Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I don't want to use it to just charge things. I want and need it more for the data exchange. A pair would do, but four is better.

The case should still have more USB ports. Hell, even the motherboard should.

Ugh...my CPU cooler won't be shipping until at least the middle of next month, but I've got ALL of the other parts. Damnit. I've got a 6600K and a 950 Pro m.2 drive just aching to be used and abused. I could just pick up an air cooler, but there's always that chance that i'll need to remove the motherboard to change cooler, and that's more of a pain than I'm willing to endure.

Last edited:
The toys must be used!

I am in the process of planning a PC build and would like some advice on motherboard manufacturers. I am planning an I5 6600k and probably a Z170 board, but who has the best bang for the buck? Anyone that should flat out be avoided?

Still looking for a case that I like. There are several that look good, but I also need it to be usable. I have all but given up on the USB ports being where I want them.

I have also fallen in love with the Corsair ML fans. I am hoping that Corsair will announce an RGB version like the HD fans at CES. The HD fans look great. I just want the neato factor of the magnetic bearing to go along with the looks.

You can't go wrong with MSI's lineup. Pick the cheapest one with the features you need (Z170 chipset for overclocking, I am not sure about your I/O need.)

My sister just got an Asus Zenbook UX305UA a month ago. Been fine until a couple of days ago when it decided that it's forgotten a trackpad exists. Device Manager doesn't show it, it's not coming up as an unknown device and, reinstalling the ELAN drivers and Asus Multitouch software/drivers aren't helping. I even tried Synaptics as a last ditch effort. It's as if the trackpad has become unplugged. First step was toggling the trackpad on off function key to make sure it wasn't that. At the moment she's using a USB mouse to finish school for the semester. Once that's finished, I'll backup her stuff and reinstall Windows in hopes that brings it back. If not, I guess I need to send it back to Asus. Meanwhile, my HP branded laptop that so many people give me shit for(most people find HP's laptops unreliable and shitty) functions flawlessly, even after being dropped on my driveway.

I've never had a trackpad just not work like that, they're usually one of the most reliable parts of the machine. Windows didn't have an update over the past few days to my knowledge that the update history reflects that so, I'm lost.

Last edited:
I am in the process of planning a PC build and would like some advice on motherboard manufacturers. I am planning an I5 6600k and probably a Z170 board, but who has the best bang for the buck? Anyone that should flat out be avoided?

Still looking for a case that I like. There are several that look good, but I also need it to be usable. I have all but given up on the USB ports being where I want them.

I have also fallen in love with the Corsair ML fans. I am hoping that Corsair will announce an RGB version like the HD fans at CES. The HD fans look great. I just want the neato factor of the magnetic bearing to go along with the looks.

I followed the buildapcsales subreddit for a while and found some amazing deals...of course I was shopping just before black Friday, so I had that going for me...

I went 6600k, and MSI GTX1070 video card with a z170 board from MSI...but I was also shopping specifically for black/ red/ white components, do I can't say I would have ended up with them otherwise, or not.

Last edited:

Both MSI and ASUS make solid motherboards.

The cable may very well have come unplugged internally.

This was my first thought - it may be worth taking it apart to find out if it's not under warranty/he feels like exploring it.

I followed the buildapcsales subreddit for a while and found some amazing deals...of course I was shopping just before black Friday, so I had that going for me...

I went 6600k, and MSI GTX1070 video card with a z170 board from MSI...but I was also shopping specifically for black/ red/ white components, do I can't say I would have ended up with them otherwise, or not.

I tried shopping before black Friday, but a family emergency basically Made it impossible. The one deal I did get was the SSD that you posted. I will have to try the reddit thing out.

Asus and EVGA are my first recommendations. MSI is good, but I don't like its design for the most part. Gigabyte has had some issues with its higher end x99 boards, but are otherwise just as good. Asrock has some nice budget oriented options. I wouldn't look at anything else.

No idea what your budget is, but this is the board I'm using, with no issues so far (though the price has gone up since I bought mine; iirc, it was on sale at the time.)

No idea what your budget is, but this is the board I'm using, with no issues so far (though the price has gone up since I bought mine; iirc, it was on sale at the time.)

I wanted two M.2 slots, so I got the cheaper MSI M5 as it suited all my connectivity needs. The upgrade M7 is much more expensive, but doesn't add much, and what it did, I didn't need. I haven't actually used it yet because I'm waiting on a CPU cooler, so i can't vouch for it's actual performance/useability.

They got the product to market, turned out it wasn't profitable enough to stay running, closed up shop. *shrugs*

What's the alternative? "Oops, sorry...turns out it's way more expensive then we thought...you still want your stuff you already paid for? You'll have to give us a bunch more money."

Everyone who didn't get anything yet are getting refunds. Besides the possibility of earning interest on the money paid, it's not much of a hardship and everyone is being "made whole", from what i can tell.

As for the existing devices, well, that's a bit trickier for sure. Only time will tell. They said they are doing work to make the devices not as reliant on "the cloud".

I got a kick out of reading the kickstarter comments from everyone who is threatening to sue if they don't get fully-refunded by the end of the week.

They got the product to market, turned out it wasn't profitable enough to stay running, closed up shop. *shrugs*

Considering that it was their second succesfull kickstarter they should have know how much it would cost to produce them.
This is either bad management or something more fishy that can't see the light of day.

Everyone who didn't get anything yet are getting refunds. Besides the possibility of earning interest on the money paid, it's not much of a hardship and everyone is being "made whole", from what i can tell.

Only those who paid in dollares. Other currencies will be converted to 'today' exchange rate. So you're either making a small profit or a small loss.

Last edited: