Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Important to note - that goes for 8-character passwords, albeit with a number and one special character each.

The only way to handle passwords nowadays is to use a password manager, generate unique PWs for each service you use, and make them completely random and as long as the service will allow - each character added to those base 8 increases the search time by about 100-fold, so with nice round 32 or 64 chars you're definitely on the safe side for the foreseeable future. Using MFA as well wherever available goes without saying, of course.

I see a robust market for 90 degree plug adaptors for that connection (maybe even included in the retail packaging), both to save space, and also to reduce strain on that connection, for horizontal-mount conditions. Or at least a redesign for the cables so that the splicing/combining happens further from the plug, allowing for a tighter radius bend at the card with less stress on the assembly.

Last edited:
I would definitely need a 90 degree connector for my case and I think most people would. It's like they designed without taking the standard mid-tower size into account. Either that or they expect everyone to have those vertical mounts that restrict the fan intakes.

Anyway, I've been watching the Short Circuit movies recently after watching this video from Tested:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E15UkIex9F0
In Short Circuit 2, Johnny 5 quotes his memory as being increased to 500MB - he doesn't seem have a storage device (he can't power off without losing his memory) so we can reasonably assume that this is RAM.

A premium computer in 1988 probably had 1MB RAM, so the robot has 500x that. For context, a premium PC now would probably have 64GB RAM, and the robot would have 32TB.

I guess they thought ADA wasn't messing with the sound enough so they wanted DADADADADADADADADADADADAD?

I should've gone into the audiophile business

The CD shaver I didnt understand how that got released. Media is stored in the shiney foil, not the plastic, that’s just the backpack basically.

The CD shaver I didnt understand how that got released. Media is stored in the shiney foil, not the plastic, that’s just the backpack basically.
To someone who doesn't understand the technology but is always striving for better sound quality, the idea of 'losing' light within the plastic might make sense. Easy to fool people if you make them think digital signals are like analogue, same as those audiophile HDMI cables Linus hinted at.

The thing I liked most with the CD shaver was the possibility that shaved CDs might explode due to lost strength, that makes listening to them infinitely more exciting.

Watching the live AMD presentation. This guy just *killed*...the energy in the room. 😅

1667506595953.png

He sounds like someone giving a presentation based on a Powerpoint slideshow he's never seen before.

Anyone know what the "Drive Condition" levels are in Samsung Magician?

Mine are all currently showing "Good", but...does it go "Excellent, Very Good, Good, Poor, Critical"? Or is "Good" the best? I have one drive that's written 0.9x it's capacity, and one that's written 50x it's capacity, and they are both "Good", so I can't tell from that...

If "Good" is 3/5, I might jump on a Black Friday deal...but if "Good" is still the top score, then I'll hold off.

I have one drive that's written 0.9x it's capacity, and one that's written 50x it's capacity, and they are both "Good", so I can't tell from that...
seeing that usually SSDs have a TBW rating of... maybe 200-1000x their capacity (?) i'd argue that at 50x it should probably still be in the best category they have :dunno:

seeing that usually SSDs have a TBW rating of... maybe 200-1000x their capacity (?) i'd argue that at 50x it should probably still be in the best category they have :dunno:
Ahh, yeah. Good call. I had it in my head that it was more like 100x

They are also 6 years old (going on 7) if that matters...

Mine are all still showing as "good", I think that's the highest level. The 1TB 960 EVO in this machine has written 67x its capacity, no noticeable loss in performance. A Crucial BX500 on a company machine I was using, however...

1668675138678.png

I'd say something isn't right there. Or should I say isn't write. It took 2.5 hours to install a small software update.

Last edited:
Talking about SSD's, I've been looking to buy a second or new one and I can't seem to decide what to do. When I built this computer its main use was for lighter tasks, but built a little overkill/future-proof to leave room for other applications and upgrades (Ryzen 4650G, 16GB DDR4-3600, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD). Because of the intended use and to cut costs I only added a 500GB SSD + a 4TB HDD for storing things like music, pictures, ... + cloud storage for work related stuff.
Since it seems the computer is also going to get used for running AutoCAD, Revit and some occasional games, apart from adding a GPU my 500GB SSD wont be big enough.

I can't decide whether I should replace the current SSD with a bigger one or just add a bigger one in the second M.2 slot.
As a said I currently have a Samsung 970 EVO installed, my B550 board has 2 M.2 slots (one supporting both PCIe x4 3.0 and 4.0 and the second one only supporting 3.0). Prices have dropped and speeds have gone up since I built this computer, a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB for example has not only double the capacity but also double the (theoretical) maximum read- and write speeds for less money than I originally paid for my current SSD.
But then I start wondering: will I really notice that difference, does it make sense putting those completely different drives in 1 machine, future-proofing is nice but do I need a PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD, ...? And all those questions are connected so I can't seem to make up my mind :ROFLMAO:.

will I really notice that difference
this is probably the central question here - and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and go hard no. you most probably will not.

does it make sense to put these drives "side by side"? sure, you say you need the storage capacity, so there you go! sure it'd make most sense to take the new drive as the new main drive, put it in the (theoretically) faster slot and all... but imo the effort of moving the OS and stuff over to the new drive probably isn't worth it - which is sort of cycling back to my no on the will-you-notice...

all that said: i bought a 980pro just a few weeks ago myself... and i don't even need the storage space :|

I agree it's unlikely that you would notice a difference between the 970 EVO and a 980 PRO. I'd recommend getting a SATA SSD like the 870 EVO for games, that's what I have here. 1TB 960 EVO system disk, 2TB 870 EVO for games, 2TB 860 QVO for videos and 1TB 850 EVO for photos.

I've also bought a 980 PRO 2TB for my new build, all the SATA disks will all be moved straight to that. In fact as it'll be in the same case they won't even move. Actually Samsung still haven't paid me my cashback on that 980 PRO despite it being approved. :unsure:

For my build I'm just waiting for the Corsair H150i Elite to appear at a sale price now, I have some MX-6 thermal compound coming at some point and then I have everything I need.