play nicely together again....

I know it's not really fair to blame all video card problems on chipset manufactures, but I have had far more trouble with ATI video cards than Nvidia.

I'm fairly sure this was down to some combination of Crossfire and drivers. From my experience, my friends with SLI have had pretty much exactly the same issues I have had with Crossfire. (one friend with SLI 460s, one with SLI 560TIs.)