Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Yes, that should work. Alternatively you could use this.

Yeah, I saw that before, but don't you think the box unit would be more durable than the cables?

Don't know about that, but you could get away with one less connection.
But it really doesn't matter which one to get.

Why do I suddenly have this urge to blow 40 euros on a Noreve leather case???

[This post is to concerve topic spaces in this forum!]

well 20.12.2009 i finally changed my netline from 8/1 (that was slow dropping to 4/1.

Before 20.12.1009:
643712527.png

so i got from the same isp Elisa viihde:
04122009378+%28Small%29.jpg

The line is now 24/1 (read 8/1):
647758848.png

the specs:
- adsl2+ 24/1 (they provide min 8/1).
- 9 more tvchannels (via ip-tv) than DVB-t (eurosport, travelchanel, DW, MTV etc).
- DVB recorder that works in my isp, and has enought spce for 2500 hours of recorded tv (records 15 channels that are aired, not from the ip-tv).
- lower price (39 eur/monht) than before (44 eur/monht).
- video-on-demand, no more walking into the shop and rent them. \o/
- f-secure internet security 24monht for 3 computers.

The package contained:
- DVB-T/C -box with hdmi
04122009396+%28Small%29.jpg

04122009397+%28Small%29.jpg

from left to right: power, lan, audio out x2, 2x scart, hdmi, ant-in and ant-out.

04122009398+%28Small%29.jpg

oh and it even has usb-port for usb memory (fat32, ext2/3), and no that smartcard-reader doesn't work :p

- some popcorn for movie night (+ 1 free video rent).
04122009386+%28Small%29.jpg

- 2 gb usb-memory that has the f-secure installation file (70Mb :p ).
04122009393+%28Small%29.jpg

-the Adsl2+ modem.
04122009404+%28Small%29.jpg

04122009407+%28Small%29.jpg

with basic ports: 2x rj-11 (not implemented to this software :p, so no voip!), adsl-line-in, 4x10/100 Mbit ports, usb(3) for some weird usb based connection the internet (no connected to internal network), power switch, "power", usb(1) [and 2 on the right side] for connecting usb-memory/hardrives or printers to share homenetwork.

- and the "quick start guide".
04122009387+%28Small%29.jpg

04122009391+%28Small%29.jpg

USAGE:
- the tv-channels don't use much bandwidht so i can download my files, thought the tv and recorded programs don't like me to share tg over 50kb/s (i hear no sound, but the video plays).
- i haven't look the video-on-demand option, but i think its the same experience.
- i even watched 1 tg from usb-stick, and i prefer my laptop's screen to that.
- tv-recordings can be seen from the web-page, and i still prefer them to play throught the tv (that is 32" crt sony, so no hdmi). The web-player needs vlc-plugin to be installed it to work.
- i can play l4d2multiplayer, seed tg and mom is able to watch her recordings at the same time (no lag for her, 220ping for me :p ).
- the DVB-T/C -box isn't designed for channelsurfers, as it changes channels in 2-3secs (both DVB-t and ip-tv -channels).
- with 36hour always recording, i can record many forgotten tv-shows after they have been aired! thanks for this awsome service.

more when i test the vod-service/they do update.

Last edited:
One word of warning though, I heard a lot of horror stories about Photoshop CS3/4 and Snow Leopard.

I plan to run Photoshop, Lightroom, and InDesign a lot; care to elaborate?

cs3 is running fine on mine.

I thought formatting it does remove everything beyond recovery, whereas deleting them only removes them from the registry. But I may be wrong.

Last edited:
I plan to run Photoshop, Lightroom, and InDesign a lot; care to elaborate?

A lot of the problems I heard where after an upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard and CS4, some of our customers have complained about general slowness of Photoshop causing a massive slowdown of the rest of the computer and some errors/crashes from time to time.

All of these problems, as I just discovered, seem to be fixed by the Mac OS X 10.6.2 update from a few weeks ago, so you should be fine :)

I thought formatting it does remove everything beyond recovery, whereas deleting them only removes them from the registry. But I may be wrong.

It depends, basic formatting just tells to the filesystem that there is not data on the drive, but does not physically remove anything. Old data will be erased after, when you start writing other stuff on the drive so you may still have a chance to recover files if you don't use the drive at all before trying recovery software.
Other kind of formatting will put 0s all over the drive, once or many times to ensure everything is physically erased and no-one can find anything while attempting recovery.

Quick question - my iPod Touch drops its WiFi every time it locks after 10-15 minutes. Is there a way to make the WiFi on all the time, even when the iPod locks itself?

No you don't, the "for Windows" package implies that it comes with the wireless receiver. It makes me a bit nervous that it is not specifically mentioned, but that's how it worked out with mine.