Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Possible £££ solution:

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
98 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
I know. It's the "year of Linux on the desktop" of the GPU world. And my particular complaints are my fault entirely. it is especially egregious because I was recommending @Punisher Bass NOT to purchase an AMD GPU precisely because the drivers are dogshit at around the same time I was planning this build.

However, I got a 5600XT NIB for just over $240 (this is pre-shortage, they retailed for $289, IIRC). That one was a double whammy. Not only were the drivers shit, but I also had to get that particular one RMA'd A port decided to fail, and then it began showing small artifacts that evolved into full-blown "my screens are now abstract art" ones. Shipping from Honduras alone was like $200, let alone shipping it back. And, of course, now that I have it, I find out more and more that the drivers are utter bullshit.

I've had my 5700XT for closing in on a year now and have had zero issues with either the hardware or AMD's drivers. In fact the only time I ever had a problem with their drivers was well over a decade ago when I had my 5850, and it was cleared up with later updates.

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Facebook Marketplace win! It pays to be punctual...

I needed a stand for my monitor, because I lost the desk-edge clamp for my adjustable arm, and I'm not allowed to drill a hole in the desk top to use the grommet/bolt-through mount I was using on my old desk. I found someone online giving away a stand for free that matched my exact monitor model. I arrived when I promised I would, and we started talking about how annoying "Craigslist Flakes" are. He waited home all last night for someone who never came by to buy the actual monitor that was attached to this stand he had listed for free, assuming the monitor was sold. As he grabbed the screwdriver to remove it, he said, "You know what....this guy was gonna give me $40 for this monitor, but never came, and wasted my whole night. Want it for $20?" I said, "How 'bout $10? I don't actually need it, but would absolutely use it!" "Deal." he said. $10, for a like-new Dell U2412M 1920x1200 monitor. For my use-cases, dual-screen is much better than a single ultrawide, since nearly everything I do is multitasking, and not a single task spanning the full width.

So now I have a two-monitor setup. This is going to be so great for school! Have the lesson/teacher/lecture/reference material on one screen, while still being able to do whatever work or notetaking I need to do at the same time on the other screen.

Oh, who am I kidding...it'll have YouTube full-screened on the left, and the interwebs on the other.

Amusingly, I still need a stand for the other one so I don't have to hold it up using my woodworking clamps. Ha!

1626723762424.png

I do need to figure out how I can hang my PC under my desk, though, so i can get the speakers out from behind the monitor...and if only wireless printing wasn't so buggy so I wouldn't need it physically connected to my PC...

Last edited:

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
I've had my 5700XT for closing in on a year now and have had zero issues with either the hardware or AMD's drivers. In fact the only time I ever had a problem with their drivers was well over a decade ago when I had my 5850, and it was cleared up with later updates.

This is the story of my AMD ownership across two GPUs (And how I was received this morning)

1626799844660.png

The only tweaking I do is change the fan curve. The unexpected system failure was a crash. it is always a crash

So no. I shall be going team green for my next purchase...which will happen as soon as I get decent employment and are no longer in the throes of the worst shortage in my lifetime.

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
98 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
So no. I shall be going team green for my next purchase...which will happen as soon as I get decent employment and are no longer in the throes of the worst shortage in my lifetime.

I wasn't telling you to stick with AMD, simply that my experience this go around with team red has been fine. I'm sorry you got a lemon of a card and have had nothing but nightmares.

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
Oh, it didn't read that way at all! Sorry if I gave you that impression. Just adding more to my original statement. I've had other people mention their positive experience with their AMD cards. And, of course, I am running a 3600X on this rig and I have absolutely zero complaints about that one.

If my failures can be traced to hardware, it would mean I have gotten two consecutive defective GPUs. My original, and the RMA'd one. It would be unprecedented for me.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Left a bit, no right a bit, just there. England.
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
I'm definitely going team red with my next CPU, the Ryzen 9 5950X just crushes anything in that price range. Team blue would have to pull a big one out of their arse to sway me. The 6800XT is tempting as an RTX 3080 alternative but it's no more available.

Anyway the Netgear 5-port switch I bought a few weeks ago shit the bed during a work meeting this morning, any time it's connected to the network it takes the whole lot down. It's the main one that feeds the house, I swapped with the 1 year old equivalent from a year ago that handled a few things and all is well again, except I lose access to my cameras and the car loses Wi-Fi. These cheaper micro switches are annoying hit and miss.

Also I'm trying to deal with shoddy MSIs that call back to older versions of software that aren't installed and have no reference in the registry, a couple dozen machines have installations failing due to this and the removal section of the MSI is looking in different folders on each machine. I'd happily go through and re-populate the folders in advance if I knew what they would be! Grr.

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3
These cheaper micro switches are annoying hit and miss.
Well... thanks for playing the guinea pig for us in this regard :D Tells me to buy something reliable if maybe a little more expensive once we actually manage to move somewhere that's big and permanent enough to warrant a proper network*

*cries in wifi everything.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Left a bit, no right a bit, just there. England.
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
Well... thanks for playing the guinea pig for us in this regard :D Tells me to buy something reliable if maybe a little more expensive once we actually manage to move somewhere that's big and permanent enough to warrant a proper network*

*cries in wifi everything.
Well I apparently diagnosed it too soon. I didn't get time to do anything more earlier but during my lunchbreak I got my spare 5-port out (it reboots randomly or something so I just kept it for emergencies) and plugged that in where I had tried the 'bad' switch. The wired network went down immediately.

I noticed that one port was flashing like a bastard, confirmed that it was causing the network to go down and traced it to the second router I use as an AP for the car. No surprises, it was just swamping the network. Rebooted that router and now everything is fine. Wireless connections for everything else goes to the main router so those were fine all along, just really odd symptoms. Almost everything is wired.

I've actually had few issues with these little switches, I have 3 in the house serving little areas. They just aren't smart so can't handle loopbacks or anything flooding the network.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
I’ve posted this before but…

I found out that one of my switches default to 192.168.0.1 if there’s no DHCP available when it boots up. It boots a lot faster than the modem, which also is on 192.168.0.1. Or was. It isn’t anymore. And that little 8-port Netgear bastard is on a static IP now.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'12 Fiat 500, '87 Mercury Colony Park
How would I check to see what's causing the bottleneck with my network at home?

I get a weird slow loading into things sometimes, such as my smartTV loading up or getting a youtube or netflix show loaded up where previously before my router started taking a dump this wasn't the case? I have changed routers to the last gen Apple Airport Extreme, the tall thing. I do network tests with fast.com and others and the speeds show up as fine, so what gives? Once in a while I need to reset the modem, but the router never fucks up. So I guess modem is at fault?

GRtak

Forum Addict

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3
There does seem to be an issue with EVGAs design… the Card shouldn’t be able to fry itself, no matter what the game (menu lol) demands :bangin:

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
This should not be necessary to say but:

Freedom Phone? And it's just a rebranded Chinese cheap-o phone? They should have just called it the MAGA-phone... :ROFLMAO: Made in China, just like the MAGA-hats...