Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
95% certainty it's just lint. Take a toothpick and poke around in there, you'll be surprised how much fluff it collects from sitting in a pocket for a while. Don't worry, nothing in there can break from a wooden toothpick or similar instrument - use some force and get into the back corners properly. Lightning ports are notorious for this, I clean mine every 1-2 months and it's noticeable every time.
I did that, didn’t fix the issue. :(

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pid
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3, 90 Discovery 1, 05 Smart Roadster
I use a camera air blower or if you have access to an air line even better, just made sure it won't blow oil in there. Not that I ever have to blow out USB ports with these magnetic adapters I keep mentioning. I should damn well be on the payroll now.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
Yeah, my compressor has a drier on it so in theory, no moisture should get through. I can try blowing out the jack, but this is starting to feel similar to how my SE started to work toward the end of its life.

Tram13

My phone's gonna turn two years old tomorrow and the headphones I got with it got really, really silent. It's a pair of Huawei CW33 USB-C earbuds.

They used to be good when they were new, but now I can barely hear them on max volume while I'm in a train. I tried cleaning them with Q-tips, toothpicks and alcohol, but that didn't help. Therefore I think it's time for a new pair.

I've been looking into getting another pair of these, which can be done for some 10€, but I'm not sure about it. I did get a USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor with the phone as well, so I can use any headphones I want.

Is there any benefit of going for USB-C headphones over 3.5mm ones that I'd use with an adaptor? I know there's a benfit of the 3.5mm ones in sense that I can use them with other devices.

Ideally, I'd like something equally good or better sounding, equally portable (most of the time I'm using them I do so while on train) and with a microphone and an answering button.

Any inexpensive ideas?

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pid
DONOR
Car(s)
As far as I'm aware the USB-C connector just carries the analogue audio and passes it through the adapter, so any headphones that already have the connector are just cutting out the middle-man. The audio will still be the same.

I looked up the earbuds and I personally find that design awful so finding something better should be possible, I'll leave that to others as I've only deal with Bluetooth Sony headsets in the last 8 years or something. :p

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
Why are apps and cloud services made by "old" companies almost always complete crap?

For example, the Mitsubishi Electric split AC I just set up... well, the cloud part of it, anyway. The indoor unit has wi-fi and comes with an app that looks and behaves like it's in early beta. It does the job, but it could be so much better. It's as if the people in charge don't understand what "cloud" actually is, so they just give the project to the CEO's nephew to develop in a weekend with a budget of €5. According to wikipedia, Mitsubishi Electric has a yearly revenue of 14 billion USD.

At the same time I installed a surveillance camera by Ring, a fairly young company that just got bought by Amazon a while back. The app is well polished and stable and very easy to use. The hardware is excellent too, but that's beside the point.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
Why are apps and cloud services made by "old" companies almost always complete crap?

For example, the Mitsubishi Electric split AC I just set up... well, the cloud part of it, anyway. The indoor unit has wi-fi and comes with an app that looks and behaves like it's in early beta. It does the job, but it could be so much better. It's as if the people in charge don't understand what "cloud" actually is, so they just give the project to the CEO's nephew to develop in a weekend with a budget of €5. According to wikipedia, Mitsubishi Electric has a yearly revenue of 14 billion USD.

At the same time I installed a surveillance camera by Ring, a fairly young company that just got bought by Amazon a while back. The app is well polished and stable and very easy to use. The hardware is excellent too, but that's beside the point.
I think it comes down to who's willing to pay what, where these developers are going, and what the executives of each company want.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
So about that Ring camera...

Not an EU concern yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon is also shopping around that service on Europe
Its on an island, accessible by boat or snowmobile depending on season. The place has been in the family for four generations and nothing out of the ordinary has happened there ever. So I’m not too worried 😄

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pid
DONOR
Car(s)
Having a big session of synchronising my cloud photo storage for the old idea of storing things in multiple places, I find this really quite relaxing. Including required Mac VM for ordering albums on iCloud because they didn't bother to add this simple feature to the browser version.

Screenshot (177).png

Also I think I'm making good use of the unlimited photo storage that I get with Prime membership.

1590360908619.png

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pid
DONOR
Car(s)
Anyone know of a device that straight up amplifies the audio of an HDMI signal? The audio level of the Tivo box I have hooked up is pretty low for some reason and I've had enough of cranking the volume up every time I switch over to it.

Not looking for anything to extract the audio, just a little black box to amplify it and send it on its way. I can't find anything that does this, not even DIY kits.