Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Who else recognizes all those names and things? ♥️My first PC I bought myself was an AMD K6-2 500, before that I had a Pentium I 60 MHz with I believe 16 MB RAM and a 640 MB HDD that I got from my father as the Pentium III 500 MHz was top of the line...

To have the space for so many treasures...

Who else recognizes all those names and things? ♥️My first PC I bought myself was an AMD K6-2 500, before that I had a Pentium I 60 MHz with I believe 16 MB RAM and a 640 MB HDD that I got from my father as the Pentium III 500 MHz was top of the line...

Ok, I don't feel so bad what I had as a teenager...

Who would have thought that the official Outlook addon for Edge, of all addons, breaks PDF preview in Outlook Web Access? Feh.

Is there such a thing as heat shrink tubing that's wide enough to fit over the end of a USB cable's plug, yes can shrink enough to the thinner cable itself? I'm not at all experienced with head shrink to know what's possible.

Who would have thought that the official Outlook addon for Edge, of all addons, breaks PDF preview in Outlook Web Access? Feh.

SA_1183_small.png

Source: 25 years of daily driving MS products.

Is there such a thing as heat shrink tubing that's wide enough to fit over the end of a USB cable's plug, yes can shrink enough to the thinner cable itself? I'm not at all experienced with head shrink to know what's possible.

I'm not well versed in shrink tubing, but I think you are looking for one that has a high ratio of shrink. Like 6:1 or something. Since I don't have the cable in hand to measure, you'd need to do the math.

For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/141831001137

there such a thing as heat shrink tubing that's wide enough to fit over the end of a USB cable's plug, yes can shrink enough to the thinner cable itself? I'm not at all experienced with head shrink to know what's possible.

Yes, heat shrink tubing comes in all sorts of sizes and ability to shrink.

I don't have any experience with head shrinking though. ?

I'm not well versed in shrink tubing, but I think you are looking for one that has a high ratio of shrink. Like 6:1 or something. Since I don't have the cable in hand to measure, you'd need to do the math.

For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/141831001137
Ahh, thanks, I didn't realize there were different ratios. The extent of my research was looking at what they had on the shelf at my local Home Depot, which was only 2:1.

I didn't know you could get 6:1, that's crazy shrinkage.

Source: 25 years of daily driving MS products.

I'm daily driving Apple at home, but this is me trying to move all my work related stuff to the Microsoft universe instead of having it spread all over my personal Lastpass and my Firefox account etc. Being able to just install Edge on my personal Mac and have everything I need within reach is nice. Also I rather like Edge Chromium. Don't tell anyone.

I have several questions. Why/How would you go about autotuning a voice that has practically limitless range? Aside from spoiling the original, which is bad enough, where would you improve it?
A little addendum to that: they also did it with Simon and Garfunkel. I'd be interested to know if I'm the only one who hears that this recording was treated with Autotune?

Edit: For comparison, here's an older recording of the same song that wasn't auto-tuned:

Last edited:
A little addendum to that: they also did it with Simon and Garfunkel. I'd be interested to know if I'm the only one who hears that this recording was treated with Autotune?

Edit: For comparison, here's an older recording of the same song that wasn't auto-tuned:

So, the question is, which version is more "true" to the artists' original recordings: one where the melody and harmonies are retained, or one where the "life" of the performance comes through? Even as a (hobby) musician, I'm actually a bit torn. There are some artists where I know I've missed their prime. I'd love to see them still performing, but just know that it won't be as high-quality of performance as maybe 20 years ago.

Art and Paul's aged, what...30 years since that earlier one? If the choice is "no performance" or "pitch-corrected performance", I might well still want to see them perform even with crutches.

I think part of problem is that it was released as a recording/video. When you're at a live performance, it's much less obvious due to the sheer volume, and to the acoustics of the venue. It's a bit how like guitarists anguish over things like pickup magnet types, wire gauges, vacccum tube brands, 9v battery vs a AC/DC power supply, and sitting at their computer flipping back and forth with high-end headphones or monitors in a sterile environment....but then you give someone like Satriani a $199 kit guitar with a shitty generic amp, and he still sounds like Satriani when recorded with a phone.

I remember one time I saw Rob Zombie performing on David Letterman, and it was TERRIBLE. Because you could hear the vocals so perfectly because it was a "direct" track, you could hear how out-of-breath he was, and how he sometimes skipped the last syllable of a phrase...but a week later, I saw him live, and in the context of the live show, you were immune to those little subtleties...but what you WOULD hear, is if he was terribly off-pitch. When you think about what makes a "bad" vocal, it's rarely about timber or vocal technique...it's usually about pitch.

I do think I still side with the "purity of the performance" side, so without pitch correction, but I can't fault someone too much for leaning on it. It's a bit like ABS or power steering, I guess, in some ways...but then again it still has to be subtle. You still need a base level of skill to make an auto-tuned vocal not sound like it's a dial-up modem connecting. Once you hear that "seeking" or "bouncing" like you hear with purposefully auto-tuned stuff, like T-Pain, then you're no longer simply using it as an aid, but is itself then the whole performance.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting but not that difficult for me : I prefer the ‘real’ recording, regardless if there’s mistakes or plain bad singing on there. That’s what makes it sound more human. The Foo Fighters record on tape because there’s no bullshit and fucking around with tracks afterwards. Yes, some mistakes made it onto the record, but they add to the character if you ask me

So, the question is, which version is more "true" to the artists' original recordings: one where the melody and harmonies are retained, or one where the "life" of the performance comes through? Even as a (hobby) musician, I'm actually a bit torn. There are some artists where I know I've missed their prime. I'd love to see them still performing, but just know that it won't be as high-quality of performance as maybe 20 years ago.

Art and Paul's aged, what...30 years since that earlier one? If the choice is "no performance" or "pitch-corrected performance", I might well still want to see them perform even with crutches.

I think part of problem is that it was released as a recording/video. When you're at a live performance, it's much less obvious due to the sheer volume, and to the acoustics of the venue. It's a bit how like guitarists anguish over things like pickup magnet types, wire gauges, vacccum tube brands, 9v battery vs a AC/DC power supply, and sitting at their computer flipping back and forth with high-end headphones or monitors in a sterile environment....but then you give someone like Satriani a $199 kit guitar with a shitty generic amp, and he still sounds like Satriani when recorded with a phone.

I remember one time I saw Rob Zombie performing on David Letterman, and it was TERRIBLE. Because you could hear the vocals so perfectly because it was a "direct" track, you could hear how out-of-breath he was, and how he sometimes skipped the last syllable of a phrase...but a week later, I saw him live, and in the context of the live show, you were immune to those little subtleties...but what you WOULD hear, is if he was terribly off-pitch. When you think about what makes a "bad" vocal, it's rarely about timber or vocal technique...it's usually about pitch.

I do think I still side with the "purity of the performance" side, so without pitch correction, but I can't fault someone too much for leaning on it. It's a bit like ABS or power steering, I guess, in some ways...but then again it still has to be subtle. You still need a base level of skill to make an auto-tuned vocal not sound like it's a dial-up modem connecting. Once you hear that "seeking" or "bouncing" like you hear with purposefully auto-tuned stuff, like T-Pain, then you're no longer simply using it as an aid, but is itself then the whole performance.
The problem is, Autotune makes the voice sound mechanical, computerized, less human.

And I can hear that. Some can't but I can. What I hear, is a computer trying to sound like Art Garfunkel.

I very much prefer the unaltered version, even if the singer isn't pitch perfect anymore. Unfortunately, the ones who made the decision to use Autotune, probably only looked at the wave form instead of listening, because wave forms don't lie, right?

Thing is, even he best singers in the world are never pitch-perfect. It's what gives their voices character and emotion.