Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

It's very rare that something makes me switch on the work computer and double check things on a Friday evening, but this one did that.

I actually randomly turned on the customer laptop last night to have it install updates and shut down for the weekend. Only to stumble upon a high-level emergency meeting discussing shutting down any projects that aren't confirmed to not be using log4j (the library having the issue), including the one I'm working on... yay 2 hours overtime around midnight on a Friday. Thankfully I could prove that we aren't affected, with not having any Java in the app stack and whatnot :)

Looking at computer speakers. Am I weird for looking at a compact USB soundboard and a pair of active studio monitors instead of the usual 2.0 or 2.1 systems?

not at all, why the soundboard though? :p Just decent active monitors, maybe a cheap usb dac, done?

I like the control and ease of setup I get from my Braun amp and passive bookshelf speakers, I wouldn't go back to active/powered speakers myself. No worries about integrated power supplies or audio circuitry breaking like I've with speakers in the past.

I'm tempted to get a USB mixer myself though, using Voicemeeter and it's just crap. Constant pops as it can't handle the audio. The fact that I can have controls on my Stream Deck and output the audio through my USB DAC and the 3.5mm audio on the motherboard is nice but not at the cost of good audio. I'll try Virtual Audio Cable first but otherwise I'll be looking for a hardware solution.

I thought I could stand pc speakers. Those creative Gigaworks I got? The plastic boxy noise they have has ruined them for me. Coming from a set of Mackie Mr5 monitors, they were worlds better and I think when I’m in a position to buy monitors again, I will.

not at all, why the soundboard though? :p Just decent active monitors, maybe a cheap usb dac, done?

I don’t know, I just like knobs. ?

I don’t know, I just like knobs. ?

like knobs?

In before @ninjacoco to tell us about big knobs.

:mrgreen: :p

For reference, I have a pair of Jamo bookshelf speakers right now. They have bluetooth that can't be turned off so it's forever blinking in pairing mode because I use the RCA input. The industry seems to be stuffing Bluetooth into everything these days bu I just want a normal honest stereo input. Alternatively I could use the soundboard as a DAC, not that I would be able to tell the difference over the 3.5mm jack on my Mac Mini M1.

The reason I'm looking to buy having an itch for a cheap soundboard is that I dabble with rented audio gear every once in a while and I figure it can't hurt to collect my own set. You never know when a 3-4 channel soundboard can come in handy as glue for whatever project you're doing.

For reference, I have a pair of Jamo bookshelf speakers right now. They have bluetooth that can't be turned off so it's forever blinking in pairing mode because I use the RCA input. The industry seems to be stuffing Bluetooth into everything these days bu I just want a normal honest stereo input. Alternatively I could use the soundboard as a DAC, not that I would be able to tell the difference over the 3.5mm jack on my Mac Mini M1.

The reason I'm looking to buy having an itch for a cheap soundboard is that I dabble with rented audio gear every once in a while and I figure it can't hurt to collect my own set. You never know when a 3-4 channel soundboard can come in handy as glue for whatever project you're doing.

Hasn’t the industry moved on to digital boards? Or for small stuff analog boards have their place?

I really liked the PreSonus StudioLive but that doesn’t have motorized faders there the majority of the industry seems to like.

I thought I could stand pc speakers. Those creative Gigaworks I got? The plastic boxy noise they have has ruined them for me. Coming from a set of Mackie Mr5 monitors, they were worlds better and I think when I’m in a position to buy monitors again, I will.
Yeah they were good PC speakers (I'm justifying my recommendation of them :p) but they were never as good as proper monitors. These TEAC speakers I saved from an old 90s Hi-Fi are good enough, I was going to replace them with some Klipsch monitors but I apparently I sit too close for them to be effective due to the horn designs.

Looking at computer speakers. Am I weird for looking at a compact USB soundboard and a pair of active studio monitors instead of the usual 2.0 or 2.1 systems?
Not at all weird. I've gone to a USB DAC/headphone amp/preamp and a pair of nice active monitors. It's currently 2.0 but I will be adding the .1 in a few months.

I’d like to get a set of Alesia One monitors. Them fuckers are niiiiiiice.

I’d like to get a set of Alesia One monitors. Them fuckers are niiiiiiice.
I just looked those up and I'm like "yeah they look pretty normal OH FUCK THEY'RE MASSIVE!"

Reasonably prices used it seems but they wouldn't fit on my little shelf things here.

I just looked those up and I'm like "yeah they look pretty normal OH FUCK THEY'RE MASSIVE!"

Reasonably prices used it seems but they wouldn't fit on my little shelf things here.

I know, but they're also the first set of monitors I've used where I could hear the individual tracks in the song coming in and out. When a guitar comes on, or the bass starts, or how crisp a kick drum or string instrument is. Those monitors at least for my ears sounded the best.

I know, but they're also the first set of monitors I've used where I could hear the individual tracks in the song coming in and out. When a guitar comes on, or the bass starts, or how crisp a kick drum or string instrument is. Those monitors at least for my ears sounded the best.
"There's no replacement for displacement"

When I got my first big Kenwood component system, it came with two floor-standing speakers with 15" woofers. The whole system got replaced under warranty, and I thought I was "upgrading" when the new system came with bookshelf speakers (rated for the same wattage) and a powered subwoofer. It's sooooooo not the same.