Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Sounds like a loopback and the switch isn't correctly configure to handle that. I'd guess the network port in the printer is faulty/damaged or the cable is dodgy - either a custom made cable that was made incorrectly or it's a crossover cable that has been used by mistake.

Any recommendations at around €50 for a PCIe 3.0 500GB/512GB drive?

I thought about sticking with Samsung, as the 980 that’s in my parents’ PC works pretty well, and I can get a 970 Evo Plus for just €2 more. But are there better deals to be found from other manufacturers? A good thing about Samsung drives is that they’re omnipresent, meaning it’s easy to find a PC shop selling one.
As always, this is the point where I say I only buy Samsung SSDs and I've been rewarded with 100% reliability. Even the 980 Pro that came with the 'bad' firmware was fine and has now been upgraded. The 980 is better than the 970 EVO Plus, so I'd say get that. You've also had experience with it.

The Crucial BX500 they keep buying at work is cheaper and functions, but we've already had some odd behaviour. cheap Sandisk and Kingston SSDs have proven themselves to be rubbish, they just can't maintain fast read and write speeds. Samsung is, IMO, worth the extra coin every time. Unless you plan to flip the laptop and sell it, in which case a BX500 is probably fine.

Makes me wonder if that already happened and that is why it wasn't installed. 😂

No, it was untouched. And for the record, turning the switch off and on again fixed everything.

First time I've ever managed to mess something up by plugging in a new network device.

In other news: I sent the drone 2,5km away today. Several times. Got it back, too.

So I've been adding to my selection of Energenie remote controlled products. I added the remote light switch for this room a while back so I could remotely turn the main lights on and off while using my CZUR scanner, that switch started bugging out so I replaced it and that one is fine so far. Maybe my LED light bulbs aren't compatible after all.

I added a 4-way strip that has individual control for each socket* and that worked well with the light strips I added to my cubes. I also added the switch to my bedside shelf as detailed here.

Amazon had the Energenie Gateway on sale along with three remote sockets and a remote control, so I grabbed it. It was a very good price. I got this set up in the same room as all the remote stuff, as I have an 8 port Netgear switch in there. The gateway doesn't have Wi-Fi, which is fine for me but a bit behind the times.

Once set up, it's pretty simple to configure via the app or on the website.
1682093762533.png

Some parts are a bit confusing though. For example, you can name each socket on the 4-way, set timers for them individually and you can control them individually on the website or app as shown above.
1682093844124.png

However, you can't add an individual socket to a group. You have to add the entire device. In which case I would've been better off buying a dumb 4-way extension and plugging remote sockets into it. As you can see above, the entire 4-way is added to the 'My Devices' group.

Groups are a bit odd, you have to delete all devices from a group before the delete option appears.

The main issue with the gateway, though, is the micro-USB port that it uses for power. The provided cable is a real wobbly fit and doesn't seem to connect consistently, twice this week I've moved something near it and then found out hours later that the web page doesn't work or that a timer hasn't worked. :glare:

Yeah, this about sums up my experiences with ChatGPT so far. I feel like I'm batting .000 with it.

1682147527322.png

Strangely enough, I'll be seriously looking at one next month too. The Mini3 Pro without the RC controller. I was thinking about one a couple of months ago, went cold on the idea and now I've been reminded that I could essentially use it as a low altitude flying tripod for filming the Discovery off road and such.

I'd welcome a drone thread if there isn't one!

So, YouTube apparently has changed their API so my KODI plugin couldn't play videos anymore... but someone in the GitHub thread on the issue posted a solution/workaround. Fiddled with that, and it works again. I hope it stay that way for a while.

Also, I should get a new, current RasbPi to be able to actually run the current version... :D

Screw you EE, you increased my 60GB 4G tariff (with EU roaming) to £25.85, so I've 'upgraded' to a £25 125GB 5G tariff that includes global roaming that I can switch out with other things (like Xbox Game Pass) when I'm not using it.

I know they ultimately win but I'm taking some satisfaction in getting more out of them for my money than I did before.

And here I am paying 20euro for 20GB 4G/5G (or 29euro for 70GB), cheaper could be possible but then you end up with one of the small operators and I have too many bad experiences with small operators and their lack of customer support. It's ridiculous what we pay for mobile and internet in Belgium when you compare with most other European countries. 2x 20euro for 2x 20GB for my wife and me + 35euro for internet at home which is still DSL (100Mbps advertised download and 40Mbps advertised upload (actual speeds 65-85Mbps down and 15-25Mbps up)) since there's no fiber in our street or pretty much the entire town.

We get shafted on upload speeds here for home internet but mobile isn't bad. My home connection is 250Mbps down (which it regularly exceeds, it just did 276) but only 26Mbps up.

As far as the mobile internet, there's no 5G out here in the sticks yet but I'll get it in the city.

Here I’m thrilled to have 1000mb/50mb for €40/month. :/

I pay more for my phone plan, but that’s because I’ve got international shit so US travel isn’t an issue.