Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Ladies and gentlemen an update on my second GPU:

What is it you were saying about trusting EVGA for GPUs? :p

Saw a listing on FB marketplace for the printer model my family had in the late 90s. It was a Canon BJ200e ink jet ("BubbleJet") printer.

The listing was titled "vintage computer printer/typewriter(?)"

The first family printer was a BJC-250 with the scanner module that replaced the print head, decent little machine with the ability to easily refill the ink carts.

This is timely as I've been looking at a Dell Optiplex GL+ 5100 on eBay, the same model we got as the first family PC when I was a kid. I never appreciated how decent it really was in 1998. It was junked in 2003 or so after we got the POS Packard Bell with a Celeron but I'd really like another, if only to hear the sequence of boot up sounds again.

This one looks decent and I'm OK with the price, however the plastic back of the case is broken where the screws come through for the lid. Maybe not a big deal, maybe I could get another broken machine for its case. This one has the Intel and Dell stickers in exactly the right place to match the old one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324338051806

That I do so almost blindly. This is the RMA'd Sapphire 5600XT ;)
Fair enough. ?

GPU related, every GPU used to have an analogue output for a TV but now it seems to be impossible to get an equivalent. Lots of cheap capture cards for analogue video and LCD monitors that run from USB but nothing to output it. I want to output to my old CRT, I've tried HDMI converters but the TV always struggles with the signal.

You may need to look for SKUs specifically made for Asian markets.[or i have heard some DP outputs can be converted from DP to VGA with a cord..

You may need to look for SKUs specifically made for Asian markets.[or i have heard some DP outputs can be converted from DP to VGA with a cord..
Should've specified that I'm looking for composite video for this old TV, I'm getting a colleague at work to sniff out an old Radeon for me that I can shove in my home server and then I can use the S-video output.

We've used DP to VGA adapters at work and they're generally really good, the Microsoft ones work well with their Surface docking stations. VGA to composite is probably work experimenting with too.

Edit: I bought the Dell, will also be seeking out a PCI card with S-video output. USB will be going in and I might even hook up the parallel Zip drive I have.

Last edited:
Edit: I bought the Dell, will also be seeking out a PCI card with S-video output. USB will be going in and I might even hook up the parallel Zip drive I have.

santa-santaclaus.gif

Fractal has learned lessons!

Is there still a current "live" feed of the Tesla Roadster in space or any recent photos? I can't seem to find a definitive "no" answer, just a lot of old links that don't seem to be updated.

Is there still a current "live" feed of the Tesla Roadster in space or any recent photos? I can't seem to find a definitive "no" answer, just a lot of old links that don't seem to be updated.

Probably not. It is in an orbit beyond Mars from what I understand, and getting a signal from it would require a series of large dishes to receive it.

The orbit and its current position is continuously tracked here: https://www.whereisroadster.com/. It has long since run out of battery, and there are no solar panels or other sources of recharging on board - it's now just a passive payload, forever circling in its orbit, similar to some near-Earth asteroids.

Ahh, I didn't realize it didn't have a long-term power solution. That totally makes sense that there's no newer images. I was really hoping to see how the materials survive the solar radiation, but I get what that's not possible.

How wireless earbuds became the cash cow of the tech industry:

For the same reason that there are so many companies that make keyboards and mice, that hefty mark-up!

For the same reason that there are so many companies that make keyboards and mice, that hefty mark-up!
r/savedmeaclick :p

It's because Raycon disrupted the electronics industry...right? Isn't that what their ads say?

Once a company sees how much Apple can get from people they just need to use the FOMO to mop up the have-nots that either can't afford them or don't want Apple.

I would/will buy Airpods when they offer them in black. In the meantime my Sony WI-1000X tethered earbud headset thingy continues to please me, the bass these buds can produce is impressive.

I've got the Mifo 05 Gen 2. They were the lowest-profile ones I could find for side-sleeping (still not great, but better than most). They don't have super great battery life in the buds, but with the battery in the case, it has 100hrs of play time, so at least charge times are few and far between.

I have super limited experience with earbuds, so I can't say how they compare, sound-wise to anything else. The only bummer is that foam eartips make it so that the buds don't fit in the case, so you can only use the silicone tips.