Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Comcast did the opposite to me. Slower for more money. That was the final straw that made me switch ISPs.

That sucks. I used to have somewhat similar ISP - always lagging behind a couple of years in regards to the real world bandwidth that everybody else got, and of course they were still charging full price and would not have switched to a higher bandwidth for free in a million years.

The funny thing is, my previous ISP was a rather big company and my current ISP only supplies a couple of small towns, but so far their service has been great. I moved in on a Saturday, and on Monday the connection was already available and ready to be used (while I was expecting to have to use my mobile data for a several week long hotspot). Also at some point the ISP lost connection with whichever backbone they are using. So everybody was without internet for a day. And even though it wasn't the ISP's fault (at least that's what they claim) they gave everyone the whole month for free as a compensation. And it's not like people were complaining or threatening to go to court over a day of no connection.

When I was at a local ISP they upgraded me twice in the ~7 years I lived there, first from 10 to 30 Mbit/s for the same costs since they discontinued the 10 Mbit/s rate, then from 30 to 100 Mbit/s for less since they discontinued the 30 Mbit/s rate... :lol:

We've stuck with our ISP for a while...a while being like 12 years or so. they've upgraded me from 256k to 1M to 2M to 7M on the same price. Then the folks renegotiated and I got took down to 5M for half the cost.

I Experienced 100Mbps on our university once...I was beyond knowing what I could do, so I downloaded a .iso in a couple of minutes and was very happy for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
A church I frequently visit has a dedicated internet line that achieves 2 megabyte (yes, byte) that is dedicated to them and not shared. What's weird is that I can see other campus' computers and printers despite not having a VPN. I've never seen that before.

A church I frequently visit has a dedicated internet line that achieves 2 megabyte (yes, byte) that is dedicated to them and not shared. What's weird is that I can see other campus' computers and printers despite not having a VPN. I've never seen that before.

Means they are all on the same LAN

How would you do such a thing?

Last edited:
2 megabytes? as in 16 megabit? meh...

regarding the VPN: your machine doesnt have its own VPN running or there isn't one at all? there could also just be a network-wide VPN running on the router that you don't necessarily notice.

Well, that's what I measured while torrenting something. Who knows what it actually is because different routers are throttled at different speeds.

How would you do such a thing?

If it's a legit leased line it might be in a VLAN with the other campus. This is how multinational companies have their stuff set up, each office has some sort of a leased line connected to it and all of them are on the same virtual "network". These leased lines networks are not really part of regular internet (though they do have access to it) so there is usually not much of a need for dedicated VPN.
OTOH it could have a site to site VPN set up that you wouldn't know about since it's on the back end.

Well, I imagine it has something to do with the big headed pastor that has his dome streamed to each campus in 1080 format for the sermons.

And SharePoint isn't that great at it either you have to 'check out' and 'check in' files to modify them

Nope, they dropped that somewhere last year, at least if your SharePoint admin enabled it (iirc, not a SharePoint expert, I think it's a shitty, convoluted way of doing stuff).

Those of you with two monitors, where do you sit? I have a laptop powering two big screens. The laptop sits off to the (right) side and I basically just use it for Pandora. I sit in front of one monitor (the left most one) with the second monitor offset to the right a bit. I've tried moving to the middle of the two big ones but always find myself shifting back so I'm just facing the left one head on.

Those of you with two monitors, where do you sit? I have a laptop powering two big screens. The laptop sits off to the (right) side and I basically just use it for Pandora. I sit in front of one monitor (the left most one) with the second monitor offset to the right a bit. I've tried moving to the middle of the two big ones but always find myself shifting back so I'm just facing the left one head on.

I am mostly in front of one so like right of center. Essentially one monitor ends up being the "work" monitor while the other one is just to keep an eye on shit.

I have one in front of me and then another to its left for IRC/Music/Reference documents.

One is directly in front of me, and the other is off to my right, turned towards me. I have them both on a monitor arm setup, so i can pull it towards me and not loose the desk space under it.

My laptop is either closed in my dock, or when I'm using one monitor, it's generally behind the monitor. The difference in height, brightness, etc just throws me off.

Last edited:
I have my laptop open below the left screen, and I sit in front of it.

Laptop displays Outlook and our VoIP app, main working application is usually on the left screen, and right screen has Chrome open.

I was pretty happy to discover my work laptop supports two external monitors.... so three screens :cool:

But my personal PC has one monitor very much primary, which I sit in front of, and a small one off to the side that usually is for text communications. Similarly, my smallest monitor at work is used full time for email.

Laptop in front, secondary on the right.

I consider myself a centered person, so exactly ahead of me is the bezel where the 2 screens meet
fe81fdb03fc7d583b19db4e2bce53bca.jpg

I actually use both...

That would irritate me because you'll never get them to line up perfectly.