Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo

I remember having a Harmony 555. That was back in the day when I had an AV receiver, an HTPC, an Apple TV and a digital TV receiver. My receiver didn't have enough HDMI inputs so I had to have a couple things wired with HDMI straight to the TV and run sound via optical to the receiver. Having a single remote that could power the entire mess up and switch everything to the correct inputs by pressing a simple software button marked "HTPC" was awesome. Especially since you could set up all of this in an (arguably terrible, but working) application on the Mac and then sync the settings over USB.

I don't have an AV receiver with a million inputs and pointless settings anymore, I have a soundbar that turns on and off with the TV and obeys volume commands from the TV remote. The TV has a built in HD PVR and apps for all the things I used to have several devices for. The need for a universal remote is completely gone. I guess I'm not alone here.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Left a bit, no right a bit, just there. England.
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
One of those devices that I've never personally had a use for but I liked knowing that it existed. I still have a bunch of remotes for old devices like my VHS recorders, CRT TV and vintage CD player so one of those would actually be more useful for me now than ever before. :LOL:

I still won't buy one.

jack_christie

Forum Addict
NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang’s Nvidia GTC keynote

So much stuff, probably a 1000 page press release to go with it. My head hurts.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
I'm tethering my laptop off of my phone and it decided to run updates from the App Store. An unknown number of gigs of new updates. My bandwidth widget peaked at 36MB/s. 5G is nice.

And I haven't even had my COVID shot yet.