Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I've had good luck with Samsung and Sony.

Only had Acer so far. 6 years on still going strong. Screen broke entirely due to my own fault, but other than that it's been flawless. And this is a (then) 300? netbook

And I have an Acer which I used for little over 1 and a half years and have a keyboard issue (Some keys doesn't work sometimes) It's all about the luck. :(

Apparently that last bit isn't accurate, they only did it when the cable was plugged in. It turns out that the cable is faulty, the original one that came with the speakers. The speakers are fine though, thankfully, here's to 7 more years of great service from them! :beer:

Wrong again. The crackling came back and is now worse than ever, to the point where it's annoying to just have them turned on. I think they're about finished, time to get a set of T40 SIIs. I wonder if the speakers will fit inside the Discovery...

I have a Vaio Z now which has been alright, but I wouldn't buy a Sony again as the PC division has been sold.

To who?

hmmm... from a brand new (to me) laptop to hard drivery issues on the desktop :think:
Current Lacie external drive is behaving erratically, sometimes taking minutes to open a folder, sometimes not
The really annoying thing is that it kinda disconnects itself and then immediately reconnects itself, meaning my files I was copying/downloading get messed up...

Scans reveals nothing... is it dying? It is 4 yrs old though, which may be a lot for an external drive.

It does have hundreds of thousands of small files on it, (MP3s and pictures mostly), but they're all in different folders (by album for the music and by month for pictures) so that doesn't explain the slow browsing...

I've changed the USB cable, aswell as tried a different port in the desktop, but it still seems to be happening (albeit less frequent)... Any idea what it could be, FG Hive mind?

Also, what brand do I get for a replacement? Currently looking at 3TB drives for ridiculous money (125? is less than what I paid for 1Tb a while back)
Current favourites are WD Elements Desktop 3 and Seagate Expansion Desktop 3. I've used Seagate before and it broke immediately, got a new one under warranty and that one still works 7 years down the line. Dunno about WD though, it's slightly more expensive and I don't really see why.

Biggest problem : old desktop and USB2 instead of 3. I suppose that I could get some sort of adapter thingy too?

One difference between a 25? bluetooth speaker and a 199? one is that the 199? one probably doesn't have a badly designed power button.

My 25? one sounds perfectly good enough for my needs and I won't cry if I drop it in the sea or something one day. The problem is that it turns on when it's being bumped around in the laptop backpack and then starts crying for electricity after a day or two. Took me a while to figure out wtf the sound was the first time it happened.

T440s is here....

Such a perfect little ultrabook.

I have a Philips wireless headphones on their original batteries, and recently they've started blinking which I assume indicates it wants me to replace the batteries. So I bought new AAA rechargables and surprisingly the charge light won't come on. Originals are 500 mah and new ones are 750. Confused I assume the IKEA replacements are out of spec somehow vs the original Philips. So I buy "better" batteries (GP) with a capacity matching the originals and they still won't work.

I now notice a sticker inside saying ONLY USE PHILIPS <partnr> BATTERIES. After searching high and low I find said batteries, 12 GBP EACH. :lol:
Now I also find out why the replacements don't work. There are two additional prongs mounted sideways in the battery compartments, contacting an area on the side of the batteries where the original Philips batteries do not have any plastic wrapping. As we know all normal batteries are wrapped except for the terminals in either end. I remove the plastic foil on my GP batteries in the same location and now they charge fine.

Sneaky Philips! :shakefist:

Last edited:
That's devious!

Well... It's likely a liability issue. They cannot guarantee that some random off brand rechargeable that you buy from a store won't blow up in your headphones because they get overcharged. So rather than go through the trouble of a law suit that even if they do win will cost them money on their overpriced lawyers they just take steps to make sure that only stuff that they can QA and approve will work.

Originals are 500 mah and new ones are 750. Confused I assume the IKEA replacements are out of spec somehow vs the original Philips. So I buy "better" batteries (GP) with a capacity matching the originals and they still won't work.

mAh is only a measurement of how much electricity you can store in the battery. Higher equals better.

I've switched to IKEA batteries, trying to assess how intelligent the charging station is... I read the GP box wrong too, they're actually even higher capacity (min. 800) and 2nd generation (low self discharge), feels a bit wasteful using them in an application where the batteries are charged several times a day... Think I'll put them in my bike lights.