Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I can't say I've ever thought phone boot times were particularly important.

What annoys me more, and this is an Apple thing, is when you're installing a system update and it can't just get on with it. One click should be enough. I shouldn't have to babysit the phone/ipad/mac while it's doing its thing in case it wants me to OK the update yet again.

What annoys me more, and this is an Apple thing, is when you're installing a system update and it can't just get on with it. One click should be enough. I shouldn't have to babysit the phone/ipad/mac while it's doing its thing in case it wants me to OK the update yet again.
In a similar vein: automatic update time slots from 10 years ago. My phone I still charge overnight, so that’s fine, at least for me - but I can see it not work eg for my wife who charges for an hour or so every night. the Apple Watch is still the same as well… rather than just go and install as soon as it’s charging and >50% battery, it’ll wait to be charging in the middle of the night. which just isn’t /shouldn’t be a thing as it does sleep tracking?

What are these ads trying to sell?

Screenshot_20240112-132943_Samsung News.jpgScreenshot_20240112-132927_Samsung News.jpgScreenshot_20240112-132904_Samsung News.jpgScreenshot_20240112-132823_Samsung News.jpgScreenshot_20240112-132809_Samsung News.jpgScreenshot_20240112-132751_Samsung News.jpgScreenshot_20240112-132731_Samsung News.jpgScreenshot_20240112-132713_Samsung News.jpgScreenshot_20240112-132652_Samsung News.jpg

I guess they're just going for clicks, because they know people are clueless and will panic if they're given a deadline with potential disaster tied to it. See the millennium bug.

Several of those appear to be iPhones.

Oh, I'm sure they are just fear mongering to get clicks...I'm just genuinely curious what they are actually trying to sell once they get your click. I'm not willing to click on them to find out. 😅

I'm going on a sailing holiday with a group of people I don't know, and in preparation, I saved their phone numbers... turns out, three out of four use Signal for instant messaging. This suprises me in a very positive way. :)

Finally, my 30 year old electricity meter was replaced by a somewhat modern one. I was hoping for a proper smart setup, with automated consumption reporting and maybe an API I could get to to get energy usage metrics for my smart home setup... but this being Germany, the "new" unit doesn't even have a single attachment point for any sort of connectivity. It's digital and not spinning-disk-with-dials, but that's about it.

However! All digital meters in Germany at least have a diagnostic IR LED. And that's, as it turns out, all one needs to read out real-time consumption. It's rather simple really: the LED pulses 10'000 times for each kWh consumed (1000 on some other meters intended for "larger" consumers).

Some very brief research quickly yielded Home Assistant Glow - a ESPHome-based, very cheap and very simple to setup (provided you already run Home Assistant) project to read exactly this sort of IR LED port. A little digging through my RC/drone/fpv/whatever boxes of stuff resulted in an unused NodeMCU with an ESP8266 and the exactly correct sort of IR photodiode recommended by the project - I don't even remember what I bought those for originally :D but the total material value is maybe 10€ or so here. Printed an enclosure and routed some wiring somewhat neatly around the big scary box of electricity in the cellar, and voi-la - I now have real-time power readings! Time to do... something with them I guess :D

IMG_0393 (1).jpg IMG_0392.jpeg IMG_0391.jpeg
Results:
photo_2024-01-22_17-50-19.jpg

Are you stealing the electricity for that thing from the ALLGEMEINSTROM??? 😮 criminal! 🤣

Neat. I think what really shows how „smart“ and nicely connectable those things are, is how every PV installs first act of business is putting their own meter right behind the grid one… Yup. So you don’t have to rely on that dodgy POS but have something reliable with a proper interface to work with that reads the exact same thing.

Also: every time someone gets a German Smart meter I always recommend them the extra 3 ““Smart““meter segment from Hamburg from 10 years ago where the guy shows how to communicate with the damn thing via flashlight and (not really) Morse code 🤣 here goes:

View: https://youtu.be/aqHauk3bNFA

Are you stealing the electricity for that thing from the ALLGEMEINSTROM??? 😮 criminal! 🤣
All involved parties have been informed and expressed consent :D Running this thing likely uses less power in a year or so than a single timed "run" of the stairway lights. I would be happy to power it from my own circuit, but there's no available socket anywhere in the vicinity, unfortunately :)

All involved parties have been informed and expressed consent :D Running this thing likely uses less power in a year or so than a single timed "run" of the stairway lights.
SEHR GUT!
I know the actual power draw is completely negligible, but that doesn't mean that some very german neighbor might not just protest out of the principle of the thing.

We had talks with a building owned by vonovia that we wanted to run one of our lorawan gateways on - which also have a ridiculously low power draw (average somewhere around 3-5 Watt, maybe). But they said that they can't run any 3rd party devices off their ALLGEMEINSTROM because of the principle of the thing (so that nobody would notice and complain), never mind how small the actual consumption was. So they said we'd have to get our own grid connection and meter installed - for 5 W. Yup. They were perfectly happy for us to put a solar panel and a battery on their roof, though :p

I would be happy to power it from my own circuit, but there's no available socket anywhere in the vicinity, unfortunately :)
Yeah, that usually is the case and a real oversight - even in our single family home, there's no socket in the direct vicinity of the meter cabinet. In a multi-party home, I could understand (because most times everyone has access) the reasoning, but here? I mean... I could just put one there, buuuut... theoretically still illeeeeeeegal for me to do so. There is a pair of wires carrying power from before the meter though, to run the optional communication parts of the smart meter that aren't there, hehehehe...

I was randomly browsing laptops online until I found some chromebooks. I then realized it's possible to pay over €2000 for a 13.5" ChromeBook now.

Anyone care to explain why a glorified web browser should cost that much? I'm sure it's well built, but so is a MacBook Pro.

I was randomly browsing laptops online until I found some chromebooks. I then realized it's possible to pay over €2000 for a 13.5" ChromeBook now.

Anyone care to explain why a glorified web browser should cost that much? I'm sure it's well built, but so is a MacBook Pro.
ChromeBooks aren't what they used to be, you can now get them with the same powerful internals you can get in any x86 laptop PC.

But yes, why anyone would get that to do web browser based tasks is beyond me, when you can get an M1 or even an M2 MacBook Air for about half of that.

Is any of it due to institutional standardization, something akin to TI calculators being a requirement in schools?

I was unsure where to put this, it's a brand new product category for them so it doesn't belong in the Apple Silicon thread, not really an iOS-device either, although the OS is closely related to the iPad.

It looks really cool though, but not $3500 cool:

View: https://youtu.be/SaneSRqePVY?si=tIRCbiAlP2rE6_85

View: https://youtu.be/dtp6b76pMak?si=uAwEh0nYELYCQlUy
This could be a nice addition like five or six years from now, I think it needs at least 2 or 3 product cycles, and get into a much lower price range to be worth considering to me, like less than $1 000.

I think it needs at least 2 or 3 product cycles
Agreed, for sure… although for a first generation product it’s actually quite polished already.
less than $1 000.
Honest question: how? Am iPhone is now basically 1000$. This thing is more of everything - and it has to be, otherwise the experience would probably suffer too much. More screens, more sensors, more everything - it can’t rationally be cheaper than an iPhone.

What I find very funny about all the reviews is the “it’s an impressive first gen product, but I can’t see what it’s possibly for, so it’s gonna be a huge flop” kind of conclusion a lot of tech outlets are posting. Isn’t that the exact same thing that those exact tech outlets posted about the first iPhone when that was announced? 😜

I would like to have an hour with a Vision Pro for sure. It's new and shiny tech after all. But I'm very happy with my casual internet being on a slate and not strapped to my face.

But I'm very happy with my casual internet being on a slate and not strapped to my face.
tbh that was also my reaction when the ipad was introduced - now i own one. the point i'm really trying to make is, just because you can't imagine what the possible benefit might be, may not mean that someone else might not come up with something that you do end up liking after all ;-)

it may not be true in this particular case and the whole category may turn out a huge flop, but i just found the arrogance of the tech outlets very tickling, after they got proven wrong with that exact line of reasoning before. multiple times.

I would like to have an hour with a Vision Pro for sure.
I'd even love to own one full stop - I can see the appeal for certain stuff for sure, especially the flagship shit they show off in their "trailers" - I just wouldn't ever pay that kind of money for one.

Marques has said multiple times that his ideal scenario use for this is media consumption on a plane. And for that, I'm sure it's brilliant...but then you could just get a Bigscreen Beyond which by most accounts has terrific screens, much lighter, just as much visual isolation, and also costs 70% less because you're not paying for all of the extra productivity technology/cameras/sensors.

The fact that he was able to play ping pong against an IRL player while using the camera pass-through was impressive.

What I find very funny about all the reviews is the “it’s an impressive first gen product, but I can’t see what it’s possibly for, so it’s gonna be a huge flop” kind of conclusion a lot of tech outlets are posting. Isn’t that the exact same thing that those exact tech outlets posted about the first iPhone when that was announced? 😜
The iPhone and iPad alike. Both were predicted to be flops.

The phone and pad have a much wider general use and user to help make them successful. And both had similar competing devices that were also successful on their own.

This has none of that going for it. I agree with Linux Sebastian, this really is more of a development kit for a later device.