Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Garmin is good, so I’ve heard. I don’t own one, but seems to be the go to after the Apple Watch

Garmin is good, so I’ve heard. I don’t own one, but seems to be the go to after the Apple Watch
Bit of a different focus though, much rather a fitness/sports watch rather than smartwatch.

As for the weird in between thing that’s not quite a full fledged smartwatch, I’ve always liked the hybrid approach of the Withings watches. But I wouldn’t really consider them particularly rugged/robust…

… how is there not a g-shock equivalent? Or is there? 🙈

I've just noticed that my KodiTV does in fact have LibreSpot installed so I can listen to Spotify via my HiFi system by just controlling playback with the app on my phone.

I usually use the Kodi only for video. :D

*shrug* I just have a Logitech Bluetooth adapter. 🙈

My parents desperately need a new wi-fi setup. I'm currently running Netgear Orbi setups at home and at the cottage, zero issues, and I've been burned too many times by shit products lately to dare try anything else.

So why the hell is an Orbi Wi-Fi 6 three-pack suddenly €1200? Or €1700.

So why the hell is an Orbi Wi-Fi 6 three-pack suddenly €1200? Or €1700.
To prepare everyone for the WiFi 7 prices where one AP is 600€+.
… I’m honestly afraid of how close to the truth I actually might be with this theory 😐

Thinner tab bars on Firefox (or Waterfox). I use Waterfox as my main browser, the wasted space on the tab bar always bothered me, but I finally found a way to make it thinner.

Quick Steps

1. In Firefox’s address bar, type about:config and press enter.
  2. Note the warning, and “Continue” if you are comfortable
  3. In the search bar, search for uidensity
  4. Change the 0 value of browser.uidensity to 1
  5. The effect is immediate

Thinner tab bars on Firefox (or Waterfox). I use Waterfox as my main browser, the wasted space on the tab bar always bothered me, but I finally found a way to make it thinner.

It doesn't really bother me on my 29" monitor, but on my 17" laptop this might actually make a big difference (y).

That's pretty much why I need it.

Have four bsky codes if anyone wants one

My phone camera is acting up... iphone 13 pro, so I am considerably annoyed by this.

When taking video, the phone will record a weird phantom noise, a combination of extreme wind noise (without any actual wind) and a sort of loud ticking sound. it makes any video completely unuseable. and there is no way to get rid of it reliably. sometimes turning of stereo recording helps. sometimes changing from 1080 to 4k helps. sometimes rebooting the phone helps. but it always just gets rid of the issue for maybe one recording or two, sometimes the noise will just go away after a few seconds of recording, sometimes it'll only start after a few seconds. it's there whether I have my wallet on the phone or not. there are threads about this exact issue on apple forums from 2.5 years ago, so I don't think expect there to ever be a software fix for it, since the issue seems kinda rare.

also my phone is out of warranty or anything, so while I could just go to apple and tell them to fix it, I fully expect I'd be paying out of my ass for it. monkeys.
crosspost from things that annoy me.

went to the apple store to have their GENIUS take a look at this crap. and wow, the service processes are really impressive. the whole automation of the process, everything running smoothly, the phone actually running its own diagnostics triggered by the tech and coming to the conclusion that yes, mics are fuuuucked.
tech ran away for 5 min with my phone to give it a clean, ran the diagnostics again there and then in a super crowded and loud store and it came back all green. so yeah... 2 and a bit years of pocket lint and crud in the mic and speaker opening had clogged them up so well that the wind-noise-reducing algorithm was just going absolute apeshit all the time. incredible.

also: yes this is the week before christmas but holy crap was there a lot of staff in that apple store!

I just received an E-Mail from my mobile phone provider. Apparently phone providers in the EU have to inform their customers once a year about their plans and if there is a better suited plan or something. I'm currently on a plan which includes 1 GB of mobile data, 100 minutes of calling and 100 SMS for 3,99 Euros per month. I never exceed those limits, but according to them an allnet flat with 15 GB of mobile data for 12,99 Euros would be better suited for me... :rofl:

Apparently phone providers in the EU have to inform their customers once a year about their plans and if there is a better suited plan or something.
I just had a phone call on Monday about this.
We have all our three callphones, landline, home internet and cabel service bundled up. We never go over the limits either. Their offer: an extra SIM card. :cautious:

I'm still quite satisfied that I got one-up over my provider earlier this year. They had increased the price of my old 4G package to the point where I could 'upgrade' to a cheaper 5G package that offered more data and a free-add on that I could change instead of it just being locked to EU roaming.

As I rarely need roaming it's currently giving me a free Xbox Game Pass sub, all for less than I would be paying for me old package. If I know I will need roaming, I can switch it to worldwide roaming for that month.

Had to restart my smartphone today. Why they hell has rebooting a pc gone from 5minutes to less than a 1minute in the past decade or so, but has rebooting a phone done the exact opposite?

Thankfully I don't have to reboot or turn on my phone nearly as frequently as my computer.

Probably a combination of weaker hardware than desktop PC and the phone makers know you're not restarting their phones often, so they don't optimize for it.

This is what ultimately caused me to move from Android to iPhone, I just rebooted my (new) iPhone and it took about 20 seconds. The hardware used for Android phones varies so much there can't be a consistent experience.