Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
The JBL A to C cable won’t physically fit in the Apple devices.

wtf how is that even possible?
I have an Apple USB A extension cord. It seems to get tighter and tighter every time I use it. I think , at some point, it's going to require a pliers to remove it. I didn't need it the last time I unplugged it, but it's close.

Tram

Ring, ring!
I'm sorry for spamming this thread, but a schoolmate from uni needs a new PC, and has a budget of ~€750. I offered help, as I take that I know a little about PCs. I suggested mixing new and used parts, as inspired by an LTT video. The idea is as following:
  • Brand new parts would be a B550(M) mobo, 16GB of whatever 2x8GB DDR4 3200/3600 non-crap we can find for a good deal, decent 650W/750W PSU, and a case. Whatever case we can find that has good airflow and doesn't break the bank
  • Used parts would be: a Ryzen 5 3600 and a stock cooler, an RX Vega 64 (those can be found for dirt cheap apparently), and his current SSDs/HDDs
The idea is that we start with the build that uses some used parts, and then get a Ryzen 7 5700X/5800X down the road, as well as an RTX 3060 Ti, and an NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Kingston NV2 or whatever the budget allows then. Are there any significantly better options? Am I mismatching or making errors here? I've never built a PC from scratch before.

Also, the PC would be used primarily for gaming, and some uni work. (We study the same thing, IT design, so some Cinema 4D animations, some Adobe programs. Nothing too in depth.)

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
I'll leave the definitive answers on AMD compatibility to someone else because I'm not experienced in that (I deliberately avoided it for my new build), but the chipset compatibilty with 3000 series and 5000 on AM4 looks good. As long as the RAM specs match and the NVMe keying is correct, it sounds like a solid plan.

The only thing I'd change is putting a better cooler on it from the start, it'll just work better. If you're re-using one, make sure it's cleaned well. Compressed air is best. Maybe go for 1x16GB RAM module to give headroom for upgrading, assuming that the motherboard can handle it. You know how Adobe software eats RAM.

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Might get a 3700X for similar money, same TDP.

Worth getting a 1Tb NVMe or for main drive.

B550 is PCIe 3

Fans: Noctua, BeQuiet

Motherboards:

cases

Last edited:

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Mazda MX-5 NB ringmeet fashion accessory
Am I mismatching or making errors here?
That combination works. I have an ASRock B450 board and replaced a Ryzen 5 2600 with a 5600G when the graphics cards prices were absurd and my old graphics card died. B550 boards generally have M.2 NVMe slots as well so he can always plug in an NVMe SSD as replacement/addition to the current SATA SSD. The difference between PCIe 3 and PCIe 4 is negligible.

Tram

Ring, ring!
The only thing I'd change is putting a better cooler on it from the start, it'll just work better. If you're re-using one, make sure it's cleaned well. Compressed air is best. Maybe go for 1x16GB RAM module to give headroom for upgrading, assuming that the motherboard can handle it. You know how Adobe software eats RAM.

Okay, will look into a better cooler, although a bundled cooler might be necessary at first for budgetary reasons. As for the RAM, will he be able to notice the difference between single-channel and dual-channel?

Might get a 3700X for similar money, same TDP.

In this case, it'd make sense to get a better cooler from the start. The reason I suggested 3600 is because they're like €100 in classifieds. 3700X is not that much more, but we'll see once he starts buying parts.

Worth getting a 1Tb NVMe or for main drive.

That's the plan, but he has a 500GB SSD drive which will have to do for the start. I know NVMe from start would be great, but once again, we'll see if the budget will allow it.

Oh well, that means he can save some money. Although I'm starting to think of B450 as well, it's considerably cheaper.

Fans: Noctua, BeQuiet

Motherboards:

cases

That's some useful info, thanks!

That combination works. I have an ASRock B450 board and replaced a Ryzen 5 2600 with a 5600G when the graphics cards prices were absurd and my old graphics card died. B550 boards generally have M.2 NVMe slots as well so he can always plug in an NVMe SSD as replacement/addition to the current SATA SSD. The difference between PCIe 3 and PCIe 4 is negligible.

Great to know, thanks! B450 is an alternative, I might persuade him to go for a B450/3700X combo because in all honesty, B450 doesn't seem any worse, and the difference in price is enough to consider going that route.

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Mazda MX-5 NB ringmeet fashion accessory
Well, the B450 is older so support might be limited, I just stated that even on older mainboards the latest AM4 CPUs usually work. B550 mainboards don't really break the bank so IMHO it's not worth buying a used B450 board to save just 20-30 Euros/150-220 HRK.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
There are better places to save small amounts of money than on the motherboard, the B450 also only has USB 3.1 vs 3.2. Small things but they matter if the machine is going to last a number years. :)

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Cargobike
Oh well, that means he can save some money. Although I'm starting to think of B450 as well, it's considerably cheaper.
Not to be too nitpicky here, but the quote is wrong. The link behind it clearly states B550 is actually pcie 4, not pcie 3 (everywhere it matters at least, so GPU & storage). To be fair, that may have been the original point (as a differentiator to 450) and simply a typo :D

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Cargobike
Yeah, looking around a bit, it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer - but the "classic" solution would be to have the x16 slot and one (!) M2 slot using the 20 pcie 4.0 lanes provided by the CPU and all other pcie using 3.0 lanes provided through the chipset.

Looks like it varies depending on which B450 board you get, this ASUS board says PCIe 3.0 and 2.0. :-?
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asu...0-dual-m2-2-way-crossfire-gbe-usb-32-gen2-atx

Ha! Actually looking at that board - which is a B450 board - this shows the exact thing I'm talking about but with all pcie one generation lower. GPU gets 3.0, one M2 slot gets 3.0 and everything else gets 2.0. This should be the same with most B550 boards, only one generation up.

Last edited:

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
I keep things simple for myself by limiting myself to ASUS Strix boards and then just picking the most suitable/best value.

I'm still a bit scared of modern AMD, it was nice and simple when I had my socket 939 Athlon 64 X2. Really regret selling that kit now. The first ASRock board had scoket 939 and proprietry socket for an AM2 processor board, never used it because the motherboard smoked itself.

Tram

Ring, ring!
Not to be too nitpicky here, but the quote is wrong. The link behind it clearly states B550 is actually pcie 4, not pcie 3 (everywhere it matters at least, so GPU & storage). To be fair, that may have been the original point (as a differentiator to 450) and simply a typo :D

Truth to be told, I was kinda tired last night while looking at the article, and only looked at the (erroneous) chart. So yeah, PCIe 4 means it will be better for future upgrades. Which is certainly nice!

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
Over the last 3 days I've rebuild two computers and today I built my new one. A couple of snags but I'll save all of that for the other thread when it's all done. In the meantime, I did a couple of benchmarks on this new 2TB 980 Pro and I reckon I can live with these speeds...

Screenshot 2022-12-12 181504.png
Screenshot 2022-12-12 181457.png

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Cargobike
I usually go to bed with one AirPod and a podcast playing. Usually, I wake up at sind point with the AirPod still in place so I can put it away. Not today though. My phone has just informed me that my right AirPod has 10% battery left. I have no idea where it is. Can’t find it either… 🤷‍♂️ it’ll show up at some point I guess?

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
2006 Mercedes E200 Kombi
I usually go to bed with one AirPod and a podcast playing. Usually, I wake up at sind point with the AirPod still in place so I can put it away. Not today though. My phone has just informed me that my right AirPod has 10% battery left. I have no idea where it is. Can’t find it either… 🤷‍♂️ it’ll show up at some point I guess?

Isnt there a find my AirPod thing?

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Cargobike
Isnt there a find my AirPod thing?
maybe? I dunno... my 2nd gen airpods definitely don't support that... or at least not with the UWB precision finding thingamajig like the airtags do. also: since that airpod is now out of battery, I'd suspect that wouldn't work anymore anyway :ROFLMAO:

... yeah I just checked, my airpods show up in find my, but they only report basically the last position they were connected to one of my devices in. so it tells me they're "home", which isn't all that helpful.

Tram

Ring, ring!

I don't wanna scare you, but there are stories of people swallowing AirPods during sleep...

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
2006 Mercedes E200 Kombi
I don't wanna scare you, but there are stories of people swallowing AirPods during sleep...

And you only thought your taste of music was shitty. 😆

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Cargobike
Haha, I don't quite believe people manage that without waking up. That'd be quite a feat... I mean, they're small and all, but very long, so swallowing would be extremely uncomfortable. And even if I were to somehow manage it, so be it - that way I'd at least have an excuse to get gen3 douchepods! :p Think positive!

also: found it. inside the duvet cover. yeees.