Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Did not work for me, as soon as I add that registry entry I get an error that the system cannot find the specified file any time I try to open Photoshop. Seems from the comments that lots of others have the same issue, even after trying other suggestions in the comments.

For reference, here's the tiny 4K UI:

Still usable if you're sitting close and can see the icons, but not friendly to use regardless.

Could you take a screenshot of the CameraRAW window for me too? Thats where i do most of my photo editing, just curious what that looks like. Thanks.

Could you take a screenshot of the CameraRAW window for me too? Thats where i do most of my photo editing, just curious what that looks like. Thanks.

No sorry, I don't use it so I don't have it installed. :(

Heh, that Photoshop fix worked for me with CC 2014. You did download the manifest file and drop it in Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC right? It's too big now though (same scaling as 1080p) so I'll see if I can tweak it.

Edit: It's following the Windows scaling alright but is a little bigger than the scaling would suggest. 150% on a 3840x2160 res gave me the equivalent of Photoshop at 1080p. 125% looks fine but I need to see if I can live with that for the rest of the machine.

Last edited:
No sorry, I don't use it so I don't have it installed. :(

But if you have PS6 you also have CameraRAW, or you should. Go to Edit->Preferences->CameraRAW and enable it when you open JPEGs, second to last option. Then when you open an image it opens in CameraRAW first.

But if you have PS6 you also have CameraRAW, or you should. Go to Edit->Preferences->CameraRAW and enable it when you open JPEGs, second to last option. Then when you open an image it opens in CameraRAW first.

This?

Like I said, I don't use it, so no idea if that's what you meant. Also of note, trying that fix killed out the Photoshop icon as seen in the taskbar.

EDIT: Also

You did download the manifest file and drop it in Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC right?

I have CS6 not CC, but yes, I followed directions. No Worky.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for reliable, silent 40mm fans? I want to replace the noisy sleeve bearing fans on my 3D printer. :)

Any recommendations for reliable, silent 40mm fans? I want to replace the noisy sleeve bearing fans on my 3D printer. :)

After cooking 6-8 ports of my 48-port switch, I'd strongly advise against it. silent fans imply lower airflow/pressure, which leads to higher temperatures, or even straight overheating...

So many fanboys.... J/k...
Can't you move the printer to a different room?

So many fanboys.... J/k...
Can't you move the printer to a different room?

Nah, it has to live there. Silent isn't the goal here, I just need to replace the cheap Chinese fans it has with good ball bearing ones and thought that I may as well cut down the noise while I'm at it.

The current fans helpfully have no label so I have no idea what the current rating is. In this case they just cool the extruder, I will be replacing the noisy power supply fan but that is labelled.

Nah, it has to live there. Silent isn't the goal here, I just need to replace the cheap Chinese fans it has with good ball bearing ones and thought that I may as well cut down the noise while I'm at it.

The current fans helpfully have no label so I have no idea what the current rating is. In this case they just cool the extruder, I will be replacing the noisy power supply fan but that is labelled.

Find some Sunon maglevs off ebay then. They're the quietest with the nicest tone at that level of performance, as I found out when I replaced 5 Delta-built ones with em in my switch. If your fans are only 10mm thick, you'll want the 6000rpm ones as I recall, if they're 20mm thick, you want 8200rpm, if they're 28mm, you'll want the 13k rpm ones (those are ear-piercingly loud), and if you somehow are using the monster counter-rotating 56mm thick ones, just give up and abandon all hope.. only competent manufacturers make those at all. You'll probably find that they're using the 10mm or 20mm (most likely) thick fans in your 3d printer. I'd give you actual part numbers, but I lost my brochure/datasheet with them some time ago :(.

Find some Sunon maglevs off ebay then. They're the quietest with the nicest tone at that level of performance, as I found out when I replaced 5 Delta-built ones with em in my switch. If your fans are only 10mm thick, you'll want the 6000rpm ones as I recall, if they're 20mm thick, you want 8200rpm, if they're 28mm, you'll want the 13k rpm ones (those are ear-piercingly loud), and if you somehow are using the monster counter-rotating 56mm thick ones, just give up and abandon all hope.. only competent manufacturers make those at all. You'll probably find that they're using the 10mm or 20mm (most likely) thick fans in your 3d printer. I'd give you actual part numbers, but I lost my brochure/datasheet with them some time ago :(.

Thanks, they are just 10mm ones. I will have a look.

How does that get enough power? Do you have to overvolt it just to run the lightshow?